Joe Thomas (actor)
Thomas at the 2012 BAFTA Television Awards in London, May 2012
28 October 1983
Chelmsford, Essex, England
|Alma mater||Pembroke College, Cambridge|
Joseph "Joe" Thomas (born 28 October 1983) is an English actor. He is best known for playing Simon Cooper in the E4 sitcom The Inbetweeners and Kingsley Owen in the Channel 4 comedy-drama series Fresh Meat.
Early life and education
Thomas was born in Chelmsford, Essex in the United Kingdom on 28 October 1983. He attended King Edward VI Grammar School as a teenager before proceeding to the Pembroke College at the University of Cambridge, where he read History.
At the University of Cambridge, Thomas was a member of the Footlights, alongside his Inbetweeners co-star Simon Bird. Bird and Thomas served as the President and the Secretary of the Footlights, respectively, in 2005–2006. However, of his education, he states, "I never really recovered from the fact that the lecturers weren't paid to be nice to me. Or that the carrot-and-stick thing that happened at school no longer occurred. If you do quite well, nobody's that bothered; and if you really f**k up, nobody's that bothered. It has to be from you and I was easily distracted". Nevertheless, Thomas graduated with a 2:1 degree in History in 2006.
Early acting career
After entering the performing arts via the Footlights, Thomas performed with fellow University of Cambridge students at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe in a production of All's Well That Ends Well directed by author Duncan Barrett.
After graduating from university, Thomas took to acting professional, and his parents have accepted and are proud of his choice of career.
Thomas' big break in television was his role as Simon Cooper in The Inbetweeners and its feature film The Inbetweeners Movie. Together with Bird and writing partner Sweet, they wrote Chickens, a satirical sketch about three conscientious objectors during World War I, which was a part of a proposed series, Comedy Showcase. It debuted in September 2011 and a full series was commissioned.
|2011||The Inbetweeners Movie||Simon Cooper|
|2011||A Trick of the Light||Joe||Voice
|2014||The Inbetweeners Movie 2||Simon Cooper|
|2008–2010||The Inbetweeners||Simon Cooper|
|2011||Comedy Showcase||George||Episode: "Chicken"|
|2012||Threesome||Teacher||Episode: "Back to School"|
- The Inbetweeners - Sitcom - British Comedy Guide
- Leggett, Tabatha (16 November 2010). "Tab Interview: Joe Thomas". The Tab.
- Cambridge Footlights Presents: Niceties
- "Footlights: Alumni 2000–2009". Cambridge Footlights.
- Webb, Claire (9 October 2012). "Fresh Meat: Joe Thomas - I was quite similar to Kingsley at university". Radio Times.
- Webb, Claire. "What's next for an Inbetweener". BBC Nordic.
- "Chickens: What the Inbetweeners did next". guardian.co.uk. 29 August 2011.
- "Association of Cambridge Theatre Societies". camdram.net. 2004-08-21. Retrieved 2012-04-12.
- Webb, Claire (22 August 2013). "Chickens: Inbetweeners Simon Bird and Joe Thomas on playing overgrown schoolboys - again". Radio Times.
- "Jonny Sweet: smell of success". independent.co.uk. 18 January 2011.