|Position||Power forward / Center|
December 16, 1983 |
|Listed height||6 ft 8 in (2.03 m)|
|Listed weight||268 lb (122 kg)|
|High school||Laurinburg Institute
(Laurinburg, North Carolina)
|NBA draft||2008 / Round: 2 / Pick: 33rd overall|
|Selected by the Portland Trail Blazers|
|Pro playing career||2008–present|
|2008–2010||→Rio Grande Valley Vipers|
|2012–2013||Royal Halı Gaziantep|
|Career highlights and awards|
Richard Elmer "Joey" Dorsey (born December 16, 1983) is an American professional basketball player who currently plays for the Houston Rockets of the National Basketball Association (NBA). He played his college basketball at the University of Memphis.
During the 2007 NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Tournament, as a member of the Memphis Tigers, Dorsey famously called Ohio State center Greg Oden "overrated as a big man", said that Oden "might be as good as Joey Dorsey", and labeled himself "Goliath" and Oden "the little man". The Buckeyes, however, defeated the Tigers 92–76; Oden had 17 points and 9 rebounds while Dorsey finished with no points and three rebounds, and did not attempt a field goal in the 19 minutes he spent on the court.
However, during his senior year Dorsey led the Memphis Tigers to the 2008 NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Tournament championship game with Derrick Rose and Chris Douglas-Roberts. The Tigers fell to Kansas 75–68 in overtime.
Dorsey was chosen as the 33rd overall pick in the 2008 NBA Draft by the Portland Trail Blazers. After the draft, he was traded to the Houston Rockets in exchange for the draft rights to the 25th pick, Nicolas Batum.
In the 2008–09 NBA season, Dorsey played in 3 games, scoring a total of 2 points, grabbing one rebound, and making one assist.
On February 5, 2010, after previously being called back up from the NBDL, Dorsey played a career-high 19 minutes and grabbed 12 rebounds.
On March 28, 2010, Dorsey was waived by the Kings.
In September 2011, Dorsey signed a on-year deal with Caja Laboral of Spain. On January 10, 2012, he parted ways with Caja Laboral. The next day, he signed with Olympiacos of Greece for the rest of the season. With Olympiacos, he won the 2011–12 Euroleague championship, as well as the 2011–12 Greek League championship. In August 2012, he re-signed with Olympiacos on a two-year deal. On September 12, 2012, during a preseason exhibition game against Dinamo Sassari, Dorsey ended up shattering a backboard with around two minutes left in the fourth quarter.
On November 7, 2012, Dorsey was released by Olympiacos, ending their relationship two weeks after he criticized the organization and stopped playing with the team.
Return to the NBA
On July 19, 2014, Dorsey signed with the Houston Rockets.
Awards and accomplishments
- Conference USA All-Freshman Team: (2004–05)
- Conference USA All-Tournament Team: (2006)
- All-Conference USA First-Team: (2006–07)
- Conference USA All-Defensive Team: (2006–07)
- Conference USA Defensive Player of the Year: (2006–07)
- Conference USA All-Tournament Team: (2007)
NBA career statistics
|GP||Games played||GS||Games started||MPG||Minutes per game|
|FG%||Field goal percentage||3P%||3-point field goal percentage||FT%||Free throw percentage|
|RPG||Rebounds per game||APG||Assists per game||SPG||Steals per game|
|BPG||Blocks per game||PPG||Points per game||Bold||Career high|
- ESPN - Dorsey can't back smack, Oden's heading to Atlanta - Columnist
- ESPN - Memphis vs. Ohio State - Recap - March 24, 2007
- Rockets call up Joey Dorsey from NBA Development League - ESPN
- Dorsey gives Rockets a pick-me-up
- "KINGS: KINGS ACQUIRE CARL LANDRY, JOEY DORSEY AND LARRY HUGHES". NBA.com. 2010-02-18. Retrieved 2010-02-19.
- "KINGS: Joey Dorsey Press Release". NBA.com. 2010-03-28. Retrieved 2010-03-30.
- "Raptors sign Dorsey for remainder of season". thescore.com. 2010-04-04. Retrieved 2010-04-04.
- CAJA LABORAL lands big man Dorsey
- Caja Laboral and Joey Dorsey part ways
- Olympiacos signs Joey Dorsey
- OLYMPIACOS re-signs Dorsey through 2014
- Ex-Rocket, King and Raptor Joey Dorsey shatters backboard with dunk during game for Greek team Olympiacos (VIDEO)
- Olympiacos officially releases Dorsey
- Dorsey signs with Gaziantep BB
- "FC Barcelona adds former Euroleague champ Joey Dorsey". Sportando.com. July 17, 2013. Retrieved July 17, 2013.
- "BARCELONA lands former champ Dorsey". Euroleague.net. July 17, 2013. Retrieved July 17, 2013.
- Rockets Add Depth to Roster with Signings
- Career statistics and player information from NBA.com
- ESPN.com Profile
- Euroleague.net Profile
- Eurobasket.com Profile
- TBLStat.net Profile
- ACB.com Profile (Spanish)
- NBADraft.net Profile