|Joan Smalls Rodriguez|
|Born||Joan Smalls Rodriguez
July 11, 1988
Hatillo, Puerto Rico
|Other names||Joanji, Joan, Joan Rodriguez|
|Alma mater||Inter American University of Puerto Rico|
|Height||5 ft 10.5 in (1.79 m)|
(US) 32.5-24-34(EU) 83-61-87
|Dress size||(US) 4; (EU) 34|
|Shoe size||(US) 9.5 ; (EU) 41 ; (UK) 7|
Joan Smalls Rodriguez[note 1] (born July 11, 1988) is a Puerto Rican fashion model. She is currently ranked the #1 model in the world according to models.com since September 2012. She also ranks at number #8 on Forbes: The World's Highest-Paid Models, 2013. In 2011, she became the first Latina face of Estée Lauder Cosmetics history. In January 2014, Smalls graced the cover of American Elle, the issue was touted as "The Return of the Supermodel". 
- 1 Family and Early Life
- 2 Career
- 2.1 2007–2010: Career beginnings
- 2.2 2010–present: Success
- 3 Philanthropy
- 4 Personal life
- 5 Note
- 6 References
- 7 External links
Family and Early Life
Joan Smalls Rodriguez was born and raised in Hatillo, Puerto Rico. She comes from a multi-ethnic/racial family. Her mother is Puerto Rican of Spanish, Taino Indian and South Asian (Indian) heritage; her father has African and Irish ancestry, from St. Thomas.
On an interview with Fashionista.com Joan clarified how she identifies as.
“There’s been some debate in the media about what race you identify yourself as. Can you clear the air?
People always try to claim you, and I think that’s amazing —Claim me all you want. I DON'T like specifically being in ONE category because I come from a family that’s diverse and multi-racial. My mother is Puerto Rican, she’s light skinned, but if you know what a Puerto Rican is, it has African, it has Taíno Indian and it has Spaniard, so I’m all of that. My father is West Indian from Saint Thomas. I’m just an island girl. I’m West Indian, I’m Puerto Rican, I’m African, I’m Taíno, I have some Irish in me, I have some Indian, so I’m just a proud mutt.”
2007–2010: Career beginnings
In 2009 she left Elite Model Management and signed with IMG Models worldwide, where she changed her focus to runway work. This led to her breakthrough after being signed as a Givenchy exclusive for Riccardo Tisci's Spring/Summer Haute Couture show in January 2010.
Since then, she has cemented her major-league status walking the Haute Couture and Ready-to-wear catwalks for all of the world's top designers and Fashion Houses, such as Chanel, Prada, Gucci, Givenchy, Marc Jacobs, Tom Ford, Burberry, Lavin, Missoni, Alexander Wang, Versace, Balenciaga, Louis Vuitton, Jean Paul Gaultier, Fendi, Dior, Oscar De La Renta, DVF and many more... She has been on the runways of the most prominent Fashion Weeks held in the Four Fashion Capitals of the world: New York, London, Milan and Paris.
Fashion and Lifestyle magazines
She has appeared in editorials for several international editions of Vogue, Harpers Bazaar, i-D, GQ, Dazed & Confused, Elle, Industrie, Interview, American and Spanish V Magazine, Glamour, and W Magazine. Her international Covers include; Vogue Italia, Vogue Australia, Vogue Japan, Vogue Turkey, Vogue Brazil, Vogue Korea, Vogue Russia, Vogue Spain, and Vogue Germany, also covers for Elle US, Elle UK, Elle France, Elle Belgium, Elle South Africa, Elle Turkey, Elle Italia, GQ South Africa, GQ Mexico, GQ Style UK, W Magazine, Photographed by Steven Meisel, who dubbed, Joan & Karlie Kloss as "Super Modern Supermodels", W Magazine Korea, InStyle Germany, i-D, Last Magazine, 032c, Harper's Bazaar UK, Harper's Bazaar Brazil, Harper's Bazaar Singapore, Harper's Bazaar Bulgaria, Harper's Bazaar Thailand, Pop, Glam Belleza Latina, Dazed & Confused, Sunday Times Style, who also proclaimed Joan, Karlie and Lara Stone as "The New Supers", Grazia, Stylist, Style.com/Print and V Magazine. She appeared in Vanity Fair and was again officially named "The New Supers", with friend and fellow model Karlie Kloss. She also appeared in the 2012 Pirelli Calendar.
