|Joelle Anne Schmitz|
|Fields||Regulation (economic), Public/private interdependence, Transportation policy|
Mineta Transportation Institute
Transportation Research Board
Joelle Anne Schmitz is an American regulatory expert from Hartford, Connecticut, currently Senior Fellow, Mossavar-Rahmani Center for Business and Government, Harvard Kennedy School at Harvard University. Schmitz' subject area concern is the interdependence of business and government with a specific focus on the interrelation of regulation and industry. She has published and lectured on these topics in Asia, Europe, and across North America.
Schmitz was born in Hartford, Connecticut, and currently resides in Washington, DC and Cambridge, MA. She received a Masters in Public Policy from the Harvard Kennedy School in 1995, taking courses at the Harvard Law, Business and Graduate Schools. Upon graduating, Schmitz entered the private sector as a consultant, while providing recommendations to the lead negotiator for the US/EU trade negotiations which were, at the time, stimied on the basis of regulation.
In 2003, Schmitz became a Fulbright Scholar, consulting to the Canadian prime ministers office on issues of interprovincial and international trade, again stimied on the basis of regulation. The capstone of her efforts was an Ottawa hosted seminar for business and government officials from across Canada in November, 2005.
Schmitz has contributed recommendations within a variety of analytic positions at Fortune 200 companies and served as an industry and government consultant working closely with a broad spectrum of policy stakeholders in the Americas, Europe and Asia. In 2009, she co-hosted a much-needed national dialogue on regulation and transportation policy among government, academic, and business thought-leaders.
She currently co-sponsors the Harvard Kennedy School Transportation Study Group which hosts academic, industry, and legislative leaders in public policy community dialogues. A member of Transportation Research Board (TRB), American Economic Association (AEA), American Political Science Association (APSA), International Political Science Association (IRSA), Schmitz also contributes as an associate of the Mineta Transportation Institute.
Schmitz additionally serves on the Advisory Board of the Prague Institute of Urban Development, as a Charter member of Friends of Tuckerman Ravine, and an honorary lifetime member of the Fulbright Alumni Association.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Joelle Anne Schmitz.|
- Paving the Way: Academics, Government and Industry Convene at DU for Transportation Summit
- Fulbright Scholar: It's A Whole New World
- Regulatory Liberalization: A Means Toward Preference Homogenizing and Progressive Norms in the new Pacific Century
- Lessons for Canadian/US Regulatory Co-Operation
- 2008 Oberstar Forum on Transportation and Technology
- WMC Speaker Database
- Redefining Europe: Institutional Redress of the Democratic Deficit
- Globalization And Regulatory Competition: A Means For Constructive Outreach Or Destructive Antagonism Along Polarities of Longitude
- Trading Nations
- Fulbright Webpage
- Visiting Professor, Executive Business Administration, Beijing University
- Giant Slalom Recreational Racing