Joe Bastianich in New York City (2011)
September 17, 1968
Astoria, Queens, New York City, New York
|Residence||Greenwich, Connecticut, US|
|Alma mater||Boston College (B.A.)|
|Occupation||Restaurateur, winemaker, author, television personality|
Joseph "Joe" Bastianich (born September 17, 1968 in New York City) is an American restaurateur. He co-owns restaurants in New York City, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Singapore, and Hong Kong. He has been a judge on the reality show MasterChef and its spinoff MasterChef Junior, alongside chefs Gordon Ramsay and Graham Elliot.
Early life and education
The son of Felice and Lidia Bastianich, Joseph Bastianich was born in Astoria, Queens in 1968. Raised working in his parents Italian restaurant Felidia in Manhattan, he attended Fordham Preparatory School before attending Boston College, where he studied finance. After spending a year on Wall Street, he took an extended trip to Italy. In 1993, he opened Becco (Italian for "peck, nibble, savor") a traditional Italian restaurant with Lidia Bastianich.
He then partnered with Mario Batali to open Babbo Ristorante e Enoteca, an Italian restaurant that gained the prestigious three stars from the The New York Times, the first Italian restaurant to gain the award in 40 years. Together they opened seven more restaurants in New York: Lupa, Esca, Casa Mono, Bar Jamon, Otto, Del Posto, and Eataly (an Italian marketplace). In 2010, Del Posto received a four-star review from The New York Times.. It is one of only six restaurants in New York with the award. Their culinary empire has expanded to 10 restaurants in New York, 4 restaurants in Las Vegas, 2 restaurants in Los Angeles, 2 restaurants in Singapore, 1 Italian market in Chicago, and two restaurants in Hong Kong.
Bastianich is an avid triathlete completing in numerous races. His most challenging competition to date was the completion of a full Ironman in Hawaii. He enjoys reggae music. Bastianich currently lives in Greenwich, Connecticut with his wife Deanna and their children Olivia, Miles, and Ethan.
With wine expert David Lynch (wine director then general manager at Bastianich and Batali's restaurant Babbo, and a former senior editor at Wine & Spirits), Bastianich co-authored Vino Italiano: The Regional Wines of Italy and Vino Italiano Buying Guide. In 2005, he was recognized as Outstanding Wine and Spirits Professional by both the James Beard Foundation and Bon Appétit magazine. In 2008, he and Mario Batali were awarded the James Beard Foundation's Outstanding Restaurateur Award. Bastianich's memoir, Restaurant Man, was released in May 2012.
Bastianich owns three wineries in Italy, where he cultivates a variety of grapes. The Bastianich winery was founded in 1997 in the Friuli-Venezia Giulia region of Italy. It consists of 70 acres of land. La Mozza is a 90 acres winery located in Maremma, Tuscany. La Mozza is known for the Aragone blend. The Brandini Winery is located in the Langhe region of Northern Italy, specializing in Dolcetto, Barbera, and Barolo wines. Bastianich owns a winery in the Mendoza province of western Argentina with Matias Mayol and Steve Clifton. They have produced TriTono, a Malbec.
Restaurants owned or operated by Batali and Bastianich Hospitality Group
- B&B Burger & Beer, Las Vegas
- B&B Ristorante, Las Vegas
- BABBO Ristorante e Enoceta, New York City
- Bar Jamon, New York City
- Becco, New York City
- Birreria, New York City
- Carnevino Italian Steakhouse, Las Vegas, Nevada / Hong Kong
- Casa Mono, New York City
- Chi Spacca, Los Angeles
- Del Posto, New York City
- Eataly NYC, New York City
- ESCA, New York City
- Felidia, New York City
- Lidia’s, Kansas City, Missouri
- Lidia's Italy, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- LUPA, New York City
- Mozza2Go, Los Angeles, California
- Orsone, Frazione Gagliano, Italy
- Osteria Mozza, Los Angeles, California / Singapore
- OTTO Enoteca Pizzeria, New York City / Las Vegas
- Pizzeria Mozza, Los Angeles, California / Newport Beach, California / Singapore / San Diego
- Tarry Market, Port Chester
- Tarry Wine, Port Chester
- Tarry Lodge, Port Chester / Westport, Connecticut
- Tarry Lodge, New Haven, Connecticut
- "Bastianich, Joseph". Current Biography Yearbook 2011. Ipswich, Massachusetts: H.W. Wilson. 2011. pp. 50–54. ISBN 9780824211219.
- Yi, Christine (28 October 2008). "Passion for Food Adjusts to Fit Passion for Running". The New York Times.
- Sifton, Sam (28 September 2010). "A Modern Italian Master". The New York Times. Retrieved 14 September 2012.
- Hinckley, David (26 July 2010). "Sob stories, bad auditions: Gordon Ramsay's new 'MasterChef' is like 'American Idol' for foodies". Daily News (New York). Retrieved 14 September 2012.
- "David Lynch". Vino 2011: Italian Wine Week. Retrieved August 24, 2014.
- "Chefs Find Winner’s Circle Familiar Turf". The New York Times. 11 June 2008.
- "Junior MasterChef". Fox.com. Fox. Retrieved August 12, 2013.