|Meaning||God is gracious|
|Related names||Joan, Joanna, Johanna|
|Look up Joanne in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
Joanne (alternate spellings Joann, JoAnn, Johann, Johanne, Jo-Ann, Jo-Anne) is a common given name for females, being a variant of Joanna, the feminine form of John; derived from the Latin name Johanna with the meaning in Hebrew of "God is gracious". In Northern Ireland of 1975, "Joanne" was the most frequently used name for female newborns, though by the early years of the 21st Century, the name had declined in popularity so that it could not be counted among the twenty most frequently used.
Sometimes in modern English Joanne is reinterpreted as a compound of the two names JIJO and ANNA, and therefore given a spelling like JoAnne, Jo-Anne, or Jo Anne. However, the original name Joanna in ancient Greek and Latin is a single unit, not a compound. The names Hannah, Anna, Anne, Ann are etymologically related to Joanne just the same: they are derived from Hebrew חַנָּה Ḥannāh 'grace' from the same verbal root meaning 'to be gracious'.
In the United Kingdom, its popularity peaked during the 1970s, when it was frequently among the 10 most popular female names. However, by the 1980s it had fallen out of the top 10 and by 1994 it wasn't even in the top 100.
People with the given name Joanne
- Joanne Accom, pop singer from Melbourne, Australia
- Joanne Banning, Australian field hockey player
- Joanne Brackeen, American jazz pianist
- Joanne Campbell, British actress
- Joanne Colan, video blogger
- Joanne Deakins, British backstroke swimmer
- Joanne Dru, American actress
- Joanne Durant, Barbadian track and field sprinter
- Joanne Ellis, English field hockey player
- Joanne Fluke, American mystery novelist
- Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta, singer Lady Gaga
- Jo Hayes, New Zealand politician
- Joanne Herring, American political activist
- Joanne Kelly, Canadian actress
- Johann Lamont, Scottish politician
- J. K. Rowling, British author, whose given name is Joanne Rowling
- Joanne Pavey, British Olympian and distance runner
- Joanne Peh, Singaporean actress
- Joanne Shenandoah, singer and acoustic guitarist
- Joanne Whalley, British actress
- Joanne Woodward, American actress, Academy Award winner in 1957, for The Three Faces of Eve; Wife of Paul Newman, American Actor
- Jo Anne Worley, American actress
- Jo Anne, American Slave referred to only by her first name in all documents found. Recently discovered historical documents found on the property of what was formally known as The Loyola plantation in southern Florida show she was the "House Negro" of "Master Anthony". Her personal diary was recently discovered giving her own account of the subservient yet extremely loyal house slaves towards their master. Uniquely this diary also details the divisions between slaves in the house and in the fields and the betrayal of Joanne to her fellow slaves even those in her own family. The diary is currently in the process of being bid upon by various auction houses.
- Joanne Lim Pei Li, American Insurance Association Agent, also known as Lim Peh, a Hokkien dialect term for "your father".
Songs containing references to 'Joanne'
- Jo-Ann Stores, a specialty retailer of crafts and fabrics in the United States
- Joanne's Bed and Back, a retailer of specialty furniture in the Mid-Atlantic region of the United States
- "Jack and Emma were the most popular first names in Northern Ireland in 2003" (PDF) (Press release). Northern Ireland Statistics and Research Agency. 2004-01-02. Retrieved 2008-02-14.
(see tables "Comparison with 1975" and "Top 20 Names 2000-2003")
- "Joanna" at Edgar's Name Pages - with history, naming frequency statistics, related names, and famous namebearers
- Icons of St. Joanna the Myrrh-Bearer here and here
|This page or section lists people that share the same given name. If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change that link to point directly to the intended article.|