Luxury and Commercial Ad campaigns
As a true sign of her bankable, Supermodel status she has become the first Puerto Rican fashion model chosen by brands to front their advertising campaigns including, amongst others, Gucci, Gucci Eyewear, Chanel, Fendi, Fendi Eyewear, Calvin Klein Jeans, Givenchy, Givenchy Eyewear, Roberto Cavalli, Lacoste, Gap, Ralph Lauren, Neiman Marcus, Woolworth S.A, Ogilvy, Next, H&M, ICB, Giambattista Valli, David Yurman, Estée Lauder(Multi-Million Dollar Contract), Mercedes-Benz, Barneys New York, Ports 1961, Rag & Bone, Prabal Gurung, Hugo Boss, Hugo Boss Eyewear, Tiffany & Co., Stella McCartney, Versace, Versace Eyewear. Missoni and Missoni Eyewear.
Joan has been photographed by the most noted, acclaimed and iconic fashion photographers in the world such as Steven Meisel, Mert and Marcus, Steven Klein, Mario Sorrenti, Mario Testino, Peter Lindbergh, Patrick Demarchelier, Nick Knight, Karl Lagerfeld, Annie Leibovitz, Craig McDean, Hans Feurer, Terry Richardson, David Sims, Inez & Vinoodh, Norman Jean Roy, Camilla Akrans, Alasdair McLellan, Ellen Von Unwerth, Emma Summerton, Josh Olins, Mikael Jansson, Daniel Jackson, Tom Munro, Willy Vanderperre, Michael Thompson, Luigi Murenu, Daniele + Iango, Sean & Seng, Sebastian Faena, Sølve Sundsbø, Giampaolo Sgura, Cass Bird, Roe Ethridge, Richard Bush, Cedric Buchet, Henrique Gendre, Victor Demarchelier, Boo George, Matt Jones, Vivian Sassen and Cuneyt Akeroglu.
In 2011, Estée Lauder signed her to its line-up of global beauty ambassadors. A golden ticket in the fashion Industry—a beauty contract with Estée Lauder, which made history as the first Latina to score a worldwide campaign for the brand.
“The word supermodel is overused, but if there’s any woman of our generation who deserves the title, it’s Joan,” says Estée Lauder global creative director Richard Ferretti. “She can go from looking girl-next-door to superchic-tough-strong—and she is all of that.” Plus, he adds: “She has the perfect face.”
“Obviously she’s beautiful,” says Aerin Lauder, senior vice president and creative director for the brand, “but she’s confident, happy, elegant, well-spoken, and grown-up—and it really comes through in her pictures. When we pick someone to represent the brand, it’s about her personality, too. It’s not just the face. You find yourself not being intimidated by her beauty, but drawn in by her warmth.” 
"Joan Smalls is one of my favorite new models. I first noticed her when she appeared as the new face of Estee Lauder. This girl has GORGEOUS skin! She has great style—sexy and elegant with a touch of tomboy thrown in! And she showed off her great moves in the Yonce video!"
Television and media
In 2006 she appeared in Ricky Martin's “It's Alright” music video. In November 2013, she co-starred with actor Michael K. Williams in the music video and short film for the American rapper ASAP Rocky's track "Phoenix", written by Asia Argento and Francesco Carrozzini while directed by the latter. In 2013, she appeared in Beyoncé's "Yoncé" video
Joan is ranked 1st on the Top 50 Models Women list by Models.com since 2012.
