|San Diego Padres – No. 43|
January 21, 1990 |
|Bats: Right||Throws: Right|
|April 14, 2012 for the San Diego Padres|
(through 2012 season)
|Earned run average||4.55|
Wieland was named Nevada State Player of the Year by the Las Vegas Review-Journal and the Reno Gazette-Journal while at Bishop Manogue High School in Reno, Nevada. He committed to playing college baseball at San Diego State.
Draft and Minors
Wieland was drafted by the Texas Rangers in the fourth round of the 2008 Major League Baseball Draft. He signed with the Rangers and did not play for San Diego State. On July 29, 2011, while pitching for the Frisco RoughRiders, Wieland threw a no-hitter against the San Antonio Missions, the Padres Double-A affiliate.
San Diego Padres (2012-present)
Wieland began the 2013 season on the 60-day disabled list as he was still recovering from the Tommy John surgery he previously had. He began a throwing program at around mid-season but it was initially slowed due to some triceps strains.
Wieland throws from a three quarters angle with a repeatable delivery, Wieland throws four pitches: a two seam and four seam fastball, a curveball and a rare changeup.
- "Joe Wieland Stats, Bio, Photos, Highlights". MiLB.com. Retrieved May 6, 2012.
- Center, Bill (July 31, 2011). "Padres trade Adams, Ludwick; keep Bell, Harang". The San Diego Union-Tribune. Archived from the original on August 1, 2011.
- Rangers prospect Joe Wieland tosses no-hitter for Double-A Frisco
- Rangers add Mike Adams for Wieland, Erlin
- Padres deal Mike Adams to Rangers
- Call-up profile: Joe Wieland, SP
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)