July 26, 1977 |
Santiago, Dominican Republic
|Bats: Right||Throws: Right|
|August 8, 2001 for the Texas Rangers|
(through 2013 season)
|Earned run average||4.11|
|Career highlights and awards|
Joaquín Antonio Benoit Peña (born July 26, 1977) is a Dominican professional baseball pitcher who is a free agent. He has played for the Texas Rangers, Tampa Bay Rays and Detroit Tigers. He is 6'3" and weighs 220 pounds.
Signing with the Rangers at the age of 18, Benoit was with the Rangers' organization until 2009. Except rehab assignments after stints on the disabled list, he was with the Major League club full-time since midway through the 2003 season. Benoit's seven years with the Texas Rangers made him the second-longest tenured member of the team after Michael Young.
Benoit holds the Major League record for having recorded the longest save, seven innings, since it became an official statistic in 1969.[a] He relieved Todd Van Poppel at the start of the third inning against the Baltimore Orioles on September 3, 2002. The official scorer credited the win to Van Poppel and not Benoit, a decision that was also supported by Texas manager Jerry Narron.
Tampa Bay Rays
Benoit was signed to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training by the Tampa Bay Rays for the 2010 season. He was called up to the Rays and debuted with the team April 29, 2010. He put together an incredible campaign and established himself as one of the game's premier setup men. Benoit finished with a 1.34 ERA and 0.68 WHIP, allowing just 30 hits, 11 walks and nine earned runs in 60 1/3 innings while fanning 75 batters. His strong season resulted in his winning the Tony Conigliaro Award.
On November 19, 2010, Benoit signed a three-year contract with the Detroit Tigers. The deal was worth 16.5 million dollars with performance bonuses up to $1 million annually. Benoit didn't quite replicate his outstanding 2010 season but had a solid year nonetheless, finishing with a 4–3 record, 2.95 ERA and 1.05 WHIP. He struck out 63 hitters in 61 innings, allowing just 47 hits and 20 earned runs. Benoit came on in relief in the decisive Game 5 of the American League Divisional Series against New York and recorded five crucial outs. He tight-roped out of a bases-loaded, one-out jam, giving up just one run thanks to key strikeouts of Alex Rodriguez and Nick Swisher.
Joaquín had a moderately successful 2012 campaign as the Tigers primary setup man, finishing with a 3.68 ERA while striking out 84 batters in 71 innings.
In 2013, Benoit became the closer for the Detroit Tigers. He replaced José Valverde, who accepted an assignment to the Toledo Mud Hens on June 21, 2013 and was subsequently released. Joaquín successfully converted his first 22 save opportunities of the 2013 season, before blowing saves in two of his final four chances, making him 24-of-26 overall. He finished the regular season with a 2.01 ERA.
- Beck, Jason (April 6, 2013). "Smyly's long save has nothing on Benoit". MLB.com. Archived from the original on April 25, 2013.
- "AL roundup: Benoit gets 7-inning save against O's". Deseret News. Associated Press. September 4, 2002. Archived from the original on April 25, 2013.
- "From 1916 to 2013, Recorded Save, (requiring IPouts>=21), sorted by smallest IP". baseball-reference.com. Retrieved April 25, 2013.(subscription required)
- "Rangers MLBeat: Narron pleased". mlb.com. Retrieved April 15, 2007.
- "Joaquín Benoit – Player File". mlb.com. Retrieved April 15, 2007.
- T.R. Sullivan (January 28, 2009). "Benoit may be lost for season". MLB.com. Retrieved January 28, 2009.
- "Tampa Bay Rays reliever Joaquin Benoit continues to dominate". St. Petersburg Times. July 26, 2010. Retrieved October 9, 2011.
- "Joaquin Benoit Stats – Detroit Tigers". Espn.go.com. July 26, 1977. Retrieved October 9, 2011.
- "Benoit receives Conigliaro Award for comeback". Detroit.tigers.mlb.com. Retrieved October 9, 2011.
- Tigers agree to terms with Joaquin Benoit Detroit Tigers Press Release November 19, 2010
- "Cot's Baseball Contracts: Detroit Tigers". Mlbcontracts.blogspot.com. November 5, 2008. Retrieved October 9, 2011.
- "Joaquin Benoit Stats, News, Pictures, Bio, Videos". Espn.go.com. August 8, 2001. Retrieved October 9, 2011.
- Lisa Olson. "Tigers flexed, Yanks vexed in a game that left many perplexed". sportingnews.com. Retrieved October 9, 2011.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)