July 5, 1984 |
Antigo, WI, USA
|Height||6 ft 3 in (191 cm)|
|Weight||214 lb (97 kg; 15 st 4 lb)|
|NHL team (P)
Milwaukee Admirals (AHL)
Los Angeles Kings
Joseph J. Piskula (born July 5, 1984) is an American professional ice hockey defenceman who currently plays with the Milwaukee Admirals of the American Hockey League (AHL). He is under contract to the Nashville Predators of the National Hockey League (NHL) and has had brief stints with the Calgary Flames and with the Los Angeles Kings, with whom he signed as an undrafted free agent in 2007.
A native of Antigo, Wisconsin, of Croatian ancestry, Piskula played junior hockey with the Chicago Steel and Des Moines Buccaneers of the United States Hockey League (USHL). He was recruited to play with the Wisconsin Badgers hockey program, and was a member of the team for three seasons between 2004 and 2007. He appeared in 112 games for the Badgers and was given the Otto Breitenbach Award as the team's most improved player in 2005–06. An undrafted player, Piskula chose to forgo his senior year of eligibility by signing as a free agent with the Los Angeles Kings on March 21, 2007. He made his NHL debut two nights later, against the Chicago Blackhawks, and played in five games with Los Angeles at the end of the 2006–07 NHL season.
Piskula spent the following three seasons playing in the American Hockey League (AHL) with the Kings' affiliate, the Manchester Monarchs. He appeared in 189 games over that time, scoring 2 goals and 29 assists. As a free agent in 2010, he was offered a try-out with the Philadelphia Flyers, but ultimately signed a contract with the AHL's Abbotsford Heat. His play in Abbotsford during the 2010–11 season impressed the Heat's parent club, leading the Calgary Flames to sign him to an NHL two-way contract on July 1, 2011. He spent the majority of the season with Abbotsford, but earned a recall to Calgary on December 1, 2011. He appeared in five games with the Flames before being returned to Abbotsford.
During the 2012–13 season whilst with the Abbotsford Heat, Piskula was traded by the Flames to the Nashville Predators in exchange for Brian McGrattan on February 28, 2013 and was reassigned to AHL affiliate, the Milwaukee Admirals.
|2002–03||Des Moines Buccaneers||USHL||32||2||6||8||18||4||0||1||1||4|
|2003–04||Des Moines Buccaneers||USHL||58||2||4||6||68||3||0||1||1||0|
|2004–05||U. of Wisconsin–Madison||WCHA||40||0||6||6||24||—||—||—||—||—|
|2005–06||U. of Wisconsin–Madison||WCHA||34||2||9||11||22||—||—||—||—||—|
|2006–07||U. of Wisconsin–Madison||WCHA||38||1||4||5||34||—||—||—||—||—|
|2006–07||Los Angeles Kings||NHL||5||0||0||0||6||—||—||—||—||—|
- "'CRONUCKSI' ĆE PREPLAVITI LEDENU Stižu Drazenovic, Dekanich, Murovich, Piskula, Gazdic..." (in Croatian). Jutarnji list. 2013-04-28. Retrieved 2013-04-28.
- "Joe Piskula profile". Hockey Hall of Fame. Retrieved 2012-03-18.
- "Off to the pros". Badgernation.com. 2007-03-22. Retrieved 2012-03-18.
- "Joe Piskula profile". American Hockey League. Retrieved 2012-03-18.
- "Flyers reduce training camp roster". Philadelphia Flyers Hockey Club. 2010-09-26. Retrieved 2012-03-18.
- "Heat standouts Bancks, Piskula, Laing sign new contracts". Abbotsford News. 2011-07-01. Retrieved 2012-03-18.
- Tucker, Cam (2011-12-01). "Flames recall Abbotsford Heat defenceman Joe Piskula". Abbotsford Times. Retrieved 2012-03-12.
- "Wilson recalled by Flames, Piskula returns to Heat". Abbotsford News. 2011-12-30. Retrieved 2012-03-18.
- "Milwaukee add Wisconsin native in trade". American Hockey League. 2013-02-28. Retrieved 2013-02-28.
- "Piskula named Admirals Captain". Milwaukee Admirals. 2014-10-09. Retrieved 2014-10-09.
- Joe Piskula's career statistics at EliteProspects.com
- Joe Piskula's career statistics at The Internet Hockey Database