Johnston at the 2010 San Diego Comic-Con International.
|Born||Joseph Eggleston Johnston II
May 13, 1950
Austin, Texas, U.S.
|Education||Art Center College of Design|
|Alma mater||California State University|
|Occupation||Film director, film producer, effects artist, art director|
|Notable work||Honey, I Shrunk the Kids, The Rocketeer, Jumanji, October Sky, Jurassic Park III, Hidalgo, The Wolfman, Captain America: The First Avenger|
Joseph Eggleston "Joe" Johnston II (born May 13, 1950) is an American film director and former effects artist best known for such effects-driven movies as Honey, I Shrunk the Kids (1989), Jumanji (1995) and Jurassic Park III (2001), and for period films such as The Rocketeer (1991), October Sky (1999), The Wolfman (2010), and Captain America: The First Avenger (2011).
He began his career as a concept artist and effects technician on the first Star Wars film, directed by George Lucas. His association with Lucas would later prove fruitful, winning him an Academy Award for Best Visual Effects for his work on Lucas and Steven Spielberg's film Raiders of the Lost Ark. He continued to work on many films as an effects expert, and acted as associate producer on the film Willow.
In 1984, Lucas gave him a sabbatical, with salary, and paid his tuition to attend the USC School of Cinematic Arts. Johnston left after a year, saying he "was asked not to return" because he "broke too many rules".
Johnston made his directorial debut with the hit Honey, I Shrunk the Kids, and followed this with the comic-book adaptation The Rocketeer (1991). The film was a commercial failure, as was his next, the animated and live-action The Pagemaster. Johnston rebounded, directing the family hit Jumanji, starring Robin Williams. The film overcame lukewarm reviews to gross over $260 million. Johnston was set to direct Hulk, but dropped out in July 1997. Johnston then switched gears from effects-driven action films to the more personal and critically acclaimed October Sky (1999), starring Jake Gyllenhaal as a 1950s West Virginia high school student who dreams of being a rocket scientist for NASA despite his father's wishes.
Johnston's first project of the 2000s was the sequel Jurassic Park III. The film continued his relationship with Spielberg and made over US$300 million at the box office. Johnston followed this with the western Hidalgo, starring Viggo Mortensen. Johnston then took a six-year break before directing the 2010 remake of the 1941 horror classic The Wolfman, starring Benicio del Toro and Anthony Hopkins. In part for his experience with the period superhero film The Rocketeer, Johnston was selected to direct the Marvel Studios superhero adaptation Captain America: The First Avenger, released July 22, 2011. The film stars Chris Evans as the comic-book hero and Hugo Weaving as his archenemy the Red Skull. The film is part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe group of films that also includes Iron Man, Iron Man 2, Thor, The Incredible Hulk, and The Avengers.
He is the author of the Star Wars book The Adventures of Teebo: A Tale of Magic and Suspense, a fantasy novel tied to Return of the Jedi (New York: Random House, 1984; ISBN 0-394-86568-5, ISBN 0-394-96568-X).
|Year||Title||Director||Producer||Effects Artist||Art Director||Notes|
|1977||Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope||Yes|
|1980||Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back||Yes||Yes|
|1981||Raiders of the Lost Ark||Yes||Yes|
|1983||Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi||Yes|
|1984||Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom||Yes|
|1986||Howard the Duck||Yes||Ultralight sequence designer|
|1987||*batteries not included||Second unit director, production manager|
|1989||Always||Yes||Aerial sequence designer|
|Honey, I Shrunk the Kids||Yes|
|1994||The Pagemaster||Yes||Live-action scenes|
|2001||Jurassic Park III||Yes|
|2011||Captain America: The First Avenger||Yes||Yes|
|2014||Not Safe for Work||Yes|
|1978–1979||Battlestar Galactica||Effects illustration and design|
|1984||The Ewok Adventure||Production Designer
|1985||Ewoks: The Battle for Endor|
|Star Wars: Droids||Writer
Episode: "Coby and the Starhunters"
|1993||The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles||Director
Episode: "Princeton, February 1916"
|*batteries not included (1987)||64%|
|Honey, I Shrunk the Kids (1989)||73%|
|The Rocketeer (1991)||61%|
|The Pagemaster (1994)||18%|
|October Sky (1999)||90%|
|Jurassic Park III (2001)||50%|
|The Wolfman (2010)||35%|
|Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)||79%|
|Not Safe for Work (2014)||27%|
- "Texas Birth Index, 1903–1997".[non-primary source needed]
- Diaz, Victor. "Austin-born Oscar winner directs 'Captain America'", Austin.YNN.com, July 22, 2011.
- Buchanan, Jason. "Film > Film Biography > Joe Johnston", AllMovie.com, n.d.
- "2004 interview with Joe Johnston. Retrieved 12 August 2012". Articles.baltimoresun.com. 2004-03-08. Retrieved 2014-01-11.
- "2001 ''filmschoolrejects'' website interview with Joe Johnston. Retrieved 12 August 2012". Filmschoolrejects.com. 2011-07-18. Retrieved 2014-01-11.
- "Jumanji (1995) - Box Office Mojo". boxofficemojo.com.
- Michael Fleming (April 14, 1997). "A Mania For Marvel". Variety. Retrieved November 10, 2008.
- Nicholson, Amy. "Exclusive: 'Captain America' & 'JP4' News". Boxoffice, January 13, 2010
- Joe Johnston. "''The Adventures of Teebo''". OpenLibrary.org. Retrieved 2014-01-11.
- "*batteries not included". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 2014-01-11.
- "Willow". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 2014-01-11.
- "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 2014-01-11.
- "The Rocketeer". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 2014-01-11.
- "The Pagemaster". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 2014-01-11.
- "Jumanji". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 2014-01-11.
- "October Sky". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 2014-01-11.
- "Jurassic Park III". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 2014-01-11.
- "Hidalgo". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 2014-01-11.
- "The Wolfman". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 2014-01-11.
- "Captain America: The First Avenger". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 2014-01-11.
- "Not Safe For Work". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 2015-05-25.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Joe Johnston.|
- Joe Johnston at the Internet Movie Database
- Star Wars Actors Database
- Joe Johnston's concept art for Battlestar Galactica
- Joe Johnston Fan Site