September 12, 1982 |
Fremont, California, United States
|Alma mater||Stanford University (B.S.)|
Joe Lonsdale (September 12, 1982) is an American entrepreneur, investor and philanthropist. Lonsdale is a founding partner at Formation 8 Partners, a Silicon Valley technology investment fund that operates mostly between the United States and Asia. Lonsdale also co-founded and serves as Chairman of Addepar, a private wealth management technology company. Previously, Lonsdale co-founded Palantir Technologies, a private company focused on analyzing, integrating and visualizing data especially in the global defense and finance space. Palantir was recently valued at as much as $8 billion on secondary markets. Prior to Palantir, Lonsdale was an early executive at Clarium Capital, a multi-billion dollar hedge fund founded by Peter Thiel. Lonsdale has founded a number of other companies and organizations, including OpenGov, Zanbato, as well as working with Lady Gaga to launch Backplane. He also served as founding Chairman of The Seasteading Institute, California Common Sense, and is the Chairman of ONEHOPE Wine. Lonsdale has invested in dozens of early stage technology companies.
Lonsdale graduated from Stanford University in 2003 with a degree in Computer Science. He also studied financial markets and macro-economics, and served as Editor-in-Chief of The Stanford Review, the university’s conservative/libertarian newspaper. Lonsdale is a member of the Phi Kappa Psi Fraternity.
Lonsdale joined the financial arm of PayPal while still a student at Stanford. After graduation he left to work in a variety of roles with PayPal co-founder, Peter Thiel. Most notably, Lonsdale served as an early executive at Clarium Capital, a macro hedge fund founded by Thiel. At Clarium's peak the fund had nearly $7 billion in assets under management.
In 2004, Lonsdale co-founded Palantir Technologies with Thiel, Alex Karp, Stephen Cohen, and Nathan Gettings. Palantir’s software allows human analysts to explore data from many sources, specifically in the intelligence and financial services sectors. Palantir is said to have one of the top engineering teams in Silicon Valley, as well as one of the most unique corporate cultures. Lonsdale initially served as co-head of product at Palantir. After the core leadership and engineering teams were established, Lonsdale and Eric Poirier built Palantir Finance (now known as Metropolis) as a separate division within Palantir. They created a technology platform analogous in scope to the government platform but focused on time series data and financial ontologies.
Palantir Finance became the backbone of Palantir Commercial which is reportedly responsible for half of Palantir’s revenues.
Lonsdale co-founded Addepar in 2009 with Jason Mirra, who serves as Chief Technology Officer. Addepar works with Registered Investment Advisors (RIAs), major private banks, and family offices to provide transparency into client portfolios. Currently Addepar has over $100 billion in assets managed on the platform. The company has attracted a cadre of supporters from the finance industry including Stanley Druckenmiller, Kenneth Langone, Harrison LeFrak, Poju Zabludowicz, Justin Rockefeller and a number of others.
Lonsdale currently serves as Executive Chairman at Addepar.
Angel Investor and Venture Capitalist
In 2010, Lonsdale launched Anduin Ventures, a seed fund focused on helping the best technology teams in Silicon Valley build information technology companies across a variety of industries. Anduin's advisors included Alex Moore, Steve Loughlin, Matt Michelsen, and Brian Koo. Anduin's portfolio companies include Addepar, Any.do, The Backplane, Badgeville, Blueprint Labs, Wish (ContextLogic), Edmodo, Healthtap, JoyTunes, Karma, Onramp, Ostendo, Ness, Practice Fusion and Vicarious.
Formation 8 Partners
In 2011, Lonsdale co-founded Formation 8 Partners with Brian Koo and Jim Kim. Other senior members of Formation 8 include Gideon Yu, Tom Baruch, and James Zhang. The fund has a broad mandate, investing across stages in both IT and energy companies. Lonsdale manages the IT investments, focusing on entrepreneurs building “Smart Enterprise” companies (see below). Lonsdale represents Formation 8 on the board of RelateIQ, Wish (ContextLogic), Revinate, and OpenGov (formerly Delphi). Other Formation 8 investments include AKAStudy, Blend Labs, BuildZoom, Foro Energy, PeopleCo (formerly Hyperdyadic), LearnSprout, Oculus VR, and Thalmic Labs.
Other business activities
Lonsdale has co-founded a number of other companies. Examples include OpenGov, Zanbato, and The Backplane.
