Haden in 2012
No. 23 Cleveland Browns
|Date of birth:April 14, 1989|
|Place of birth: Fort Washington, Maryland|
|High school: Fort Washington (MD) Friendly|
|NFL Draft: 2010 / Round: 1 / Pick: 7|
|Debuted in 2010 for the Cleveland Browns|
|Roster status: Active|
Career highlights and awards
Career NFL statistics as of 2014
|Stats at pro-football-reference.com|
Joseph Walter Haden III (born April 14, 1989) is an American football cornerback for the Cleveland Browns of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football for the University of Florida, was recognized as a unanimous All-American, and was a member of a BCS National Championship team. He was selected by the Browns in the first round of the 2010 NFL Draft.
High school career
Haden attended Friendly High School in Fort Washington, Maryland, where he played safety and quarterback for the Friendly Patriots high school football team. He set the MPSSAA record with 7,371 career passing yards and tied the record for touchdown passes with 80. After his senior season, Haden was selected to play in the first Offense-Defense All-American Bowl.
As a true freshman in 2007, Haden started 12 games at cornerback, missing one game due to an ankle sprain. He became the first true freshman to start a game at cornerback for the Gators on opening day, and finished the season with 63 tackles and an interception. He was recognized as a freshman All-American by the Sporting News and Collegefootballnews.com and was an All-Southeastern Conference (SEC) freshman selection.
As a sophomore in 2008, Haden started all 14 games, recording 87 tackles, and three interceptions—including an 88-yard interception return for a touchdown (the fourth longest in Gators history). In the Gators' 24–14 victory over the Oklahoma Sooners in the BCS Championship Game, he had 10 tackles and three pass break-ups.
During his junior year in 2009, he had 68 tackles, four interceptions and three quarterback sacks. After the season, he was a first-team All-SEC selection, and was recognized as a unanimous first-team All-American. He also shared the Gators' most valuable player award with quarterback Tim Tebow, and was named the National Defensive Player of the Year by the Sporting News.
Haden was considered one of the best prospects available for the 2010 NFL Draft. At the NFL Combine, Haden disappointed scouts with a 4.52 sec time in the 40-yard dash, which is average for an NFL cornerback, but it was later revealed he had a sore back at that time. He ran a 4.43 in Florida's Pro Day
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP|
|5 ft 11 in||193 lb||32¾ in||9½ in||4.52 s||1.53 s||2.56 s||4.34 s||6.94 s||35 in||10 ft 5 in||18 reps|
|All values from NFL combine|
Haden was drafted seventh overall by the Cleveland Browns in the 2010 NFL Draft. He and the Browns agreed to a five-year, $50 million contract on July 31, 2010. Haden started his rookie season as the Browns nickelback, but took the starting spot from a struggling, and injured Eric Wright in Week 11. Haden became the first Browns player since 1968 to intercept a pass in four consecutive games. He finished his rookie season with 64 combined tackles, 6 interceptions and one forced fumble.
In 2012, Haden faced a potential four-game suspension after testing positive for Adderall. If he got suspended, Haden had the option to appeal the suspension, which would have resulted in the loss of four game checks ($1.356 million). The league announced on September 10 that Haden will be suspended for four games.
On December 27, 2013, Haden was voted to his first Pro Bowl Selection. On January 3, 2014, Haden was voted to his first All-Pro Selection making the second-team.
|Year||Team||GP||COMB||TOTAL||AST||SACK||FF||FR||FR YDS||INT||IR YDS||AVG IR||LNG||TD||PD|
- GP: games played
- COMB: combined tackles
- TOTAL: total tackles
- AST: assisted tackles
- SACK: sacks
- FF: forced fumbles
- FR: fumble recoveries
- FR YDS: fumble return yards
- INT: interceptions
- IR YDS: interception return yards
- AVG IR: average interception return
- LNG: longest interception return
- TD: interceptions returned for touchdown
- PD: passes defensed
Haden was born in Fort Washington, Maryland to parents Joe and Zakiya Haden. He is the eldest of five boys, his brother Josh was a running back for Boston College, his brother Jordan is a safety for Toledo, and his brother Jonathan is a running back for Arizona. His brother Jacob is a person with special needs, who is unable to verbally communicate.
- 2008 Florida Gators football team
- 2009 College Football All-America Team
- List of Cleveland Browns first-round draft picks
- List of Florida Gators football All-Americans
- List of Florida Gators football players in the NFL
- Joe Haden Recruiting Profile
- Rivals.com athletes 2007
- 2010 Florida Gators Football Media Guide, Gator History, University Athletic Association, Gainesville, Florida, pp. 137, 143, 145, 151, 169–171, 184, 186, 196 (2010). Retrieved April 15, 2011.
- 2012 NCAA Football Records Book, Award Winners, National Collegiate Athletic Association, Indianapolis, Indiana, pp. 12 & 14 (2012). Retrieved September 14, 2012.
- Chris Low, "Cornerback Haden going pro" ESPN (January 3, 2010). Retrieved April 15, 2011.
- Prisco, Pete (April 27, 2009). "Prisco's 2010 draft preview: QB will land No. 1 spot". CBSSports.com.
- Joe Haden. NFLDraftScout.com. Retrieved October 11, 2014.
- "Joe Haden Combine Profile", NFL.com, retrieved March 3, 2010
- "Browns agree to terms with first-round pick Haden" NFL.com, July 30, 2010
-  Cleveland.com, December 5, 2010
- "Joe Haden of Browns reportedly failed drug test". NFL.com. 2012-08-08. Retrieved 2012-09-10.
- "Joe Haden of Cleveland Browns suspended four games". NFL.com. Retrieved 2012-09-10.
- "Joe Haden Stats". ESPN Internet Ventures. Retrieved 14 April 2014.
- Josh Haden. BCEAGLES.COM. Retrieved August 2, 2013.
- Jordan Haden. utrockets.com. Retrieved August 2, 2013.
- Jonathan Haden. arizonawildcats.com. Retrieved February 19, 2014.
- Father knows best. ESPN.com. Retrieved August 5, 2013.
- Cleveland Browns' Joe Haden and new wife Sarah Mahmoodshahi talk about their recent wedding/and are very happy. Cleveland.com. Retrieved August 5, 2013.
- "Browns' Joe Haden learning the Darrelle Revis way".
- Career statistics and player information from NFL.com • ESPN • Pro-Football-Reference
- Florida Gators bio
- Cleveland Browns profile
- NFL Combine profile