Joseph Gersh AM is an Australian businessman who works as a director for a public and private companies in Australia. He is also the founder and Executive chairman of Gersh Investment Partners Limited (GIPL). With interests in real estate, banking and the arts, Gersh has been recognized as an influential figure in the business community, particularly in Melbourne. He is also a prominent member of the Australian Jewish community.
He formerly occupied the position of a senior partner and Chairman of the Management Committee at the Melbourne law firm Arnold Bloch Leibler (ABL) from 1982 to 1999. He was appointed as a Director of the Federal Airports Corporation from 1995–1996.
Gersh is a foundation Director of The Reserve Bank of Australia’s Payments System Board.
He founded Gersh Investment Partners Limited in July 2000, which includes the subsidiary organisations: Gersh Residential Land Partners and Gersh Advisory.
He was a member of the Payments System Board of the Reserve Bank of Australia between 2008 and 2013.
In May 2013 GIPL created an alliance with Supalai Public Company Limited with the company estimating to spend $60 million of its annual overseas budget into Australia.
He was Deputy Chairman of the Australia Council for the Arts from 2006–2009. He also held honorary positions as chairman at the National Institute of Circus Arts from 2005–2006 and chairman at Artbank, the Government Art rental body, from December 2000 – 2009.
He has been a prominent figure in the Jewish Community and was the President of the Jewish Community Council of Victoria from 1990–1993 and Vice-President of the Australian Institute of Jewish Affairs from 1987–1992.
He also continues to serve as life-councilor for Mount Scopus College.
He is married with four children.
- Australian Financial Review: Generation next, 27 October 2004
- It's an Honour – Honours – Search Australian Honours. Itsanhonour.gov.au (12 June 2006).
- Alumni : The University of Melbourne. Unimelb.edu.au.
- Payments System Board. RBA.
- Appointments to the Board of the Australian Reinsurance Pool Corporation. Peter Costello (30 June 2006).
- Gersh wins Thai backer for land plays. Afr.com.
- Australian Financial Review – "High Wire Act": 30 November 2006
- Board Members. The Sydney Institute.
- Australia Council welcomes new deputy chair. Australiacouncil.gov.au (12 December 2007).
- Hope for indigenous art gallery as idea gains support – National. theage.com.au (25 August 2006).
- Governance – Mount Scopus Memorial College. Scopus.vic.edu.au.