Jocelin of Soissons
Jocelin of Soissons (died 1152) was a French theologian, a philosophical opponent of Abelard. He became bishop of Soissons, and is known also as a composer (commonly as Goslenus Suessionensis, or Magister Goslenus, episcopus Suessionensis), with two pieces in the Codex Calixtinus. He was teaching at the Paris cathedral school in the early 1110s.
Abbot Suger addressed his history of Louis the Fat to him. In the papal politics of the late 1220s and 1230s, Suger counted Jocelin, at Soissons from 1126, as a supporter of Pope Innocent II against antipope Anacletus II, along with other bishops of northern France.
As bishop he founded Longpont Abbey in 1131, a Cistercian monastery supported by Bernard of Clairvaux; Bernard was a correspondent. He favoured the Knights Templars, having participated in the Council of Troyes that gave them full standing. He was present at the 1146 Council of Arras, a probable occasion for the planning of the Second Crusade.
The De generibus et speciebus has been attributed to him. Now scholars call its author Pseudo-Joscelin. It may be by a student of his. The Metalogicus of John of Salisbury attributed to him the view that universals exist only in the collection, not the individuals.
- Annales de la vie de Joscelin de Vierzi in Achille Luchaire, Quatrièmes mélanges d'histoire du moyen age (1905)
- Desmond Paul Henry, Medieval Mereology (1991)
- Gauslen, Gauslenus, Gauzelin, Goslen, Goslenus, Goslin, Jocelin, Jocelyn, Joscelin, Joscelinus, Joslain, Joslein, Joslin, Josselin; surnamed de Vierzy.
- Cambridge Companion to Abelard (2004), p. 310.
- Abelard condamne au concile de Soissons en 1121
- SUGER's Life of Louis the Fat
- Mary Stroll, The Jewish Pope: Ideology and Politics in the Papal Schism of 1130 (1987), p. 176.
- Catholic Encyclopedia: Soissons
- Gérard II de CHERISY: LES CHERISEY histoire et généalogie de la famille de Chérisey
- Structurae [fr]: Ancienne abbaye Notre-Dame (1227)
- http://livres-mystiques.com/partieTEXTES/StBernard/tome01/lettres/207-253/lettre222.htm#_Toc53287598, http://livres-mystiques.com/partieTEXTES/StBernard/tome01/lettres/207-253/lettre222.htm#_Toc53287599, in French.
- http://www.templiers.net/temple/index.php?page=les-premiers-pas-du-temple, http://www.insolite.asso.fr/templiers/montdesoissons.htm, in French.
- Jonathan Phillips, The Second Crusade (2007), p. 82.
- Jacques Maritain Center: History of Philosophy, Abelard
- Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy, article Medieval Mereology.
- http://maritain.nd.edu/jmc/etext/homp171.htm, http://www.ontology.co/universals-history.htm, http://www.granta.demon.co.uk/arsm/jg/abelard.html