Joe Willis (soccer)
|Full name||Joseph Willis|
|Date of birth||August 10, 1988|
|Place of birth||St. Louis, Missouri, United States|
|Height||6 ft 5 in (1.96 m)|
(on loan from D.C. United)
|2009–2010||Real Colorado Foxes||7||(0)|
|2014||→ Richmond Kickers (loan)||4||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of June 10, 2014.
† Appearances (Goals).
Willis played highschool soccer for Chaminade College Preparatory in St. Louis, MO. Willis played soccer for University of Denver from 2006 to 2010, starting from 2008 to 2010. He was named the team's Most Valuable Player in 2008, and was named All-MPSF from 2008 to 2010. While at University of Denver, he also played for the USL Premier Development League Real Colorado Foxes.
Willis was selected by D.C. United with the 50th pick in the 2011 MLS SuperDraft. He signed a contract with the team on 16 March 2011. He made his professional debut at RFK Stadium August 13, 2011 and recorded his first clean sheet in a 4-0 victory over the Vancouver Whitecaps, a performance that earned him Man of the Match honors. On 8 November 2012, Willis came on as a substitute in a MLS Playoff match against New York Red Bulls after first choice goalkeeper Bill Hamid had received a red card. He denied Kenny Cooper from the spot on the striker's second attempt (the first penalty kick that was successfully converted by Cooper was ordered to be retaken due to an infringement on the part of Cooper's teammates) and managed to keep a clean sheet to help his team to a decisive 1:0 win, which allowed it to progress to the next round.
- "Joe Willis". University of Denver. Retrieved 1 April 2011.
- "Joe Willis". Major League Soccer. Retrieved 1 April 2011.
- "D.C. United signs goalkeeper Joe Willis". DC United. Retrieved 1 April 2011.
- Haydon, John. "D.C. United signs goalkeeper Joe Willis". Washington Post. Retrieved 1 April 2011.
- Shatzer, Martin. "D.C. United 4, Vancouver Whitecaps 0 - Match Review & Player Ratings". Black and Red United. Retrieved 25 November 2012.
- Moore, Robert. "Joe Willis and Nick DeLeon Play Heroes as DC Advance to East Finals". Total MLS. Retrieved 25 November 2012.