|Birth name||Joseph Hahn|
|Also known as||Mr. Hahn|
March 15, 1977 |
Dallas, Texas, USA
|Genres||Nu metal, hip hop, rap rock, electronic rock, industrial rock|
|Occupations||Musician, director, artist|
|Instruments||Turntables, sampler, keyboards, synthesizer, vocals|
|Associated acts||Linkin Park, Fort Minor|
Joseph "Joe" Hahn was born the youngest of three children (he has two elder sisters) on March 15, 1977 in Dallas, Texas, but he grew up in Glendale, California. Hahn is a second generation Korean American.
Hahn graduated from Herbert Hoover High School in Glendale in 1995. He then studied at the Art Center College of Design in Pasadena but did not graduate. Hahn, along with bandmate Mike Shinoda, is responsible for most of Linkin Park's album artwork.
On February 15, 2005, Hahn married Karen Benedit; the couple divorced in 2009.
On October 21, 2012, Hahn married Heidi Woan, whom he had met about two years prior in 2010.
Hahn began deejaying in high school, and he studied illustration at the Art Center College of Design in Pasadena, California. In college, he met Mike Shinoda and joined his band Xero, which later became known as Hybrid Theory in 1999 with the EP release of the same name as the band, then was changed again into Linkin Park during the recording sessions of Hybrid Theory. Hahn and Shinoda guested in The X-Ecutioners' hit single "It's Goin' Down". Hahn also guest starred in Shinoda's Fort Minor's debut album The Rising Tied on the song "Slip Out the Back".
Hahn was called Chairman Hahn on the back cover of Linkin Park's first remix album Reanimation that's next to the songs "With You" and "Cure for the Itch", both titled as "Wth>You" and "Kyur4 TH Ich". Hahn has directed several of Linkin Park's music videos, such as those for "Numb", "From the Inside", "What I've Done", "Somewhere I Belong", "Pts.OF.Athrty", "New Divide", "Bleed It Out" and "Iridescent". He has also directed videos for Alkaline Trio, Static-X, Story of the Year, System of a Down, and Xzibit. In a 2003 interview, he told MTV that film-making was his true passion, and that "doing the music [was] more of an extra thing". He is known to add various dramatic effects to the music videos he directs, such as, casting a snake in the video for "Iridescent".
Outside of his work in music, Hahn provided special effects work on The X-Files and the miniseries Frank Herbert's Dune. He also directed a short film called The Seed, and acquired the rights to produce a film adaptation of China Miéville's novel King Rat.
Hahn directed the trailer for the video game Medal of Honor, featuring Linkin Park's single "The Catalyst". Hahn also directed the music video for "The Catalyst", which premiered on August 26, 2010, as well as the music video for Linkin Park's "Waiting for the End" and "Burning in the Skies". On April 13, 2011, Mike Shinoda confirmed on his blog that the music video for "Iridescent" would be directed by Hahn.
Hahn became the first Korean American to receive a Grammy when the band won the 2002 award for Best Hard Rock Performance. In November 2011, Hahn designed a helmet of Formula 1 driver Kamui Kobayashi. As of April 2012, Hahn directed a film adaptation of Eric Bogosian's Mall, based on the novel, which stars and is executive produced by Vincent D'Onofrio. The musical score for the album was handled by Linkin Park and Alec Puro of Deadsy for the film.