Joan Smalls graces the cover of ELLE's January issue. It's a major fashion "moment," as they say in the biz. In an age where celebrities dominate the covers of glossy mags, putting a model on the cover makes a statement. Smalls is ranked as the world's number one model by Models.com, but we'd say this cements her supermodel status.
In addition to her passion for fashion, Joan is involved with a non-profit organization called Project Sunshine, where she helps children with medical needs.
According to Forbes Joan currently ranks number #8 on The World's Highest-Paid Models, 2013.
No. 8: Joan Smalls
$3.5 million.Smalls is a newcomer to FORBES’ list this year, but the Puerto Rican model found stardom in the industry long before that. She already topped Models.com’s rankings back in September, and she is also the first Latina ambassador for Estee Lauder.
- "FMD Profile of Joan Smalls". Fashionmodeldirectory.com. Retrieved 2012-03-15.
- Remember this face. Joan Smalls is owning Fashion Week, Spring 2011 from batchplease.com 6 October 2010
- Grinberg, Emanuella (2012-02-17). "Puerto Rican model Joan Smalls breaks down color barriers, one runway at a time". CNN. Retrieved 2012-03-15.
- "The World's Highest-Paid Models, 2013 - Joan Smalls Rodriguez-No.8". Forbes. 2013-08-20. Retrieved 2013-08-20.
- model.com "Cover Star - American Elle Cover-Supermodel - Joan Smalls Rodriguez-Puerto Rican, Latina Supermodel". 2013-12-04. Retrieved 2013-12-06.
- ELLE "Elle Magazine-THE RETURN OF THE SUPERMODEL: IT'S JOAN SMALLS RODRIGUEZ-Puerto Rican, Latina Supermodel". 2013-12-04. Retrieved 2013-12-06.
- "Picture of Latina-Multi-Racial Supermodel- Joan Smalls Rodriguez- Parents". Latina Supermodel Joan Smalls Rodriguez -Parents. 2013-12-13. Retrieved 2013-12-13.
- "Joan Smalls at the InterAmerican University of Puerto Rico". 2011-12-20. Retrieved 2014-04-12.
- "Latina Supermodel Joan Smalls Rodriguez clears the air and identifies as Multi-Racial and not Black". Fashionista.com. 2014-02-0 5. Retrieved 2014-02-09.
- "Latina, Multi-Racial Supermodel- Joan Smalls Rodriguez-". W Magazine. 2012-07-12. Retrieved 2013-12-13.
- "CNN - Puerto Rican Model Joan Smalls Rodriguez first Latina face of Estee Lauder Cosmetics". CNN. 2012-09-07. Retrieved 2012-09-07.
- "Vogue - Breaking News: Puerto Rican Model Joan Smalls Rodriguez first Latina Signed to Estée Lauder". Vogue. 2012-09-07. Retrieved 2014-05-15.
- "Style Awards, Model of the Year Winner - Joan Smalls Rodriguez-Puerto Rican, Latina Supermodel". prnewswire. 2012-09-05. Retrieved 2013-12-26.
- "Cindy Crawford Model Monday: Joan Smalls - Joan Smalls Rodriguez-Puerto Rican, Latina Supermodel". Cindy Crawford. 2014-04-28. Retrieved 2014-07-18.
- "Bruno Mars and Joan Smalls in Puerto Rico.". Vogue. 2012-05-24. Retrieved 2012-03-15.
- "Ricky Martin and Joan Smalls Rodriguez in It's Alright Music Video.". Mr. Blasberg. 2011-12-23. Retrieved 2014-03-23.
- Busis, Hillary (24 December 2013). "Beyonce gets down with grills and girls in new 'Yonce' video -- WATCH". http://music-mix.ew.com/. Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 30 December 2013.
- "Multi-Racial Supermodel - Joan Smalls Rodriguez-". Latina Supermodel-Joan Smalls Rodriguez - Goes Big. 2012-07-12. Retrieved 2013-12-13.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Joan Smalls.|