|The Right Honourable
Dame Joan Ruddock
|Minister of State for Energy|
8 June 2009 – 11 May 2010
|Prime Minister||Gordon Brown|
|Preceded by||Mike O'Brien|
|Succeeded by||Charles Hendry|
|Member of Parliament
for Lewisham Deptford
11 June 1987
|Preceded by||John Silkin|
|Born||Joan Mary Anthony
28 December 1943
Pontypool, Monmouthshire, Wales
|Alma mater||Imperial College London|
Dame Joan Ruddock, DBE, MP (née Joan Mary Anthony; born 28 December 1943, in Pontypool, Torfaen) is a British Labour Party politician who has been the Member of Parliament (MP) for Lewisham Deptford since 1987. Ruddock was Minister of State for Energy at the Department of Energy and Climate Change until 11 May 2010. She is standing down at the next election.
Ruddock was educated at Pontypool Girls grammar school and at Imperial College London. Prior to her election to Parliament, she was chair of the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament, a UK pressure group; she resigned in 1985.
During the government of Tony Blair, she briefly served as Minister for Women. She returned to government when Gordon Brown appointed her Parliamentary Under Secretary of State at Defra in June 2007 with responsibility for biodiversity, climate change adaptation, waste and domestic forestry. In October 2008 she was transferred to the newly created Department of Energy and Climate Change, continuing in her previous role. In the June 2009 reshuffle she was promoted to Minister of State level, with responsibility for energy policy, which she held until the fall of the Labour Government in 2010.
- Goldsmiths "Pairing politicians and scientists"; retrieved 12 November 2012
- Trinity Laban Joan Ruddock profile
- "Privy Council appointments, 9 June 2010". Privy Council. Retrieved 26 July 2010.
- The London Gazette: . 31 December 2011.
- Contributions in Parliament at Hansard 1803–2005
- Electoral history and profile at The Guardian
- Voting record at Public Whip
- Record in Parliament at TheyWorkForYou
- Profile at Westminster Parliamentary Record
- Profile at BBC News Democracy Live
- Articles authored at Journalisted
- Joan Ruddock audio interview on Women's Parliamentary Radio discussing her job as Minister in charge of Climate Change, Waste and Recycling and Biodiversity in the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs
|Chair of CND
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|Member of Parliament for Lewisham Deptford