Joe Chiccarelli, a native of Boston, Massachusetts is a music producer, mixer and engineer who has been active since the 1980s. He has produced albums by Stan Ridgway, Oingo Boingo, Sandra Bernhard, My Morning Jacket, Counting Crows, The Shins, Augie March, Manchester Orchestra, Minus the Bear, Kurt Elling, Big Talk. Other artists include Elton John, Rufus Wainright, U2, Beck, Etta James, Jamie Cullum, Tori Amos, The Strokes, Pink Martini, Christina Perri and Jason Mraz. He also engineered Frank Zappa's albums Sheik Yerbouti, Joe's Garage Acts I, II & III and Tinseltown Rebellion, and engineered the White Stripes 2007 album Icky Thump. He also engineered The Raconteurs "Consolers of The Lonely" for which he received his eighth Grammy award, for Best Engineered Album of 2008.
Chiccarelli got his first taste of the studio through a cousin who owned Boston's Fleetwood Studio. Chiccarelli moved west in the late '70s where he scored an assistant engineer gig at L.A.'s Cherokee Studios. He got his career break engineering Frank Zappa's album Sheik Yerbouti (1979). In an interview with HitQuarters, Chiccarelli said: "[Zappa's] engineer couldn’t make the session and so he decided to take a chance on me. I’m so thankful ever since that day because he gave me a career."
He is credited with discovering singer Tori Amos and signing her first band, Y Kant Tori Read, to a label deal. However, Chiccarelli refuted this in an interview with HitQuarters saying, "That’s a myth. Tori was already signed to Atlantic Records as a solo artist when I got involved."
Chiccarelli produced Minus the Bear's album Omni, released May 4, 2010. He produced four tracks on The Strokes' fourth album, "Angles". He also produced the Double Platinum debut album from Australian group Boy & Bear. The band received Five ARIA awards for the album. He also engineered track's on Morrissey's "Swords" album
In 2011, Chiccarelli produced Jason Mraz's fourth album "Love Is A Four Letter Word", released April 17, 2012 and Alanis Morissette's upcoming "Havoc and Bright Lights" as well as upcoming album "Songs of Patience" for Alberta Cross.
Selected Discography 
- Keaton Henson (Sony UK)-Produce/Mix
- Cafe Tacuba(Universal) -Co-Produce/Mix
- Dropkick Murphys(Born & Bred) -Mix
- Alanis Morissette(Collective Sounds) – Produce/Mix
- Eleni Mandell (Yep Roc) - Produced/Mix
- Christina Perri (Atlantic) – Produce/Record
- Alberta Cross (Ark) – Produce/Record
- Boy & Bear (Universal) – Produce/Mix
- Tiziano Ferro (EMI Italy) - Record
- Jason Mraz (Atlantic) - Produce/Record
- Dwight Yoakum (Warner) – Co-produce/Record
- The Strokes (RCA) - Produce/Record
- Young The Giant (Roadrunner) - Produce/Record/Mix
- Juan Campodonicoare (Universal Latin) - Record
- Ilse DeLange (Universal Holland) - Record
- Eleni Mandell (YepRoc) - Produce/Record/Mix
- Rachel Yamagata (Warner) - Produce/Record/Mix
- Big Talk (Anti) - Produce/Record/Mix
- The Killers Xmas single (Island) - Co-Produce
- Manchester Orchestra (Columbia) - Mix
- Adam Stephens (Saddle Creek) - Produce/Record/Mix
- Middle Class Rut (Bright Antenna) – Mix
- Ely Guera (Homey) - Mix
- Minus the Bear (Dangerbird) - Produce/Record/Mix
- Gin Wigmore (Universal) – Record/Mix
- Cory Chisel (RCA) – Produce/Record/Mix
- Dredg (Universal Germany) – Mix
- Camera Can’t Lie (Atlantic) - Record
- Ponderosa (New West) – Produce/Record
- Sondre Lerche (Rounder) – Mix
- Mika (Universal) - Record
Grammy Awards 
- 2009 Best Engineered Album Non-Classical - The Raconteurs "Consolers of the Lonely"
- 2010 Latin Grammy Winner for Best Alternative Album Ely Guerra "Hombres Invisible"
- 2007 Grammy Award Winner for Best Alternative Album The White Stripes "Icky Thump"
- 2004 Latin Grammy Winner for Best Alternative Album Café Tacuba “Cuatro Caminos
- 2003 Grammy Award Winner for Best Latin Rock/Alt Album Café Tacuba “Cuatro Caminos”
- 2003 Latin Grammy Winner for Best Rock Solo Album Juanes “Un Dia Normal”
- 2003 Latin Grammy Winner for Album of The Year Juanes “Un Dia Normal”
- 2001 Latin Grammy Winner for Best Rock Solo Vocal Album Juanes “Fijate Bien”
- 2000 Latin Grammy Award Winner for Best Rock Album Cafe Tacuba “Reves”
Grammy Nominations 
- Best Alternative Album – The White Stripes “Icky Thump” (Grammy winner)
- Best Alternative Album – The Shins “Wincing The Night Away”
- Bass Jazz Vocal Album – Kurt Elling “Nightmoves”
- Best Engineered Album Non-Classical - The Raconteurs "Consolers of the Lonely"
- Best Engineered Album Non-Classical - Cafe Tacuba "Reves YoSoy"
- Best Engineered Album Non-Classical - Jason Mraz "Love is a Four Letter Word"
- Best Rock Album - The Raconteurs "Consolers of the Lonely"
- Best Alternative Album - My Morning Jacket's "Evil Urges"
- Producer of The Year" 2007- The Shins, Kurt Elling, Oxbow
- "Joe Chiccarelli Bio". ArtistDirect.com. Retrieved 2 June 2012.
- "Interview with Joe Chiccarelli". HitQuarters. 14 June 2010. Retrieved Aug 19, 2010.
- Rogers, Kalen (1994). Tori Amos: all these years : the authorized illustrated biography. Omnibus Press. p. 34. ISBN 978-0-7119-4827-3. Retrieved 1 August 2010.
- "Minus the Bear's New LP OMNI Out May 4th". Dangerbird. Retrieved 2 June 2012.
- "Animal Magnetism". Time Off Magazine. 3 August 2011. Retrieved Aug 4, 2011.
- "Jason Mraz new album Produced by Joe Chiccarelli". Next Wave Management. Retrieved 2 June 2012.
- "Alanis Morissette’s New Album produced by Joe Chiccarelli". Next Wave Management. Retrieved 2 June 2012.
- "About Alberta Cross". Retrieved 2 June 2012.