Joe Wolfe Field
|Location||State Street, North Adams, Massachusetts, USA|
|Record attendance||6,714 (July 4, 2006 SteepleCats vs. Holyoke Giants)|
|Field size||325 feet (LF)
358 feet (LCF)
385 feet (CF)
358 feet (RCF)
325 feet (RF)
|North Adams SteepleCats (NECBL) (2002–present)
MCLA Trailblazers baseball (NCAA DIII MASCAC) (2012)
Drury High School and Charles H. McCann Technical High School baseball teams
Joe Wolfe Field is a baseball field in North Adams, Massachusetts, USA. The field is home to the North Adams SteepleCats of the New England Collegiate Baseball League, a collegiate summer baseball league based in New England. The park was built in 1986, with the SteepleCats first utilizing the facility at their inception in the 2002 NECBL season. It has a seated capacity of 1,800 spectators, with additional seating and standing areas located down either foul line. The dimensions of the field are 325 ft. down the lines, 358 ft. in the gaps, and 385 ft. in dead center field. The park faces south in the Noel Field Athletic Complex. The field is lighted for night play with 8 light poles.
In 2012, the Division III MCLA Trailblazers baseball team of the nearby Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts played three home games at Joe Wolfe Field. The facility is also used by the baseball teams of Drury High School and Charles H. McCann Technical High School, both located in North Adams. Joe Wolfe Field also hosts other youth sports leagues.
Joe Wolfe Field was built in 1986 on the site of Noel Field. Noel had served as North Adams' main baseball venue for decades, but its grandstand and playing surface had become outdated. In building Joe Wolfe, a new grandstand and lighting structures were added, and the field itself was renovated.
Then-mayor of North Adams John Barrett III and local sports figure Joe Wolfe were key to fundraising for and building the park. When Wolfe died in November 1986, shortly after the field's construction, Barrett and others involved in the development decided to name the field after Joe Wolfe. In addition to his involvement in the field's construction, Wolfe played semi-professional baseball, coached youth teams, and worked in local sports organizations.
In 2005, the field was renovated. An electronic scoreboard and concession stand were added, and the backstop was improved.
The following is a list of North Adams SteepleCats attendance figures at Joe Wolfe Field dating back to the team's inception in the 2002 season.
|Season||Game Avg.||Season Total||Lge. Rk.|
- About the SteepleCats URL accessed November 30, 2008
- Zmudzien, Rick. "Joe Wolfe Field: Home of the SteepleCats". SteepleCats.com. Archived from the original on 2011-07-25. Retrieved July 25, 2011.
- Joe Wolfe Field gallery URL accessed December 13, 2008
- Puleri, Jeffrey (March 20, 2012). "MCLA Baseball Opens at Joe Wolfe Field". iBerkshires. Archived from the original on 2012-04-08. Retrieved April 9, 2012.
MCLA has partnered with the city of North Adams to play at Joe Wolfe Field in the heart of the city.
- NECBL Record Book at necbl.com, URL accessed May 2, 2010. Archived May 2, 2010
- South All Stars vs North All Stars (Jul 22, 2007) at necbl.com, URL accessed May 2, 2010. Archived May 2, 2010
- http://www.necbl.com/1webstats/Confstat.htm NECBL team statistics archive; URL accessed December 21, 2008
- http://www.necbl.com/2003webstats/confstat.HTM NECBL team statistics archive, URL accessed December 21, 2008
- http://www.necbl.com/2004webstats/confstat.HTM NECBL team statistics archive, URL accessed December 22, 2008
- http://www.necbl.com/2005webstats/confstat.HTM NECBL team statistics archive, URL accessed December 27, 2008
- http://www.necbl.com/2006webstats/confstat.HTM NECBL team statistics archive, URL accessed December 27, 2008
- http://www.necbl.com/2007webstats/pd.htm#team.gms NECBL team statistics archive, URL accessed December 20, 2008
- http://www.necbl.com/2008webstats/confstat.HTM NECBL team statistics archive, URL accessed December 27, 2008
- Team Statistics 2009 at necbl.com, URL accessed August 1, 2009
- Team Statistics 2010 at necbl.com, URL accessed June 17, 2011
- "2011 NECBL Season – Attendance". NECBL.com. Archived from the original on February 15, 2012. Retrieved February 15, 2012.
- "2012 NECBL Season – Attendance". NECBL.com. Archived from the original on 2012-08-05. Retrieved August 5, 2012.