|45th Lieutenant Governor of Missouri|
November 15, 2000 – January 10, 2005
|Governor||Roger B. Wilson
|Preceded by||Roger Wilson|
|Succeeded by||Peter Kinder|
March 17, 1957 |
Joe Maxwell (born March 17, 1957) is an American attorney who served as the 45th Lieutenant Governor for the state of Missouri. He is a Democrat who also served in the Missouri House of Representatives and the Missouri Senate.
Joseph E. Maxwell was born on St. Patricks Day 1957 in Kirksville, Missouri and grew up on a farm near Rush Hill in rural Audrain County, Missouri. He is a graduate of Community R-VI High School in Laddonia and received his higher education at the University of Missouri. Maxwell earned a Bachelor of Science in Education from Mizzou in 1986, and his Juris Doctorate from the University of Missouri School of Law in 1990. Prior to receiving his higher education, Maxwell worked as a rural mail carrier for the U.S Postal Service and also operated a small business with his twin brother. Joe Maxwell is a military veteran who retired in 1995 with the rank of First Sergeant after twenty years in the Missouri National Guard. Maxwell and wife Sarah are the parents of two daughters. He is currently an attorney in private practice in Mexico, Missouri with the firm of Hagan, Hamlett and Maxwell as well as Chief Executive Officer of Heritage Acres Foods and Council Member of Missourians for a Balanced Energy Future.
Joe Maxwell served two terms in the Missouri House of Representatives, being elected in 1990 and again in 1992. In 1994 Maxwell ran for and won election to the Missouri Senate representing the 18th District. He easily defeated Republican challenger James Lemon in 1998 to win reelection. Joe Maxwell was elected to statewide office in 2000, defeating Republican Wendell Bailey in the race for Missouri Lieutenant Governor. He chose not to run for the office again in 2004, citing his wife's health problems.
|Missouri 18th District State Senate Election 1998|
|Democratic||Joe Maxwell (incumbent)||20,586||Winner|
|Missouri Lieutenant Governor Election 2000|
- Rebecca McDowell Cook. Official Manual: State of Missouri 1997–1998. p. 116.
- "Senator Joe Maxwell - Member Biography". Senate.mo.gov. Retrieved October 11, 2011.
- "Joe Maxwell -Lt. Governor, Missouri". Juntosociety.com. Retrieved October 11, 2011.
- St. Louis Business Journal (February 5, 2009). "St. Louis Business Journal – Group formed to guide state energy plans". Stlouis.bizjournals.com. Retrieved October 11, 2011.
- "Hagan, Hamlett and Maxwell, L.L.C. - Law Firm in Mexico, Missouri". Lawyers.com. Retrieved October 11, 2011.
- Powers, Marc (August 27, 2003). "Local News: Maxwell won't run for re-election (08/27/03)". seMissourian.com. Retrieved October 11, 2011.
Roger B. Wilson
|Lieutenant Governor of Missouri
|This article about a Missouri politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|