||This article's tone or style may not reflect the encyclopedic tone used on Wikipedia. (February 2014)|
|Born||Joan Smalls Rodriguez
July 11, 1988
Hatillo, Puerto Rico
|Height||5 ft 10.5 in (1.79 m)|
(US) 32.5-24-34(EU) 83-61-87
|Dress size||(US) 4; (EU) 34|
|Shoe size||(US) 9.5 ; (EU) 41 ; (UK) 7|
Joan Smalls Rodriguez[note 1] (born July 11, 1988) is a Puerto Rican fashion model. Joan is ranked the #1 model in the world according to models.com since September 2012. Joan ranks at number #8 on Forbes: The World's Highest-Paid Models, 2013. Joan was the first Latina face of Estée Lauder Cosmetics history. In January 2014, Joan graced the cover of American Elle, the issue was dubbed "The Return of the Supermodel: It's Joan Smalls", cementing Joan's status as a Supermodel, an honor for any model. Given that American Elle is usually reserved for Hollywood starlets and singers it’s big news when a model lands on the front page. 
Early Life and Discovery
Joan Smalls Rodriguez was born and raised in Hatillo, Puerto Rico. She comes from a multi-ethnic/racial family. Her mother is Puerto Rican of Spanish, Taino Indian and South Asian (Indian) heritage; her father has African and Irish ancestry, from St. Thomas.
On an interview with Fashionista.com Joan clarified how she identifies as.
“There’s been some debate in the media about what race you identify yourself as. Can you clear the air?
People always try to claim you, and I think that’s amazing —Claim me all you want. I DON'T like specifically being in ONE category because I come from a family that’s diverse and multi-racial. My mother is Puerto Rican, she’s light skinned, but if you know what a Puerto Rican is, it has African, it has Taíno Indian and it has Spaniard, so I’m all of that. My father is West Indian from Saint Thomas. I’m just an island girl. I’m West Indian, I’m Puerto Rican, I’m African, I’m Taíno, I have some Irish in me, I have some Indian, so I’m just a proud mutt.”
global outlook on life,”
Joan graduated Magna Cum Laude from the InterAmerican University of Puerto Rico with a Bachelor's Degree in Psychology, then made the move to New York City to become a model. She was immediately signed by Elite Model Management in 2007. In 2009 she left Elite Model Management and signed with IMG Models worldwide, where she changed her focus to runway work. This led to her breakthrough after being signed as a Givenchy exclusive for Riccardo Tisci's Spring/Summer Haute Couture show in January 2010. Since then, she's cemented her major-league status walking the entire fashion alphabet from Alberta Ferretti to Viktor & Rolf and has been chosen by brands including Givenchy, Fendi, Calvin Klein Jeans, Chanel, Gucci, Roberto Cavalli and Stella McCartney to front their advertising campaigns: a true sign of her bankable, Supermodel status.
In addition to her passion for fashion, Joan is involved with a non-profit organization called Project Sunshine , where she helps children with medical needs.
Joan has walked the catwalks for the world's top designers and has appeared in campaigns for, amongst others, Gucci, Gucci Eyewear, Chanel, Fendi, Fendi Eyewear, Calvin Klein Jeans, Givenchy, Givenchy Eyewear, Roberto Cavalli, Lacoste, Gap, H&M, Giambattista Valli, David Yurman, Estée Lauder (Multi-Year, Multi-Million-Dollar Contract), Mercedes-Benz, Barneys New York, Ports 1961, Ralph Lauren, Rag & Bone, Prabal Gurung, Hugo Boss, Hugo Boss Eyewear, Tiffany & Co., Stella McCartney, Versace, and Versace Eyewear.
Joan's international Covers include, Vogue Italia, Vogue Australia, Vogue Japan, Vogue Turkey, Vogue Brazil, Vogue Korea, Vogue Russia, Vogue Spain, and Vogue Germany, also covers for Elle US, Elle UK, Elle France, Elle South Africa, Elle Belgium, Elle Turkey, GQ South Africa, GQ Mexico, GQ Style UK, W Magazine shot by Steven Meisel, who dubbed, Joan & Karlie as "Super Modern Supermodels", W Magazine Korea, i-D, Last Magazine, 032c, Harper's Bazaar UK, Harper's Bazaar Brazil, Harper's Bazaar Singapore, Harper's Bazaar Bulgaria, Harper's Bazaar Thailand, Pop, Sunday Times Style, Dazed & Confused, Stylist, Style.com/Print and V Magazine. She appeared in Vanity Fair and was officially named "The New Supers", with friend and fellow model Karlie Kloss. She also appeared in the 2012 Pirelli Calendar, and has appeared in editorials for several international editions of Vogue, Harpers Bazaar, i-D, GQ, Dazed & Confused, Elle, American and Spanish V Magazine, Glamour, and W Magazine.