Lonsdale serves as Chairman of California Common Sense (“CACS.org”), a non-partisan non-profit dedicated to opening government to the public, developing data-driven policy analysis, and educating citizens about how their governments work. In July 2010, CACS.org launched California’s first-ever data transparency portal. The platform, which combines sophisticated analysis with data visualization, stands as one of the most advanced government data platforms in the country. Lonsdale also serves on the Board of Strive for College and ONEHOPE Wine, a social enterprise company devoted to donating a portion of their profits to charity. He was formerly on the Board of the Social Profit Foundation and was the founding Chairman of The Seasteading Institute.
Lonsdale is a supporter and adviser to Thorn, a non-profit founded founded by Ashton Kutcher and Demi Moore which partners with innovative technology companies to prevent child-trafficking and child pornography.
Lonsdale often speaks at technology events and conferences around the world. Some notable appearances include:
On February 12, 2014 Lonsdale and Marc Andreessen were featured as the Keynote for the 2014 Goldman Sachs Technology Conference in San Francisco with Gary Cohn. They discussed a variety of issues including bitcoin, valuations of technology companies, and the impact of mobile.
On May 1, 2013, Lonsdale was featured as a panelist at 2013 NYC TechCrunch Disrupt, where he spoke widely about venture capital investing, entrepreneurship and macroeconomic trends affecting the world today. Of particular note, Lonsdale advocated for the country’s top engineers to aspire to tackle the world’s problems. Lonsdale’s comments were parallel to a number of entrepreneurs who made similar calls to action (including Chamath Palihapitiya), and echoed similar comments made by Lonsdale in a January 20, 2013 TechCrunch article.
Lonsdale has been featured twice on CNBC’s SquawkBox. Following the Edward Snowden affair, Lonsdale discussed big data and security in a June 26, 2013 episode titled “Big Data’s Past Present and Future.” On April 29, 2013 Lonsdale was featured in an episode titled “The Disruptors” on which he discussed how Silicon Valley technology is beginning to emerge as a force on Wall Street.
In 2011, Lonsdale participated in TEDxSilicon Valley. Lonsdale gave a speech titled "Learning from Numbers" where he discussed technology's role within finance.
In 2010 Lonsdale participated in TEDx La Jolla, giving a speech entitled "Man Machine Symbiosis."
The Smart Enterprise Wave
A common theme across the majority of Lonsdale’s public speaking and written work is Smart Enterprise. Lonsdale has coined the term to describe the companies leading the 6th wave of Innovation occurring in Silicon Valley.
Specifically, Smart Enterprise companies leverage recent IT advances in order to integrate heterogeneous big data and empower knowledge workers to solve non-linear problems across major economic industries. By doing so, these companies gain the potential to harness network effects within their industry vertical and become platforms, increasing innovation by enabling novel applications to quickly spread throughout the industry.
- Lashinsky, Adam (2013-04-11). "The hottest VCs since Andreessen - Apr. 11, 2013". Money.cnn.com. Retrieved 2013-10-12.
- "Addepar". Addepar. Retrieved 2013-10-12.
- "Secretive Startup Palantir Is Now Worth ~$8 Billion, According To Cofounder". SFGate. 2013-01-15. Retrieved 2013-10-12.
- "Joe Lonsdale". Formation 8. Retrieved 2013-10-12.
- "OpenGov | CrunchBase Profile". Crunchbase.com. Retrieved 2013-10-12.
- "Zanbato | CrunchBase Profile". Crunchbase.com. 2011-12-13. Retrieved 2013-10-12.
- "From Hedge Funds to Lady Gaga". Businessweek. 2011-06-09. Retrieved 2013-04-22
- "Glenn Beck talks to Joe Lonsdale about Seasteading". YouTube. 2008-08-27. Retrieved 2013-10-12.
- "Supporters Team". CACS. Retrieved 2013-10-12.
- "Our Team « OneHope Foundation". Onehopefoundation.org. Retrieved 2013-10-12.
- "Anduin Ventures". Anduin Ventures. Retrieved 2013-10-12.
- "30 Executives Who Are Excellent At Chess". Business Insider. 2012-06-24. Retrieved 2013-10-12.
- "Joe Lonsdale | CrunchBase Profile". Crunchbase.com. Retrieved 2013-10-12.
