Joe Morgan (American football)
No. -- Free agent
|Date of birth:March 23, 1988|
|Place of birth: Canton, Ohio|
|High school: Canton (OH) McKinley|
|Undrafted in 2011|
|Debuted in 2012 for the New Orleans Saints|
Career NFL statistics as of Week 11, 2014
Joseph Morgan (born March 23, 1988) is an American football wide receiver who last played for the New Orleans Saints of the National Football League. He played college football at Illinois and Walsh and was signed by the Saints as an undrafted free agent in 2011.
2011 NFL Combine
|Ht||Wt||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 1 in||189 lb||4.40 s||1.56 s||2.55 s||4.25 s||6.91 s||36.5 in||10 ft 4 in||10 reps|
|All values from NFL Combine|
New Orleans Saints
Morgan was signed as an undrafted free agent by the New Orleans Saints on July 27, 2011. Little known at the beginning of training camp, he became a focus of attention after he scored touchdowns in consecutive preseason games, and was considered a strong candidate to make the regular season roster until he suffered a knee injury. He was placed on injured reserve on September 3, 2011.
In 2012 Morgan made the roster as a backup receiver. During the first three games of the season, he had only one catch and little impact, but in the Saints' fourth game, at Green Bay, he caught an 80 yard touchdown pass from Drew Brees for his first NFL touchdown and the team's longest play of the season so far. In the Saints' sixth game at Tampa Bay, he made another spectacular scoring play: after catching a long pass from Brees inside the 10 yard line, he evaded Mark Barron's tackle and managed to stay off the ground, regained his balance and flipped Eric Wright over his head as he stood up, and finally dashed into the end zone before taking a hard hit from Cody Grimm to score what a USA Today writer called "one of the great scoring efforts of the season".
On August 7, 2013, the New Orleans Saints announced that Morgan suffered a torn meniscus and a partially torn ACL during training camp practice and will miss the entire 2013 season. On August 27, 2013, the Saints placed Morgan on injured reserve. On October 26, 2014, head coach Sean Payton announced that Morgan was suspended, for reasons which were not given by him. On December 9, 2014, Joe Morgan was waived by the New Orleans Saints.
- "Saints Agree to Terms with 20 Undrafted Rookie Free Agents". 27 July 2011. Retrieved November 20, 2011.
- Bradley Handwerger, "Saints’ Joe Morgan impresses with 78-yard punt return", WWL-TV, August 12, 2011.
- James Varney, "New Orleans Saints WR Joe Morgan state his case with another TD", Times-Picayune, August 21, 2011.
- "McKinley grad Joe Morgan opening eyes in Saints camp", Associated Press in The Repository (Canton, Ohio), August 24, 2011.
- Mike Triplett, "Some New Orleans Saints roster spots hinge on health as well as performance", Times-Picayune, August 28, 2011.
- "Saints Announce Practice Squad". NewOrleansSaints.com. 4 September 2011. Retrieved November 20, 2011.
- Nakia Hogan, "New Orleans Saints receiver Joe Morgan finally provides big play", Times-Picayune, September 30, 2012.
- Robert Klemko, "Saints' Joseph Morgan scores TD with Jackie Chan-like effort", USA Today, October 21, 2012.
- Rosenthal, Gregg (August 7, 2013). "Saints' Kenyon Coleman, Joe Morgan out for season". NFL.com. Retrieved August 10, 2013.
- "Sean Payton announces Saints have traded for 49ers linebacker Parys Haralson". NewOrleansSaints.com. August 27, 2013. Retrieved September 7, 2013.
- New Orleans Saints bio
- Illinois Fighting Illini bio
- CBSSports.com draft profile
- NFL Combine player profile