|Born||12 September 1963
Jock Clear, born 1963  in Portsmouth, Hampshire, is a senior performance engineer working for Lewis Hamilton (2013 -) and Michael Schumacher (2011/12). Previously he was race engineer for Nico Rosberg from (2010 to 2012), Rubens Barrichello from (2006 to 2009) and Takuma Sato (from 2003 to 2005).
His career in motorsport began at Lola Cars, where he worked as a design engineer before moving to the position of head of composite design at Benetton Formula in 1989. In 1992 he worked as senior designer at Leyton House Racing, then joined Team Lotus where he became Johnny Herbert's race engineer in 1994. When Lotus collapsed at the end of the year, he transferred to Williams F1 and engineered David Coulthard, who won his first Grand Prix in Portugal and finished third in the drivers' championship.
Jacques Villeneuve joined Williams in 1996 and Clear was his race engineer; the Canadian won the world championship the following year under Clear's guidance. When Villeneuve moved to British American Racing for the 1999 season, his engineer followed suit. The relationship continued until the 2003 Japanese Grand Prix, when Villeneuve walked out on the eve of the race. Takuma Sato took up the vacant seat and drove to sixth position on his racing debut with the team. Clear worked with Sato again in 2004-2005 and then with Rubens Barrichello from 2006-2009. After the team became Brawn GP in 2009, Barrichello won the European and Italian Grands Prix and finished in third place in the World Championship.
In November 2007, Clear was awarded an Honorary Doctorate of Engineering by Heriot-Watt University "in recognition of his outstanding success in applying engineering science in the most demanding and competitive environments and as a role model to young engineers."
- F1network.net: Jock Clear. 24 February 2007. Retrieved 23 August 2009
- Absolute Speakers: Jock Clear. Retrieved 23 August 2009
- OP Club Home > Forthcoming Events > 2008 > Jock Clear speaks to OPs. 26 January 2008. Retrieved 23 August 2009
- Heriot Watt University: Mechanical Engineering - School of Engineering and Physical Sciences. 31 January 2008. Retrieved 23 August 2009
- People: Jock Clear. GrandPrix.com. Retrieved 4 November 2009
- The Official Formula 1 Website: David Coulthard. Retrieved 23 August 2009
- Crash.net: Unsung hero - Jock Clear. 1 August 2003. Retrieved 23 August 2009
- Kevin Eason. Sato in pole position after Villeneuve walks out on BAR. Times Online. 10 October 2003. Retrieved 23 August 2009
- The Official Formula 1 Website: Takuma Sato. Retrieved 23 August 2009
- The role of the F1 race engineer. F1 Technical. Retrieved 23 August 2009
- Brawn GP. BBC Sport. 2 November 2009. Retrieved 4 November 2009
- 'Delighted' Barrichello says: This one's for you, Felipe. Yahoo! Eurosport UK. 23 August 2009. Retrieved 23 August 2009
- Simon Arron. Italian Grand Prix: Rubens Barrichello wins. Telegraph.co.uk. 15 September 2009. Retrieved 4 November 2009
- FIA Formula 1 drivers' world championship. BBC Sport. 1 November 2009. Retrieved 4 November 2009
- Monthly Briefing from Court, Senate, PME and its boards - September/October 2007. Heriot-Watt University. 2007. Retrieved 23 August 2009