Joe Lewis (footballer)
Lewis playing for Peterborough United in 2012
|Full name||Joseph Peter Lewis|
|Date of birth||6 October 1987|
|Place of birth||Bury St Edmunds, England|
|Height||6 ft 5 in (1.96 m)|
|Current club||Cardiff City|
|2007||→ Stockport County (loan)||5||(0)|
|2007||→ Morecambe (loan)||19||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 12:52, 19 February 2012 (UTC).
† Appearances (Goals).
Born in Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, Lewis had been involved with Norwich City's youth system since 1995 at the age of eight. In August 2003 he agreed to join Norwich as a scholar at the culmination of his studies at Bungay High School in the summer of 2004. However, before he had completed his studies and at the age of just 15 years and 356 days old, he experienced life with the first team squad when a knee injury to Paul Crichton saw Lewis handed a place on the bench for the 2–1 home victory over Crystal Palace on 27 September 2003. He maintained his place on the bench for the next six games until Crichton returned to fitness at the beginning of November.
The 2004–05 season saw Lewis begin as a full-time scholar though this period was short as in October he signed a three-year contract to become a professional. That season saw Lewis have an insight into life in the Premier League as he was named on the bench for the 2–0 home defeat by Tottenham Hotspur on 26 December 2004. His second professional season, 2005–06, saw him sit on Norwich's bench for the final four games. At the culmination of the season, the then manager Nigel Worthington considered the possibility of sending Lewis out on loan for the 2006–07 season to enable him to gain first-team experience. However, the sale of Robert Green to West Ham United meant that Lewis became second-choice goalkeeper at Carrow Road before a fractured cheekbone sustained in a reserve team game against Leyton Orient prompted the loan signing of Lee Camp. On 15 November, Lewis played for Bury reserves against Blackpool with a view to signing on loan but no move materialised.
Lewis finally had an opportunity of first team football when he joined Stockport County in March 2007 for the remainder of the 2006–07 season, playing five games and keeping three clean sheets. He was rewarded with a three-year deal at Norwich, in May 2007.
Lewis signed for Peterborough United on 8 January 2007, for a report fee of £400,000, breaking the club's record transfer fee. He went on to make his debut against Macclesfield Town on 12 January. At the end of the season Peterborough finished as runners-up in League Two, meaning they were promoted to League One.
His first full season at London Road Stadium resulted in another promotion where the club won promotion to the Championship. On 13 April 2009, Lewis was made to face a penalty three times against Millwall in an unusual refereeing decision. After David Martin for Millwall was tripped and a penalty awarded against Peterborough, Lewis was judged by the assistant referee to have moved off his line before the ball had been struck by Gary Alexander twice. On both occasions Lewis saved the penalty. At the third attempt, Millwall replaced the unsuccessful Alexander with David Martin, who scored and this time the penalty stood. Speaking on Sky Sports News after the event, ex-referee Dermot Gallagher commented that whilst the assistant was consistently working to the letter of the law, his decisions were harsh.
However his first season in the Championship, wasn't as much as a success which resulted in relegation back down to the third tier. Peterborough started off strongly and Lewis was first choice keeper nearly all the season, however after fracturing his kneecap (and playing a whole half with it fractured) against MK Dons in the play-off semi final, he was forced to miss the second leg and final through injury. Peterborough went on to win promotion, defeating Huddersfield 3–0 in style in the final. During his fifth season at Peterborough, Lewis was replaced as first choice keeper permanently by Paul Jones and only made 12 appearances. His last appearance for the club came on 14 February, in a 3–1 loss at Cardiff City. On 30 April, Lewis was released by the club at the end of his contract with Cardiff City and Ipswich Town interested in signing him.
On 25 May 2012, Lewis agreed a three-year deal at Welsh club Cardiff City which would commence on 1 July, where he linked up with former Norwich City team mates, Malky Mackay (now manager of Cardiff) and David Marshall. He made his debut for the club on 14 August, in a League Cup defeat to Northampton Town, and a second appearance came in the F.A. Cup exit at Macclesfield Town in January.
In May 2008, he received a call-up to the senior England squad, replacing an injured Chris Kirkland for the friendlies against USA and Trinidad and Tobago. However, Lewis was an unused substitute for both games.
He made his third appearance for the under-21s in a friendly against the Czech Republic only to come off with an ankle injury after 33 minutes. He came on from the bench on the game against Azerbaijan coming on for Lee Cattermole as an outfield player.
- As of 14 September 2013.
|Club Performance||League||Cup||League Cup||Other||Total|
|England||League||FA Cup||League Cup||Other||Total|
|2006–07||Stockport County||League Two||5||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||5||0|
- Football League Two runner-up: 2007–08
- Football League One runner-up: 2008–09
- Football League One play-offs: 2010–11
- Hugman, Barry J., ed. (2010). The PFA Footballers' Who's Who 2010–11. Mainstream Publishing. p. 252. ISBN 978-1-84596-601-0.
- "Joe Lewis Career History". Up The Posh!. Retrieved 13 May 2011.
- "Joe Lewis commits himself to the club". Norwich City F.C. 5 August 2003. Retrieved 4 June 2008.
- "Back to school for Lewis". Norwich City F.C. (taken from the Eastern Daily Press). 29 September 2003. Retrieved 4 June 2008.
- "Joe Lewis signs as a professional". Norwich City F.C. 22 October 2004. Retrieved 4 June 2008.
- "Lewis nets professional contract". BBC Sport. 23 October 2004. Retrieved 4 June 2008.
- "Lewis and Mulryne handed place on bench". Norwich City F.C. 26 December 2004. Retrieved 4 June 2008.
- "Lewis may be loan ranger". Norwich City F.C. 13 June 2006. Retrieved 4 June 2008.
- "City to sign Lee Camp on loan". Norwich City F.C. 7 September 2006. Retrieved 4 June 2008.
- "Norwich's Lewis on trial at Bury". BBC Sport. 16 November 2006. Retrieved 4 June 2008.
- "Preview: Brentford v Bury". Manchester Evening News. 4 March 2008. Retrieved 4 June 2008.
- "Stockport snap up Norwich keeper". BBC Sport. 22 March 2007. Retrieved 4 June 2008.
- "Lewis signs new contract". Norwich City F.C. 10 May 2007. Retrieved 4 June 2008.
- "Peterborough United list Grant McCann, release Joe Lewis". BBC Sport. 30 April 2012. Retrieved 30 April 2012.
- "Lewis agrees deal with Cardiff City". Cardiff City Official Site. 25 May 2012. Retrieved 10 October 2013.
- "Hull 1–1 Cardiff". BBC Sport. 14 September 2013. Retrieved 14 September.
- "Posh keeper given England call-up". BBC Sport (British Broadcast Corporation). 24 May 2008. Retrieved 2 November 2013.
- "England 2-0 USA". BBC Sport (British Broadcast Corporation). 28 May 2008. Retrieved 2 November 2013.
- "Trinidad & Tobago 0-3 England". BBC Sport (British Broadcast Corporation). 1 June 2008. Retrieved 2 November 2013.
- England U21 7–0 Azerbaijan U21
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Joe Lewis (footballer).|