Jodha Akbar (TV series)
Promotional Image Of Jodha Akbar
|Created by||Balaji Telefilms|
|Written by||Story & Screenplay
R M Joshi
Mayuri Roy Chaudhary
Research, lyrics & consultant
|Directed by||Santram Verma|
|Country of origin||India|
|No. of seasons||01|
|Running time||Approx. 24 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Balaji Telefilms|
|Original channel||Zee TV|
|Picture format||576i (SDTV)
|Original run||18 June 2013 – Present|
Jodha Akbar is an Indian historical drama currently airing on Zee TV. The series premiered on 18 June 2013 and airs Monday to Friday evenings. The show is produced by Ekta Kapoor of Balaji Telefilms. It stars Rajat Tokas and Paridhi Sharma in lead roles.
Jodha Akbar is an epic drama about a sixteenth century story of the political marriage of convenience between a Mughal emperor Akbar and a Rajput princess Jodha Bai. The show focuses on how their political marriage brings love between them to an extent that it changed the fate of India. This period drama also portrays the wars of that time along with the relations between the Mughals and the Rajputs. The drama also focuses on the functioning of the queens, the courts, courtesans, the ministers and their influence on the love story of Akbar and Jodha Bai. The show also highlights on how Mughal emperor Jalaluddin acquires the title of Akbar from the people.
Jallaludin Mohommad (Akbar) who had inherited his father, Humayan's Mughal Empire at the age of 13, after his father's death, had been brought up almost like a trained assassin by Bairam Khan, his father's supreme commander. Hard-nosed, rough, tough and heartless... and priding himself on the each of those facets of his personality, the only thing Akbar had learnt was to expand his empire - at the cost of others lives - at the cost of emotions - at the cost of love - the word he was never familiar with.
Whilst Jodha, the daughter of Raja Bharmal, the Rajput King of Amer (one of the most affluent Rajput Kingdom's of its time) valued each of those emotions - valued the life of even the birds and bees of her kingdom - she only hated the Mughal's whom she felt were intruding upon her land, and wanted to oust them from Rajputana, along with their Emperor Jallaluddin, whom she hated with her heart.
Little did Akbar know at the time of his marriage to Jodha, the fiery Rajput princess, in order to expand his empire into Rajputana, the land of the Valiant Rajputs, he would in turn be embarking upon a new journey - the journey of true love - he would discover the heart which he never felt he had - and it would throb for its rightful lover - Jodha.
Many of the events portrayed in the series are based on real events. Many also protested against the show along with Bharat Ka Veer Putra – Maharana Pratap, another historical series that aired on Sony TV.
Ekta Kapoor stated, "I always believe it's 80% history and 20% folklore. There are enough proofs that say it's true, but then there are some people who say it’s not. Akbar had a certain graph and we know that. We cannot negate that there was a change of heart in him - from a power-hungry ruler to a non-biased one - because of a Rajput queen."
- Rajat Tokas as Jalaluddin Muhammed Akbar
- Paridhi Sharma as Rajkumari Jodha Bai
- Chhaya Ali Khan as Hamida Banu Begum
- Lavina Tandon as Ruqaiya Sultan Begum
- Ashwini Kalsekar as Maham Anga
- Manisha Yadav as Salima Sultan Begum
- Parag Tyagi as Sharifuddin Hussain
- Lokendra Rajawat as Ataga Khan
- Amarpreet Rait as Jiji Anga
- Chetan Hansraj as Adham Khan
- Prianca Sharma as Javeda
- Naved Aslam as Bairam Khan
- Rajeev Saxena as Raja Bharmal
- Natasha Sinha as Rani Mainawati
- Kunal Bhatia as Rajkumar Bhagwant Das
- Nupur Saxena as Sa Bhagawati Ji Sahiba
- Bhakti Narula as Rani Lilavati
- Vicky Batra as Rajkumar Sujamal
- Bhagyshree Mote as Rajkumari Sukanya
- Pragati Choursiya as Rajkumari Shivani
- Ankit Raizada as Rajkumar Man Singh
- Gandharva Pardeshi as Rajkumar Jagganath
- Dev Bishit as Rajkumar Khangar
- Akhil Vaid as Rajkumar Raj Singh
- Ajay Paul Singh Andotra as Mantri Lakshman Das
- Prince Singh as Suryabhan Singh
- Ankita Dubey/Ankita Chaudhry as Motibai
- Kalyani Trivedi as Shagunibai
- Ankit Raizada as Rajkumar Man Singh
- Shaurya Singh as Raja Todarmal
- Vijay Badlani as Tansen
- Meghna Naidu as Benazir
- Manoj as Resham Khan
- Shilpa Raizada as Shehnaz
Tanushree Dasgupta, creative director for the project stated, "Our plan is to launch the show on a majestic scale as it is an epic love saga, from a different era. Such larger-than-life and grand love stories are always well-accepted by family audiences"
Rajat Tokas who had earlier worked with Ekta Kapoor in Tere Liye, was selected to play the role of the protagonist, Akbar Ekta Kapoor states she conducted 7000 auditions for the female protagonist and selected Paridhi Sharma, Ashwini Kalsekar was selected to play the role of Maham Anga.
- "Protests against Ekta Kapoor's Jodha Akbar".
- I have sleepless nights because of Jodha Akbar: Ekta Kapoor
- Jodha's personal maid Motibai replaced in Zee's Jodha Akbar
- "Now a TV show on Jodha Akbar by Ekta Kapoor".
- Ekta to produce Jodha Akbar on the lines of 2008 hit film Jodha Akbar
- Ekta comes with Jodha Akbar for TV
- Rajat Tokas is Ekta Kapoor's Akbar
- Rajat Tokas to play Akbar in Ekta's Jodha Akbar
- That's not my Jodha: Ekta Kapoor
- How Paridhi Sharma bagged Ekta's Jodha Akbar?
- Ashwini as Maham Anga in Ekta's Jodhaa Akbar