Nickell at the 2010 European Skeptics Congress in Budapest
December 1, 1944 |
West Liberty, KY
|Education||Ph.D. in English|
|Alma mater||University of Kentucky|
|Occupation||Senior Research Fellow|
Joe Nickell (born December 1, 1944) is a prominent American skeptical investigator of the paranormal. He also works as an historical document consultant and has helped expose such famous forgeries as the purported diary of Jack the Ripper. In 2002 he was one of a number of experts asked by scholar Henry Louis Gates, Jr. to evaluate for authenticity the manuscript of Hannah Crafts' The Bondwoman's Narrative (1853–1860), possibly the first novel by an African-American woman.
Nickell is Senior Research Fellow for the Committee for Skeptical Inquiry (CSI) and writes regularly for their journal, the Skeptical Inquirer. He is also an associate dean of the Center for Inquiry Institute. He is the author or editor of numerous books.
Early life and education
Nickell has worked professionally as a stage magician, carnival pitchman, private detective, blackjack dealer, riverboat manager, university instructor, author, and paranormal investigator, as well as listing over 200 "personas" on his website.
Nickell has evaluated manuscripts and written works for authenticity, including the purported diary of Jack the Ripper (which he helped to reveal as a forgery), and Hannah Crafts' mid-nineteenth century novel The Bondwoman's Narrative, whose authenticity he supported.
Public and media appearances
Nickell is frequently consulted by news and television producers for his skeptical opinion. He was profiled by The New Yorker. Nickell is a recurring guest on Point of Inquiry, and conducts the annual Houdini Seance at the Center for Inquiry every Halloween.
Nickell has appeared on the following national TV shows:
- CNBC's News with Brian Williams
- Dateline NBC
- TLC's Best Kept Secrets
- Larry King Live
- Ricki Lake
- Jerry Springer Show
- Arthur C. Clarke's Mysterious Universe
- Unsolved Mysteries
- Politically Incorrect
- A&E's The Unexplained
- 48 Hours
- Exploring the Unknown
- Several Discovery Channel documentaries including The Science of Magic and America's Haunted Houses
In October 2011 asteroid 31451 (1999 CE10) was named JoeNickell in his honor by its discoverer James E. McGaha.
- The Science of Ghosts (Prometheus Books: Amherst, NY; 2012).
- CSI Paranormal, (Inquiry Press): Amherst, NY; 2012.
- Real or Fake, University Press of Kentucky: Lexington, KY; 2009.
- Adventures in Paranormal Investigation, University Press of Kentucky: Lexington, KY; 2007.
- Relics of the Christ. Lexington: University Press of Kentucky. 2007. ISBN 0-8131-2425-5.
- Lake Monster Mysteries: Investigating the World's Most Elusive Creatures, University Press of Kentucky: Lexington, KY; 2006; with co-author Benjamin Radford.
- Cronache del Misterio (Newton Compton editori: Rome, Italy; 2006).
- Secrets of the Sideshows (University Press of Kentucky: Lexington, KY; 2005).
- The Mystery Chronicles: More Real-Life X-Files (University Press of Kentucky: Lexington, KY; 2004).
- The Kentucky Mint Julep (University Press of Kentucky: Lexington, KY; 2003).
- Real-Life X-Files: Investigating the Paranormal (University Press of Kentucky: Lexington, KY; 2001).
- Investigating the Paranormal (Barnes & Noble Books: New York; 2004).
- Crime Science: Methods of Forensic Detection (University Press of Kentucky: Lexington, KY; 1999; with co-author John F. Fischer).
- The UFO Invasion: The Roswell Incident, Alien Abductions, and Government Coverups (Prometheus Books: Amherst, NY; 1997; co-edited with Kendrick Frazier and Barry Karr).
- The Outer Edge: Classic Investigations of the Paranormal (CSICOP: Amherst, NY; 1996, co-edited with Barry Karr and Tom Genoni).
- Detecting Forgery: Forensic Investigation of Documents (University Press of Kentucky: Lexington, KY; 1996, 2005).
- Entities: Angels, Spirits, Demons, and Other Alien Beings (Prometheus Books: Amherst, NY; 1995).
- Camera Clues: A Handbook for Photographic Investigation (University Press of Kentucky: Lexington, KY; 1994, 2005).
- Psychic Sleuths: ESP and Sensational Cases (Prometheus Books: Amherst, NY; 1994).
- Looking for a Miracle: Weeping Icons, Relics, Stigmata, Visions and Healing Cures (Prometheus Books: Amherst, NY; 1993, 1998).
- Mysterious Realms: Probing Paranormal, Historical, and Forensic Enigmas (Prometheus Books: Amherst, NY; 1992; with John F. Fischer).
- Missing Pieces: How to Investigate Ghosts, UFOs, Psychics, and Other Mysteries (Prometheus Books: Amherst, NY; 1992; with Robert A. Baker).
- Unsolved History: Investigating Mysteries of the Past, originally published as Ambrose Bierce is Missing and Other Historical Mysteries (University Press of Kentucky: Lexington, KY; 1992, 2005).
- Wonder-Workers! How They Perform the Impossible (Prometheus Books: Amherst, NY; 1991).
- Pen, Ink, and Evidence: A Study of Writing and Writing Materials for the Penman, Collector, and Document Detective (Oak Knoll Books: New Castle, DE; 1990, 2000, 2003).
- The Magic Detectives: Join Them in Solving Strange Mysteries (Prometheus Books: Amherst, NY; 1989).
- Secrets of the Supernatural: Investigating the World's Occult Mysteries (Prometheus Books: Amherst, NY; 1988, 1991; with John F. Fischer).
- Inquest on the Shroud of Turin: Latest Scientific Findings (Prometheus Books: Amherst, NY; 1983, 1998).
- Historical Document Consultant
- Timothy Davies, "Who Was Hannah Crafts?", Salon.com, 24 Apr 2002, accessed 27 Jul 2009
- Nickell, Joe (July/August 2008). "A Skeleton's Tale: The Origins of Modern Spiritualism". Skeptical Inquirer (Committee for Skeptical Inquiry) 32 (4): 20. The article is about the Fox sisters. He thanks his wife by name in the Acknowledgments.
- , Literary Detective persona, accessed 2 Dec, 2010
- , Folklorist persona, accessed 2 Dec, 2010
- Alistair Strachan (2007-04-19). "A Paranormal Investigator's Brush With Hollywood". Fortean Times. Retrieved 2012-04-14.
- "The Reaping", CSICOP
- "Loren Coleman on new Nessie Footage". YouTube. 2007-06-01. Retrieved 2012-04-14.
- "CNN - Joe Nickell and the Exorcist". YouTube. 2008-11-01. Retrieved 2012-04-14.
- Sullivan, Stephen D. (2008-09-24). "MONSTERQUEST: Lake Monsters of the North". Stephendsullivan.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2012-04-14.
- "Waiting for Ghosts: The many careers of Joe Nickell, paranormal investigator"
- "Audio of The 11th Annual Houdini Seance", CSICOP
- Skeptical Inquirer columnist Joe Nickell on Tour
- "IIG | The IIG Awards". Iigwest.com. 2010-08-21. Retrieved 2011-07-01.
- "31451 Joenickell (1999 CE10)". JPL Small-Body Database Browser. NASA. October 12, 2011. Retrieved October 31, 2011.