- Packer, George. "No Death, No Taxes: The libertarianfuturism of a Silicon Valley billionaire.". The New Yorker. Retrieved2011-12-07.
- Ari Gesher(2010-03-08). "Palantir Technologies » BlogArchive » Friction in Human-Computer Symbiosis: Kasparov on Chess". Blog.palantirtech.com. Retrieved2012-01-30.
- "Revenge of the Nerds 2". Scribd.com. 2012-01-26. Retrieved 2013-10-12.
- Gorman, Siobhan (2009-09-04). "How Team of Geeks Cracked Spy Trade - WSJ.com". Online.wsj.com. Retrieved 2013-10-12.
- "Palantir founder Joe Lonsdale's investment tech startup Addepar names CEO, COO - Silicon Valley Business Journal". Bizjournals.com. 2013-07-11. Retrieved 2013-10-12.
- "Addepar | CrunchBase Profile". Crunchbase.com. 2013-01-20. Retrieved 2013-10-12.
- "Investments". Anduin Ventures. Retrieved 2013-10-12.
- "Formation 8 Raises Its First Fund Of $448M To Plug Silicon Valley Startups Into Asian Conglomerates". TechCrunch. 2013-04-18. Retrieved 2013-10-12.
- "Team". Formation 8. Retrieved 2013-10-12.
- "Formation 8". Formation 8. Retrieved 2013-10-12.
- "RelateIQ Launches With $29M From Formation 8, Dustin Moskovitz And More To Be Your Next-Gen Relationship Manager". TechCrunch. 2013-06-12. Retrieved 2013-10-12.
- "Wish | CrunchBase Profile". Crunchbase.com. Retrieved 2013-10-12.
- [dead link]
- "Financial Transparency Software". OpenGov. Retrieved 2013-10-12.
- "Portfolio". Formation 8. Retrieved 2013-10-12.
- "YC-Backed Contractor Directory BuildZoom Raises $1.4 Million Seed Round". TechCrunch. 2013-06-25. Retrieved 2013-10-12.
- "Andreessen-Backed LearnSprout Wants To Help Developers Unlock Educational Data". TechCrunch. 2012-07-11. Retrieved 2013-10-12.
- "Oculus VR Closes $16M Funding Round - Oculus Rift Team To Double". Forbes. 2013-06-17. Retrieved 2013-10-12.
- "About Thalmic Labs, Company Founders, Investors, Venture Capital". Thalmic.com. Retrieved 2013-10-12.
- Dakin Sloss (August 24, 2011). "Stanford Group Works to Fix Government with Data". Cacs.org. Retrieved 14 August 2014.
- "Successes". CACS. Retrieved 2013-10-12.
- "Board of Directors". Strive for College. Retrieved 2013-10-12.
- "How We Are Different « OneHope Foundation". Onehopefoundation.org. Retrieved 2013-10-12.
- "Social Profit Foundation". Web.archive.org. 2009-05-02. Archived from the original on 2009-05-02. Retrieved 2013-10-12.
- http://techcrunch.com/2014/02/12/marc-andreessen-tech-is-still-recovering-from-a-depression/. Missing or empty
- "2013 Select Confirmed Participants". Fortune Conferences. 2008-09-23. Retrieved 2013-10-12.
- "Fireside chat with Joe Lonsdale". YouTube. 2013-06-18. Retrieved 2013-10-12.
- "Joe Lonsdale Of Formation 8 Sees Goverment, Finance, Healthcare, Energy And Logistics As Ripe Areas For Disruption". TechCrunch. 2013-05-01. Retrieved 2013-10-12.
- "Investor Chamath Palihapitiya Says We’re At An ‘Absolute’ Low Point In Startup Quality". TechCrunch. 2013-05-01. Retrieved 2013-10-12.
- "The Silicon Valley Elite Need A Culture Of Duty". TechCrunch. 2013-01-20. Retrieved 2013-10-12.
- "Big Data's Past, Present and Future - CNBC". Video.cnbc.com. Retrieved 2013-10-12.
- "Funding Startups in Silicon Valley - CNBC". Video.cnbc.com. Retrieved 2013-10-12.
- "TEDx Silicon Valley » Learning from Numbers". Tedxsv.org. Retrieved 2013-10-12.
- "September 21st, 2013". Tedx La Jolla. 2013-09-21. Retrieved 2013-10-12.
- "The Smart Enterprise Wave". Formation 8. Retrieved 2013-10-12.