Joe Bonomo is an American essayist and rock and roll writer.
Bonomo was born and raised in Wheaton, Maryland and graduated from University of Maryland (BA) and Ohio University (MA and PhD). Since 1995 he has taught writing creative nonfiction and literature at Northern Illinois University.
His books include This Must Be Where My Obsession With Infinity Began (essays), Conversations With Greil Marcus (Literary Conversations Series), AC/DC's Highway to Hell (331⁄3 Series), Jerry Lee Lewis: Lost and Found, Installations (National Poetry Series), and Sweat: The Story of The Fleshtones, America’s Garage Band. Lost and Found and Sweat have each been translated into French and published in France, the latter as The Fleshtones: Histoire d'un Groupe de Garage Américain.
His essays and prose poems have appeared in Creative Nonfiction, The Normal School, Fourth Genre, Brevity, Defunct, Hotel Amerika, Diagram, Free Verse, Georgia Review, Gulf Coast, Laurel Review, Quarter After Eight, River Teeth, Seneca Review, Sentence, and elsewhere, and in the anthologies Brief Encounters: An Anthology of Short Nonfiction, How To Write About Music: Excerpts from the 33 1/3 Series, Magazines, Books and Blogs with Advice from Industry-leading Writers, and The Rose Metal Press Field Guide to Prose Poetry: Contemporary Poets in Discussion and Practice.
In 2012 Bonomo was named the Music Columnist for The Normal School literary magazine, for which he writes two essays annually.
- This Must Be Where My Obsession With Infinity Began, essays (Orphan Press, 2013)
- Jerry Lee Lewis: Lost and Found (French, Camion Blanc, 2013)
- Conversations With Greil Marcus (Literary Conversations Series, University Press of Mississippi, 2012)
- The Fleshtones: Histoire d'un Groupe de Garage Américain (French, Camion Blanc, 2012)
- AC/DC's Highway to Hell (331⁄3 Series, Continuum Intl Pub Group, 2010)
- Jerry Lee Lewis: Lost and Found (Bloomsbury, 2009)
- Installations (National Poetry Series, Penguin Books, 2008)
- Sweat: The Story of the Fleshtones, America's Garage Band (Bloomsbury, 2007)
- Illinois Arts Council Fellowships
- Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Instruction (Northern Illinois University)
- National Poetry Series
- Orphan Press Creative Nonfiction Book Award
- "Joe Bonomo • Ohio University English Alumni". English.ohiou.edu. Retrieved 2013-10-20.
- "Published Titles • Ohio University English Department". English.ohiou.edu. Retrieved 2013-10-20.
- "Art imitates art in Joe Bonomo's new book of prose poems". Niu.edu. 2008-06-30. Retrieved 2013-10-20.
- "Our Contributors". Diagram. Retrieved 2013-10-20.
- "Free Verse 16 - Jacket Notes". Sites.google.com. 2009-08-04. Retrieved 2013-10-20.
- "The Laurel Review 40.1". Catpages.nwmissouri.edu. Retrieved 2013-10-20.
- "The Seneca Review - Google Boeken". Books.google.com. Retrieved 2013-10-20.
- "Joe Bonomo | Directory of Writers | Poets & Writers". Pw.org. 2012-02-05. Retrieved 2013-10-20.
- Joe Bonomo's website, No Such Thing As Was
- Joe Bonomo on Twitter
- Joe Bonomo's essay "Live Nude Essay!" in Gulf Coast: A Journal of Literature and Fine Arts (24.1).