|Born||March 5, 1926
Forest Hills, New York, U.S.
|Died||March 22, 1987 (aged 61)
Hollywood, California, U.S.
|Other names||Joan Fulton|
Her most notable roles were small roles in Jack Lemmon and Billy Wilder films. Her most famous role may have been as "Sweet Sue" in the 1959 classic comedy Some Like It Hot, starring Marilyn Monroe, Tony Curtis, and Jack Lemmon. She appeared as "Sylvia" in The Apartment, which starred Lemmon, Fred MacMurray, and Shirley MacLaine, and as "Amazon Annie" in Irma la Douce, which also starred Lemmon and MacLaine. She had a recurring role on TV in The Dick Van Dyke Show as "Pickles Sorrell", starred in her own brief series The Adventures of Aggie, and was a regular on Betty Hutton's short-lived series Goldie and on the 1976-1977 crime drama The Feather and Father Gang.
As reported in her obituary in the L.A. Times, she died of cancer, in Hollywood, California, March 22, 1987, aged 61.
Selected filmography and television
- Inside Job (1946)
- Lover Come Back (1946)
- Buck Privates Come Home (1947)
- The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet (1953)
- From Here to Eternity (1953)
- Pride of the Blue Grass (1954)
- A Star Is Born (1954)
- The Adventures of Aggie (1956)
- Some Like It Hot (1959)
- The Apartment (1960)
- The Dick Van Dyke Show (1963)
- Irma la Douce (1963)
- Critic's Choice (1963)
- Tony Rome (1967)
- Live A Little Love A Little (1968)
- Willard (1971)
- Columbo (1971) (Season 1, Episode 4: Suitable for Framing)
- The Feather and Father Gang (1976-1977)
- Joan Shawlee's date of birth per SSDI at www.ancestry.com
- "Actress Joan Shawlee Dies of Cancer at 58 [sic]". The Associated Press. March 31, 1987. "Miss Shawlee, who also had acted under the name of Joan Fulton ... changed her professional name after her marriage to businessman Walter Shawlee."
- Heffernan, Harold. "12 New Film Beauties Selected For Musical", Toledo Blade, November 9, 1950. She
|This article about a United States film actor or actress born in the 1920s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|