- With Linkin Park
- Other appearances
|2002||"It's Goin' Down" (with Mike Shinoda)||The X-Ecutioners||Built from Scratch|
|2005||"Slip Out the Back"||Fort Minor||The Rising Tied|
|2006||"Where'd You Joe?" (Remix of "Where'd You Go")||Fort Minor Militia EP||Fort Minor Militia exclusive track|
|2007||"Bass on the Bottom" (Mr. Hahn and Troublemaker Remix)||Lady Tigra||Bass on the Bottom (Mr. Hahn + Troublemaker Remix)|
|2008||"The Young & the Hopeless" (Remixed by Mr. Hahn)||Good Charlotte||Greatest Remixes|
|2009||"Vegas Baby"||Uncle Kracker||Happy Hour (5-track Demo)||Outtake from the album, Happy Hour|
|2010||"Black Rock Shooter" (Remix by Joe Hahn)||Hatsune Miku||Black Rock Shooter||The Blu-ray release of Black Rock Shooter features a 30-second test short stop motion video as a bonus featuring a remix of "Black Rock Shooter" by Joe Hahn.|
|1998||War?||System of a Down||Co-directed with Nathan "Karma" Cox|
|In the End|
|Points of Authority|
|Symphony in X Major (featuring Dr. Dre)||Xzibit|
|It's Goin' Down||The X-Ecutioners||Director and guest musician|
|Kyur4 TH Ich||Linkin Park||MTV:Playback and cameo appearance|
|2003||Somewhere I Belong|
|2004||Anthem of Our Dying Day||Story of the Year|
|From the Inside||Linkin Park|
|Breaking the Habit||Co-directed with Kazuto Nakazawa|
|2005||Time to Waste||Alkaline Trio|
|2007||What I've Done||Linkin Park|
|Bleed It Out|
|2008||Shadow of the Day|
|Given Up||Co-directed with Mark Fiore; credited as Linkin Park|
|Leave Out All the Rest|
|Waiting for the End|
|2011||Burning in the Skies|
|2012||Burn It Down|
|2013||A Light That Never Comes||Linkin Park x Steve Aoki|
|2014||Until It's Gone||Linkin Park|
|2005||The Seed||Director||Co-directed with Ken Mercado|
|2014||Mall||Director||Executive produced by Vincent D'Onofrio|
- 'Joe Hahn' (2011) Linkin Park American. Accessed 2011-02-18.
- Linkin Park's Joseph Hahn releases The Seed on iTunes. Monsters & Critics. March 27, 2008. Retrieved on March 21, 2010.
- Han Hyun-Woo."A Band's Linkin Korea". Chosun Ilbo. October 23, 2003. Retrieved on March 21, 2010.
- 'Joseph Hahn Pictures' (2011) Fanpix.net. Accessed 2011-02-18.
- 'Karen Benedit' (May 3, 2005) Linkinlady.net. Accessed 2011-02-18.
- Joe's new girlfriend - Heidi Woan
- Marinel. R. Cruz. "Curse-free music for the young and the restless". Philippine Daily Inquirer. June 2, 2002. 27.
- Alex Pappademas. "RK 101-LP: How to Succeed in Rock'N'Roll by Really, Really Trying". Spin. May 2003. 70.
- Corey Moss. "Linkin Park MC Gets Director With Flair For Video With Flares". MTV. October 20, 2005. Retrieved on March 28, 2010.
- Jon Wiederhorn. "In The End, Linkin Park's Joseph Hahn Wants To Be A Filmmaker". MTV. August 11, 2003. Retrieved on March 21, 2010.
- Joe D'Angelo and Corey Moss. "Why Linkin Park, Disturbed, Foo Fighters Just Say No To Video Directors". MTV. August 27, 2002. Retrieved on March 21, 2010.
- Steve Baltin. "Linkin DJ Plants 'Seed'. Rolling Stone. August 9, 2005. Retrieved on March 21, 2010.
- Corey Moss. "Linkin Park's Joseph Hahn To Take On 'King Rat'. MTV. September 29, 2003. Retrieved on March 21, 2010.
- "Medal Of Honor Features Linkin Park "The Catalyst"". EA. Retrieved 2010-07-28.
- Bobby Kim. "Linkin Park: Not Some Korean Kid's Name". KoreAm Journal. May 9, 2002. Retrieved on March 21, 2010.
- Kobayashi sports Linkin Park helmet design formula1.com. Retrieved on November 27, 2011.
- "Gina Gershon, Mimi Rogers and Peter Stormare Enter Linkin Park DJ’s ‘Mall’". BloodyDisgusting.
- "Eric Bogosian’s ‘Mall’ In Movie Crosshairs With Vincent D’Onofrio, Chelsea Handler". Deadline.
- Joe Hahn at the Internet Movie Database
- Joe Hahn Official Website
- Joe Hahn on Tumblr
- Joe Hahn Fan Website
- Hahn's official LPN page from linkinpark.com
- "Billboard" - Google Books