Joey Benin or Joey B. is a Filipino bassist, singer, composer music producer and musical arranger. He is best known as a former member of the band Side A and as the one who penned their hit single Forevermore.
Joey studied at UP college of music with a Major in Guitar and Minor in Piano. He is married to Eva Marie "Bing" Ledesma-Benin of 22 years; to whom the song Eva Marie was written for. They have four children: Boey, Jaco, Clara (of the song Clara's Eyes) and Sarah.
Jaco Benin, who inherited his father's talent in music, is a current member of a Filipino All-Male Teen Pop Group called A-Pop who performs on a weekly variety show of ABS-CBN called ASAP. He was a cast member on the now defunct shows on ABS-CBN called and Gimik 2010 and Shoutout!.
After leaving Side A Joey B is now a Haciendero, he currently tends a Fish Farm and develops a Natural Organic Farmland in Silay, Negros Occidental. Joey is also writing music for Tapulanga and Kalipay. Both foundations are helping less fortunate children find homes and get good education.
It was 1986 when bass player Joey Benin, or Joey B. as they would call him, joined Side A. He is the youngest member in the band and also the responsible for the song "Eva Marie", the single that would start Side A's recording career. With his boyish looks and mellow voice, he has attracted several female fans.
He left Side A permanently to spend more time with his family and their business. Joey B was replaced by Ned Esguerra former Freeverse member.
As a well known Filipino composer he has worked with such greats as Pido Lalimarmo, Janno Gibbs, Regine Velasquez, Martin Nievera, his own band Side A and renowned Japanese sound/recording engineer Koji Ishikawa.
Popular compositions and arrangements
- I Believe in Dreams - Janno Gibbs
- Forevermore - Side A's single won them the 1996 Awit Award for Best Performance by a Group for the third consecutive year and the Song of the Year.
- Only You - Regine Velasquez
- Munting Hiling - Inang Yaya movie
- Nanay - Inang Yaya theme song (finalist Gabi ng Parangal Famas Awards ’07)
- Forevermore (Forevermore movie)
- Got to Believe In Magic song arrangement (Got to Believe movie)
- Song Of The Year 1996 “Forevermore” Awit Awards
- Song Of The Year 1996 “Forevermore” Katha Music Awards
- Best Arrangement 1998 “Ugoy Ng Duyan” Awit Awards
- Metro Pop 1999 3rd place “Clara’s Eyes”
- Song Of The Year 1999 “Clara’s Eyes” Awit Awards
- Best Arrangement 1999 “Clara’s Eyes” Awit Awards