||It has been suggested that Aggregate Nutrient Density Index be merged into this article. (Discuss) Proposed since August 2014.|
Joel Fuhrman, May 2011.
December 2, 1953 |
New York, New York, United States
|Occupation||Family physician, author|
Joel Fuhrman, (born December 2, 1953), is an American author, speaker and media personality who advocates a micronutrient-rich diet.
A former skater, after a serious injury he became a physician and specialized in nutrition-based treatments for obesity and chronic disease as well as promoting the dietary regime he followed that he says cured his injury. He has written books promoting his dietary theories and sells a line of nutrition related products.
Life and career
Joel Fuhrman was born in New York, New York on December 2, 1953. He was a competitor in the amateur figure skating circuit. He was a member of the US World Figure Skating Team and placed second in the US National Pairs Championship in 1973. He came in 3rd place at the 1976 World Professional Pairs Skating Championship in Jaca, Spain skating with Gale Fuhrman. He graduated from the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine. Fuhrman is married and has four children.
The Second Edition of Eat to Live reached the New York Times Best Seller list in June, 2011; Super Immunity reached the New York Times Best Seller list in October 2012; The End of Diabetes reached the New York Times Best Seller list in January 2013. He has appeared on several radio and television shows.[non-primary source needed][non-primary source needed] Fuhrman coined the word "nutritarian" to label people who adopt a micronutrient-rich diet style. He created what he calls the Health Equation: Health = Nutrients/Calories (abbreviated as H = N/C) and advocates eating " at least one pound of raw vegetables and another pound of cooked ones each day, the equivalent of a throw-pillow-size bag of spinach and a very large bowl of steamed broccoli.".
Peter Lipson, a physician and writer on alternative medicine, has been heavily critical of Fuhrman's health equation, writing that since its terms cannot be quanitified, it is "nothing more than a parlor trick".
He has heavily marketed his products. Fuhrman is featured in the documentaries A Sacred Duty (2007), Simply Raw: Reversing Diabetes in 30 Days (2009), Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead (2010)[non-primary source needed] and Vegucated (2010). In 2011, Fuhrman launched 3 Steps to Incredible Health!, a sixty-minute PBS pledge program that addresses the crisis of obesity and chronic disease in America. In 2012, Fuhrman launched his second PBS pledge program, entitled The Immunity Solution, which discusses the effect of dietary habits on the immune system and risk of cancer. Fuhrman launched a third PBS pledge program, End Dieting Forever in 2014, which addresses the problems and potential dangers associated with fad weight-loss diets, and discusses a high-nutrient diet as a more healthful choice. His infomercials have " become a staple during the self-improvement bloc of PBS pledge drives."
In the October 2012 edition of Men's Journal, Mark Adams stated that Fuhrman "preaches something closer to fruitarianism or Christian Science than to conventional medical wisdom". Adams also reported that Fuhrman believes that the flu vaccine "isn't effective at all".
- The End of Dieting: How to Live for Life. - ISBN 978-0062249326 (HarperOne; March 25, 2014)
- The Eat to Live Cookbook: 200 Delicious Nutrient-Rich Recipes for Fast and Sustained Weight Loss, Reversing Disease, and Lifelong Health. - ISBN 978-0062286703 (HarperOne; October 8, 2013)
- The End of Diabetes: The Eat to Live Plan to Prevent and Reverse Diabetes (hardcover) - ISBN 978-0-06-221997-8 (HarperOne; December 26, 2012)
- Super Immunity: The Essential Nutrition Guide for Boosting Your Body's Defenses to Live Longer, Stronger, and Disease Free (hardcover) - ISBN 978-0-06-208063-9 (HarperOne; 1st edition Sep 20, 2011)
- Eat For Health: Lose Weight, Keep It Off, Look Younger, Live Longer (hardcover) - Volume 1 ISBN 0-9799667-2-8, Volume 2 ISBN 0-9799667-3-6, Gift of Health Press; First edition (April 1, 2008)
- Eat to Live: The Revolutionary Formula for Fast and Sustained Weight Loss (paperback) - ISBN 0-316-73550-7, (Little Brown & Company; 1st edition January 15, 2003)
- Disease Proof Your Child: Feeding Kids Right (hardcover) - ISBN 0-312-33805-8, Publisher: St. Martin's Press (August 1, 2005)
- Cholesterol Protection for Life (paperback) - ISBN 0-9744633-1-0, Publisher: Gift of Health Press (September 15, 2004)
- Fasting & Eating for Health: A Medical Doctor's Program for Conquering Disease (paperback) - ISBN 0-312-18719-X, Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin (April 15, 1998)
- 3 Steps To Incredible Health! set (PBS, 2011)
- Dr. Fuhrman's Immersion Excursion
- Osteoporosis Protection for Life
- Dr. Fuhrman’s Secrets to Healthy Cooking
- Eating Like A Nutritarian (2011)
- Mark Adams (Oct 2012). "Joel Fuhrman: The Doctor Is Out There". Men's Journal. Retrieved 23 March 2014.
- "World Professional Figure Skating Championships (Jaca, Spain)". Retrieved 19 Dec 2012.
- Living the Life Show with Carolyn Castleberry on Christian Broadcasting Network (CBN)[unreliable source?]
- The Dr. Oz Show[dead link]
- Lipson, Peter (9 September 2010). "Your disease, your fault". Science-Based Medicine. Retrieved August 2014.
- "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead". DrFuhrman.com.
- Joel Fuhrman Nutritional Research Foundation. Accessed 19 Dec 2012.