|Member of the Iowa Senate
from the 43rd district
January 11, 1999
|Preceded by||Mary Neuhauser|
July 29, 1956 |
|Residence||Iowa City, Iowa|
Joseph Bolkcom (born July 29, 1956) is a member of the Iowa Senate, where he is currently an assistant majority leader. A Democrat, he was first elected to the Senate in 1998. He represents the 43rd District of the General Assembly, which includes most of metropolitan Iowa City.
Bolkcom currently serves on several committees in the Iowa Senate - the Appropriations committee; the Commerce committee; the Human Resources committee; the Natural Resources and Environment committee; and the Ways and Means committee, where he is chair.
Bolkcom graduated from Saint Ambrose University in Davenport in 1983. He went on to earn a master's degree in Public Affairs from the University of Iowa. He served from 1993 to 1998 on the Johnson County Board of Supervisors. Prior to that he worked for Johnson County Health Department, Senior Advocates, Inc., and Senior Education, Inc. He is a member of the Iowa Civil Liberties Union, and the Iowa Chapter of the Sierra Club.
- Senator Joe Bolkcom official Iowa Legislature site
- Senator Joe Bolkcom official Iowa General Assembly site
- State Senator Joe Bolkcom official constituency site
- Iowa State Senator Joe Bolkcom official campaign site
- Biography, voting record, and interest group ratings at Project Vote Smart
- Senator Joe Bolkcom's Photo Gallery at Picasa
1999 – 2003
2003 – present