Joe M. Nishimoto
|Joe M. Nishimoto|
Private First Class Joe Nishimoto
February 21, 1919|
|Died||November 15, 1944
near La Houssiere, France
|Allegiance||United States of America|
|Service/branch||United States Army|
|Years of service||1943 - 1944|
|Rank||Private First Class|
|Unit||442nd Regimental Combat Team|
|Battles/wars||World War II|
|Awards||Medal of Honor|
Private First Class Joe M. Nishimoto (February 21, 1919 – November 15, 1944) was a United States Army soldier. He is best known for receiving the Medal of Honor because of his actions in World War II.
Medal of Honor citation
Private First Class Nishimoto's official Medal of Honor citation reads:
Private First Class Joe M. Nishimoto distinguished himself by extraordinary heroism in action on 7 November 1944, near La Houssiere, France. After three days of unsuccessful attempts by his company to dislodge the enemy from a strongly defended ridge, Private First Class Nishimoto, as acting squad leader, boldly crawled forward through a heavily mined and booby-trapped area. Spotting a machine gun nest, he hurled a grenade and destroyed the emplacement. Then, circling to the rear of another machine gun position, he fired his submachine gun at point-blank range, killing one gunner and wounding another. Pursuing two enemy riflemen, Private First Class Nishimoto killed one, while the other hastily retreated. Continuing his determined assault, he drove another machine gun crew from its position. The enemy, with their key strong points taken, were forced to withdraw from this sector. Private First Class Nishimoto's extraordinary heroism and devotion to duty are in keeping with the highest traditions of military service and reflect great credit on him, his unit, and the United States Army.
- US Army Center of Military History, "Medal of Honor Recipients, World War II (M-S)"; retrieved 2012-12-7.
- U.S. National Archives and Records Administration (NARA), Japanese-American Internee Data File, 1942-1946 #29517 (Nishimoto, Joe M.); retrieved 2012-12-7.
- NARA, WWII Army Enlistment Record #35229917 (Nishimoto, Joe M.); retrieved 2012-12-7.
- Go for Broke National Education Center, "Medal of Honor Recipient Private Shinyei Nakamine"; retrieved 2012-12-7.
- "100th Battalion, 442nd Infantry" at Global Security.org; retrieved 2012-12-7.
- "21 Asian American World War II Vets to Get Medal of Honor" at University of Hawaii Digital History; retrieved 2012-12-7.
- Gomez-Granger, Julissa. (2008). Medal of Honor Recipients: 1979-2008, "Nishimoto, Joe M.," pp. 15-16 [PDF 19-20 of 44]; retrieved 2012-12-7.