Redner has been engaged in legal battles with the Tampa City Council, which has tried to place restrictions on the strip club industry for 25 years. Mons Venus and Redner have filed suits that have reached the Supreme Court and have become case law in many court cases. Redner ran for County Commissioner as an independent in 2004. During that run Redner had a chair thrown at him on the Bleepin Truth LIVE in a debate with a Republican pundit. The clip from the show was carried on 300 TV stations across the country, giving Redner a tremendous boost in name recognition in the process. Redner's website, The Voice of Freedom, was initially created to inform citizens of his ongoing legal battles with the government, but later expanded to cover other First Amendment issues. He is a host of a weekly, live call-in TV program entitled First Freedom TV on Tampa Bay Community Network (TBCN.org), a local Tampa Bay area Public, educational, and government access (PEG) cable tv channel.
In a federal lawsuit filed against Hillsborough County commissioners after they banned the county itself from recognizing gay pride displays, Redner included the statement that he is gay. In an earlier version of the same suit Redner, did not mention his sexual orientation and had previously never mentioned it publicly. His fight against the ordinance has pitted him against local politician Ronda Storms on many occasions.
On March 6, 2007, Redner garnered the number two spot in a six-person race for Tampa City Council, District 1, and faced the incumbent chairperson in a runoff March 27, 2007. Joe Redner lost the election gaining 44% of the vote.
- Zink, Janet (March 25, 2007), "He's the ultimate outsider", St. Petersburg Times, retrieved 2007-10-23
- "Does nude-club king's cash come dressed like the rest?". Council for American-Islamic Relations. Archived from the original on 2007-10-23. Retrieved 2006-11-12.
- "Announcement of film of strip club owner/freedom fighter Joe Redner". Florida State University Film School. Archived from the original on 2004-07-10. Retrieved 2006-11-12.
- "Hillsborough bans county from recognizing gay pride", St. Petersburg Times, June 16, 2006, retrieved 2007-03-28
- Liberto, Jennifer; George, Justin (December 13, 2005), "'Out-front' and now, openly, he's out", St. Petersburg Times, retrieved 2007-10-23
- "Adult club owner wins big in eminent domain case". Tampa Bay Business Journal. 2005-08-08. Retrieved 2006-11-12.
- "Miller fights back challenge by Redner". March 28, 2007. Retrieved 2007-03-28.
- "On my television program one night in May 2004, I deviated from my normal format which is to take live phone calls from viewers, giving them Biblical counsel for their problems and praying for them. I had as my guest Joe Redner, a Tampa businessman who is also the long-time owner of a famous strip club in Tampa. My purpose for having Joe on my program was to allow him to share his beliefs and why he feels owning and operating an adult establishment is acceptable. I am well aware that Joe has been debating this issue legally and morally for over 30 years and has his "talking points" down pat. I am also very aware that he views Christians as his enemy and the people who are "out to get him."" Live Prayer Daily Devotional for June 1 2005; Accessed 08-23-2007