Jody Turner is a U.S. West Coast-based entrepreneur known for her international brand anthropology insight and trend futurism research, writing and keynote presenting. Turner tracks global socio-cultural shifts influencing the future marketplace – ultimately defining how we live, work and play. With peers like Anne Lise Kjaer, Turner is currently one of very few globally recognized female insight leaders.
Turner’s Culture of Future consultancy works with and engages global brands, start-ups, cultural organizations, and non-profit foundations in defining future change, engagement and opportunity spaces they face. Turner built her influential perspectives from engagements with Apple, BMW, Starbucks, IDEO, Nike, the Nike Foundation, Baumann Foundation, trendwatching.com London, the Empowerment Plan Detroit, California Institute of Integral Studies, Sustainable Brands Istanbul, Hyper Island Stockholm/NY, Hatch mentorship festival  and the Architecture & Design Museum Los Angeles.
Born in the U.S. and raised in part overseas, Turner settled on the West Coast (USA) as a young adult. Turner received a Liberal Arts degree from The Evergreen State College Olympia, Washington, a self-generating curriculum school, where her studies centered on the understanding of current-to-future human endeavors in design and culture.
Turner began her professional career as a visual communications designer, working 15 years+ from San Francisco to New York City, including tenure as communications designer with Nike’s trend resource team. Subsequent design and trend insight work included consulting with Starbucks international retail brand teams and a full-time role instigating a trend library for The Gap/Old Navy. In 2003, Turner founded her own company Culture of Future (CoF), focusing primarily on global end-user experiences, relevant brand innovations/engagements and leading edge digital communications. Through CoF, Turner helps teams engage in current-to-future trends and applicable lifestyle innovations.
Turner speaks at international conferences across the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, Australia, and within developing nations. She is a regular speaker at the Sustainable Brands Conference in Istanbul. In 2009 she was awarded a World Brand Congress Brand Leadership Award in Mumbai  and has worked on numerous global projects focused on empowering women and girls, including the Nike Foundation Girl Effect out of London, and the Forbes Girl Quake project with Denise Restauri.
In 2010, Turner mentored then-Creative Studies design student Veronika Scott, and assisted her in the founding of American humanitarian project the Empowerment Plan. The organization provides employment and training to homeless women as they hand-make sleeping-bag coats distributed to the homeless of Detroit, as well as globally via disaster relief programs.
Jody Turner and Culture of Future have an innovative partnership with Reinier Evers and Henry Mason of London-based trend newsletter Trendwatching.com. Turner and Evers met while speaking in 2004 at the Style Vision Round Table events in France. Since then Jody has been a regular speaker with Trendwatching.com on topics from Generation Generosity to transformational branding (brand and generational evolutions influenced by technology design and media shifts).
Boards & Associations
- On the Board of Directors for the Empowerment Plan, a Detroit-based project aimed at easing homelessness by employing homeless women to create coats that transform into sleeping bags, distributed free of charge to those who need one.
- Member of the Advisory Board for the Architecture and Design Museum (A+D), Los Angeles
- Member of the Advisory Board for Cria Global, the organization charged with creating the social legacy guidelines for the Rio 2016 Olympics.
- Member of the Advisory Board for Women 2.1 Summit Women 2.1, Ghana, Africa
Keynotes & Appearances
- TedX Helsinki kick-off presentation to 700 attendees, “On Opportunity”
- Yale Symposium: "Future of Education, Digital, Content”
- Dr. Phil Show, on-stage trend expert
- Istanbul, regular speaker/contributor at Sustainable Brands Conference
- Trendwatching.com London: October 2012 7-city trend seminar speaking tour on ‘Trend Application in Global Branding;’
- United Nations girl changemaking events with Denise Restauri
- Ghana, 2011 Women 2.1 Summit: motivational speaker for young women entrepreneurs
- ICSC Stockholm 2013, Keynote on Transforming Retail
- Mexico City, Bonus MX, “Raising of the Cultural Creative Class”
Articles & Interviews
- WNPR Program interview on Popup Storefronts
- Cultural Capital TV interview on trend reporting
- Fondazione Capri, Italy, “Trend Solutions in Disruptive Times”
- Art.com Inspiring Insider, on Curation
- This is Story NYC interview
- Helsinki for Demos (Helsinki’s think tank) presentation on Sustainable Design
- Munich TrendForum, BMW Museum interview
- Fast Company article on Helsinki User Experience B2B Workshop: 4 Manufacturers Collaborate
- Qi Global Singapore, Qi Innovation Platform, article "New Ideas of Beauty"
- Apple.com article on color and design
- Influx Insights article on color and trends
- Sustainable Brands Marketing Conference, Istanbul
- Hyper Island
- Hatch Mentorship Festival
- Brand Leadership Award in Mumbai reception clip
- The Nike Foundation Girl Effect
- Denise Restauri on Forbes
- Jody Turner for Fast Company
- Stanford Social Innovation Review blog
- Shareable.net innovation blog
- Sustainable Design presentation for Demos, Helsinki