Joan has worked with the most noted, acclaimed and iconic fashion photographers in the world, such as Steven Meisel, Mert and Marcus, Steven Klein, Mario Sorrenti, Mario Testino, Peter Lindbergh, Patrick Demarchelier, Nick Knight, Karl Lagerfeld, Annie Leibovitz, Craig McDean, Hans Feurer, Terry Richardson, David Sims, Inez & Vinoodh, Norman Jean Roy, Camilla Akrans, Alasdair McLellan, Ellen Von Unwerth, Emma Summerton, Josh Olins, Mikael Jansson, Daniel Jackson, Tom Munro, Willy Vanderperre, Michael Thompson, Luigi Murenu and Daniele + Iango, Sean & Seng, Sebastian Faena, Sølve Sundsbø and Cuneyt Akeroglu.
In September 2012, Joan was honored with the "Model of the Year Award" at the 9th Annual "Style Awards".
She was featured alongside singer Bruno Mars in the June 2011 edition of Vogue. In 2006 she appeared in Ricky Martin's, “It's Alright”, music video. In November 2013, she co-starred with actor Michael K. Williams in the music video and short film for the American rapper ASAP Rocky's track "Phoenix", written by Asia Argento and Francesco Carrozzini while directed by the latter. In December 2013, Joan appeared in Beyoncé's, "Yoncé", music video.
Joan Smalls graces the cover of ELLE's January issue. It's a major fashion "moment," as they say in the biz. In an age where celebrities dominate the covers of glossy mags, putting a model on the cover makes a statement. Smalls is ranked as the world's number one model by Models.com, but we'd say this cements her supermodel status.
Estée Lauder's Richard Ferretti on Joan:“The word supermodel is overused, but if there is any woman of our generation who deserves the title, it’s Joan. She has the perfect face.”
According to Forbes Joan currently ranks number #8 on The World's Highest-Paid Models, 2013.
No. 8: Joan Smalls
$3.5 million.Smalls is a newcomer to FORBES’ list this year, but the Puerto Rican model found stardom in the industry long before that. She already topped Models.com’s rankings back in September, and she is also the first Latina ambassador for Estée Lauder.
- "FMD Profile of Joan Smalls". Fashionmodeldirectory.com. Retrieved 2012-03-15.
- Remember this face. Joan Smalls is owning Fashion Week, Spring 2011 from batchplease.com 6 October 2010
- Grinberg, Emanuella (2012-02-17). "Puerto Rican model Joan Smalls breaks down color barriers, one runway at a time". CNN. Retrieved 2012-03-15.
- "The World's Highest-Paid Models, 2013 - Joan Smalls Rodriguez-No.8". Forbes. 2013-08-20. Retrieved 2013-08-20.
- model.com "Cover Star - American Elle Cover-Supermodel - Joan Smalls Rodriguez-Puerto Rican, Latina Supermodel". 2013-12-04. Retrieved 2013-12-06.
- ELLE "Elle Magazine-THE RETURN OF THE SUPERMODEL: IT'S JOAN SMALLS RODRIGUEZ-Puerto Rican, Latina Supermodel". 2013-12-04. Retrieved 2013-12-06.
- "Picture of Latina-Multi-Racial Supermodel- Joan Smalls Rodriguez- Parents". Latina Supermodel Joan Smalls Rodriguez -Parents. 2013-12-13. Retrieved 2013-12-13.
- "Latina Supermodel Joan Smalls Rodriguez clears the air and identifies as Multi-Racial and not Black". Fashionista.com. 2014-02-0 5. Retrieved 2014-02-09.
- "Latina, Multi-Racial Supermodel- Joan Smalls Rodriguez-". W Magazine. 2012-07-12. Retrieved 2013-12-13.
- "Multi-Racial Supermodel - Joan Smalls Rodriguez-". Latina Supermodel-Joan Smalls Rodriguez - Goes Big. 2012-07-12. Retrieved 2013-12-13.
- "CNN - Puerto Rican Model Joan Smalls Rodriguez first Latina face of Estee Lauder Cosmetics". CNN. 2012-09-07. Retrieved 2012-09-07.
- "Style Awards, Model of the Year Winner - Joan Smalls Rodriguez-Puerto Rican, Latina Supermodel". prnewswire. 2012-09-05. Retrieved 2013-12-26.
- "Bruno Mars and Joan Smalls in Puerto Rico.". Vogue. 2012-05-24. Retrieved 2012-03-15.
- "Latina Puerto Rican Supermodel Joan Smalls Rodriguez - Ricky Martin's "It's Alright" music video". mrblasberg. 2011-11-22.
- Thomas, Chris (13 November 2013). "A$AP Rocky – "Phoenix" [VIDEO]". hiphopwired.com. Hip Hop Wired. Retrieved 30 December 2013.
- Busis, Hillary (24 December 2013). "Beyonce gets down with grills and girls in new 'Yonce' video -- WATCH". http://music-mix.ew.com/. Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 30 December 2013.
- Young, Molly (4 December 2013). "Return of the Supermodel:It's Joan Smalls". elle.com. Hearst Communications. Retrieved 30 December 2013.
- "Latina Puerto Rican Supermodel Joan Smalls Rodriguez - MTV - House of Style". teenvogue. 2012-09-06.
- Joan Smalls on Facebook
- Joan Smalls on Twitter
- Joan Smalls on Instagram
- Joan Smalls on the Internet Movie Database
- Joan Smalls at the Fashion Model Directory