Madden performing in Sydney, Australia in September 2012
|Birth name||Joel Rueben Combs|
|Born||March 11, 1979|
|Origin||Waldorf, Maryland, U.S.|
|Genres||Pop punk, punk rock, alternative rock, pop rock|
|Occupations||Musician, vocalist, songwriter, guitarist|
|Instruments||Vocals, guitar, keyboard, piano|
Joel Rueben Madden (born Joel Rueben Combs; March 11, 1979) is the lead vocalist and front-man for the American pop punk band Good Charlotte, as well as a record producer, actor, DJ, and UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador.
Madden was born Joel Rueben Combs in Waldorf, Maryland, the son of Robin Madden and Roger Combs. He has an identical twin Benji Madden, who plays lead guitar and sings backing vocals in their band, Good Charlotte. He also has an older brother named Josh Madden who also works in the music industry, and a younger sister named Sarah Madden. Madden attended La Plata High School.
In 1995, at the age of 16, Joel Madden, his brother Benji, and a friend started their own band. The band was short-lived and the Maddens eventually recruited fellow high schoolers Billy Martin, Paul Thomas and Aaron Escolopio to form their current band Good Charlotte. They took the name Good Charlotte from a children's book.
In the 2001 film Not Another Teen Movie, Joel and the other Good Charlotte members made a cameo as the band at the school's prom. He later had a cameo role in the 2004 film Fat Albert and in the 2006 film Material Girls with his brother Benji. He also had a guest appearance in the hit Nickelodeon musical comedy series The Naked Brothers Band, in which he joined the band for a performance.
Madden started a clothing line called MADE Clothing along with his brothers Benji and Josh. The line is now defunct. In early 2006 MADE Clothing became DCMA Collective. The line is owned by Joel, his brothers Benji Madden, Josh Madden, and friend Tal Cooperman. The Madden brothers also front a production team called Dead Executives.
In November 2007, Nicole Richie and Madden created The Richie Madden Children's Foundation. The charity will create and promote an online registry to inspire the purchases of items for moms and their families in need. He is also a UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador. In 2010, with his brother, Madden contributed to "We Are the World 25 for Haiti," a remake of the song "We Are the World" by USA for Africa, written by Michael Jackson and Lionel Richie.
On November 23, 2011, Madden was confirmed as one of the four vocal coaches in the first season of the Australian version of the reality singing competition The Voice. His brother, Benji Madden was later his mentor on the show. Joel continued on as a coach in season 2. Because of his commitments to The Voice Australia, he relocated to Sydney, Australia
Joel is featured in Blood on the Dance Floor's fifth studio album on the track "Incomplete and All Alone" released on June 19, 2012. The track was available for free download with pre-orders of the album.
In 2013, he provided songwriting and production assistance to Australian band, 5 Seconds of Summer, with their first album.
In July 2004, a 25-year-old Madden began dating teen idol Hilary Duff when she was 16. After a long period of tabloid speculation, Duff's mother Susan announced their relationship in a June 2005 interview for Seventeen magazine. In November 2006, Madden and Duff broke up.
Madden started dating Nicole Richie in December 2006. They have two children: daughter Harlow Winter Kate Richie Madden (born January 11, 2008) and son Sparrow James Midnight Madden (born September 9, 2009). The couple confirmed their engagement in February 2010, and married on December 11, 2010. Madden has residences in both Los Angeles, California and Sydney, Australia.
- Good Charlotte (2000)
- The Young and the Hopeless (2002)
- The Chronicles of Life and Death (2004)
- Good Morning Revival (2007)
- Greatest Remixes (2008)
- Cardiology (2010)
- Before, Volume 1 (2011)
|2013||"City Of Sin (Feat. Joel Madden)"||Alex Kunnari & Heikki L|
|2012||"Incomplete And All Alone (Feat. Joel Madden)"||Blood on the Dance Floor||(R)evolution|
|2011||"Lost (ft. Joel Madden)"||Chae Hawk|
|2010||"Auto-Tune the News #11 - Pure poppycock. (ft. Joel Madden)"||The Gregory Brothers|
|2009||"Sulla Mia Pelle"||Lost||Sospeso|
|2008||"Workin'"||Young Dre The Truth|
|"My Own Way"/"My Own Way" (Remix)||Three 6 Mafia||Last 2 Walk|
|"I'm the One"||Bizzy Bone||A Song for You|
|"LA Girls"||Mams Taylor|
|2007||"No More Cryin'"||J-Kwon|
|2005||"Tired"||Tommy Lee||Tommyland: The Ride|
|2004||"Are You Ready?"||Hazen Street||Hazen Street|
|"Jump"||N*E*R*D||Fly or Die|
|2002||"You Don't Mean Anything"||Simple Plan||No Pads, No Helmets...Just Balls|
- "Joel Madden". People. Retrieved 11 June 2013.
- "Good Charlotte Biography". Allmusic. 2007. Retrieved 2007-08-31.
- "Nicole Richie and Joel Madden Start Charity for Kids". US Magazine. 2007-11-17. Archived from the original on 2007-11-16. Retrieved 2007-11-17.
- "Judges announced for Aussie Voice". RTE.ie. 2011-11-23. Retrieved 23 November 2011.
- "BOTDF official website".[not specific enough to verify]
- "11th Annual IMA Judges". Independent Music Awards. Retrieved 2013-09-04.
- "DJ-kaksikko Alex Kunnari & Heikki L yhteistyössä Good Charlotten laulajan kanssa" [DJ duo Alex Kunnari & Heikki L in cooperation with Good Charlotte singer]. Sonymusic.fi (in Finnish). 2013-07-05. Retrieved April 2014.
- "Hilary Duff Main | All About Hilary Duff". Moviefone. 1987-09-28. Retrieved 2011-11-08.
- "How Hilary Found 'The Perfect Man'". ExtraTV. 2005-06-16. Archived from the original on 2006-08-13.
- "For The Record: Quick News On Raekwon, Jay-Z, Redman, Britney, Pharrell, Jeezy, Nick Lachey & More - Music, Celebrity, Artist News". MTV. 2006-11-29. Retrieved 2011-11-08.
- "Couples Watch". People. 2006-12-18.
- "Interview with Lionel & Nicole Richie". Larry King Live (CNN). 2009-05-28.
- "Nicole Richie & Joel Madden Welcome a Baby Boy". People. 2009-09-09.
- "Excited to Announce…". Nicolerichie.celebuzz.com. 2009-09-09. Archived from the original on 2009-09-12.
- "Nicole Richie and Joel Madden Wedding Draws Family, Friends – and an Elephant!". People. 2010-12-11.