|Professor Joe Felsenstein|
|Born||Joseph Hua Felsenstein
1942 (age 70–71)
Phylogenetic comparative methods
|Institutions||University of Washington|
|Alma mater||University of Chicago|
|Thesis||Statistical Inference and the Estimation Phylogenies (1968)|
|Doctoral advisor||Richard Lewontin|
|Doctoral students||Arindam Roy Choudhury
Felsenstein's tree-pruning algorithm
|Notable awards||Darwin–Wallace Medal (2008)
John J. Carty award (2009)
Joseph Hua "Joe" Felsenstein (born 1942) is Professor in the Departments of Genome Sciences and Biology and Adjunct Professor in the Departments of Computer Science and Statistics at the University of Washington in Seattle. He is best known for his work on phylogenetic inference, and is the author of Inferring Phylogenies, and principal author and distributor of the package of phylogenetic inference programs called PHYLIP. Closely related to his work on phylogenetic inference is his introduction of methods for making statistically independent comparisons using phylogenies.
Felsenstein did his undergraduate work at the University of Wisconsin–Madison where he did undergraduate research under James F. Crow. He then did doctoral work under Richard Lewontin in the 1960s, when he was at the University of Chicago, and did a postdoc at the Institute of Animal Genetics in Edinburgh prior to becoming faculty at the University of Washington.
In addition to his work in phylogenetics,  Felsenstein is also noted for his work in theoretical population genetics, including studies on selection, migration, linkage, speciation, and the coalescent.
Felsenstein is a member of the National Academy of Sciences. He was awarded the Darwin-Wallace Medal by the Linnean Society of London in 2008. In 2009 he was awarded the John J. Carty Award from the National Academy of Sciences.
- Joseph Felsenstein at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Felsenstein, J. (1985). "Phylogenies and the Comparative Method". The American Naturalist 125: 1–2. doi:10.1086/284325.
- Joseph Felsenstein from SciVerse Scopus bibliographic database
- List of publications from Google Scholar
- List of publications from Microsoft Academic Search
- James F. Crow
- Felsenstein, J. (1973). "Maximum Likelihood and Minimum-Steps Methods for Estimating Evolutionary Trees from Data on Discrete Characters". Systematic Biology 22 (3): 240–249. doi:10.1093/sysbio/22.3.240.
- Felsenstein, J. (1981). "Evolutionary trees from DNA sequences: A maximum likelihood approach". Journal of molecular evolution 17 (6): 368–376. doi:10.1007/BF01734359. PMID 7288891.
- Felsenstein, J. (1982). "Numerical Methods for Inferring Evolutionary Trees". The Quarterly Review of Biology 57 (4): 379–404. doi:10.1086/412935.
- Joe, Felsenstein (1985). "Confidence limits on phylogenies: an approach using the bootstrap". Evolution 39 (4): 783–791. JSTOR 2408678.
- Felsenstein, J. (1988). "Phylogenies from Molecular Sequences: Inference and Reliability". Annual Review of Genetics 22: 521–565. doi:10.1146/annurev.ge.22.120188.002513. PMID 3071258.
- Felsenstein, J., and B. Taylor, eds. 1973. A Bibliography of Theoretical Population Genetics. U.S. Atomic Energy Commission, Technical Information Center, Oak Ridge, Tenn.
- Felsenstein, J. 2004. Inferring Phylogenies. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland, Mass.
- Felsenstein, J. 2005. Theoretical Evolutionary Genetics (free ebook)
- "John J. Carty Award for the Advancement of Science". National Academy of Sciences. Retrieved 25 February 2011.
- Early History of the Personal Computer