|Education||MBA, Stanford Graduate School of Business, 1985.
Masters in Hospital and Healthcare Administration, University of Iowa, 1976.
BA in Economic History, Lake Forest College, 1973.
|Occupation||CEO and Head Coach, Values Coach Inc.|
Tye is a former hospital administrator and public health activist. As director of emergency medical services for the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, he was active in regional EMS planning and was the first president of the Association of Air Medical Services between 1981 and 1983 (1, 2, 3, 4, 5). As a result of research he conducted while an MBA student at the Stanford Graduate School of Business, he founded STAT (Stop Teenage Addiction to Tobacco) in 1986. He played an important role in bringing about public policy changes to stop the illegal sale of tobacco to minors (6, 7) and raise public awareness of unethical cigarette advertising (8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13). He testified before congressional hearings on cigarette product placement in movies made for children and teens and was instrumental in killing the RJ Reynolds publication “Moviegoer,” a cigarette advertisement masquerading as a magazine that was given away free in movie theaters. The tobacco industry found STAT sufficiently threatening that they sent spies to the organization’s annual conferences, where they secretly and illegally tape-recorded closed sessions (14). STAT was presented the Award for Excellence for Adolescent Tobacco Prevention by the American Medical Association in 1990. Tye’s work was featured in the Pulitzer Prize winning book “Ashes to Ashes” by Richard Kluger (15).
Tye founded Values Coach in 1995. He teaches the company’s 60-module course on “The Twelve Core Action Values” and speaks on values-based leadership and cultural transformation. He is the author or coauthor of eleven books, the best known of which is “Never Fear, Never Quit” (16). His most recent book is “The Florence Prescription: From Accountability to Ownership” with his Values Coach colleague Dick Schwab (17). He is a frequent speaker and consultant for hospitals, corporations, government and education agencies, and professional associations.
- Tye, Joe (2010), Best Practices in Hospital Cultural Transformation (work in progress)
- Tye, Joe (2010), All Hands on Deck: 8 Essential Lessons for Building a Culture of Ownership, John Wiley & Sons
- Tye, Joe (2009), The Florence Prescription: From Accountability to Ownership, Paradox 21 Press
- Tye, Joe (2009), Your Dreams Are Too Small, Paradox 21 Press
- Tye, Joe (2008), The Winning the War with Yourself Field Manual, Paradox 21 Press
- Tye, Joe (2007), The Twelve Core Action Values Workbook, Paradox 21 Press
- Tye, Joe (2005), The Healing Tree: A Mermaid, A Poet, and A Miracle, Paradox 21 Press
- Tye, Joe (2004), Leadership Lessons from The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, Paradox 21 Press
- Tye, Joe (1997), Personal Best: 1001 Great Career Ideas, John Wiley & Sons
- Tye, Joe (1997), Never Fear, Never Quit: A Story of Courage and Perseverance, Dell
- Tye, Joe (1996), Staying on Top When the World’s Upside Down, Paradox 21 Press
- The Twelve Core Action Values – a 60-part video and newsletter series
- True Wealth: Your Values and Your Money – 11 full-length audio CDs and one document resource CD on values-based approaches to personal finance
- Spark Your Success – album of 8 audio CDs on personal and professional achievement