Espada in 2011.
|New York Yankees|
|Coach / Executive|
August 30, 1975 |
Santurce, Puerto Rico
|Bats: Right||Throws: Right|
Josue Espada (born August 30, 1975) is an American professional baseball player, coach, and manager. He was scheduled to manage the Jupiter Hammerheads of the Class A-Advanced Florida State League in 2014. Instead, Espada took a job with the New York Yankees as a special assistant to General Manager Brian Cashman. He previously was the third base coach for the Miami Marlins.
|Representing Puerto Rico|
|World Baseball Classic|
|Silver||2013 San Francisco||Team|
Espada attended the University of Mobile, where he played college baseball for the Mobile Rams. He was selected by the Oakland Athletics in the second round (45th overall) of the 1996 Major League Baseball Draft. He was selected in the 1998 Rule V Draft by the Minnesota Twins, but he failed to make the Twins roster and was returned to the Athletics.
Espada signed with the Marlins as a free agent in 2001, and was traded to the Colorado Rockies for Juan Acevedo. He later played for the Kansas City Royals, St. Louis Cardinals, Texas Rangers, and Tampa Bay Devil Rays organizations. He played until 2005, reaching Triple-A, but never playing in the majors.
After retiring, he joined the Florida Marlins' organization in 2006. He served as the hitting coach of the Greensboro Grasshoppers of the Class A South Atlantic League in 2006 and for the Jupiter Hammerheads of the Class A-Advanced Florida State League in 2007. Espada spent the next two seasons as the Marlins' minor league infield coordinator.
The Marlins named Espada as their third base coach prior to the 2010 season. He also coached for the Puerto Rican national baseball team during the 2013 World Baseball Classic. Espada served as the Marlins' third base coach through the 2013 season. After the season, he was reassigned to manage Jupiter, as the Marlins wanted Espada to gain managerial experience. Instead, Espada took a job with the New York Yankees as a special assistant to General Manager Brian Cashman.
- Rodriguez, Juan C. (November 5, 2013). "Miami Marlins: Yankees hire third-base coach Joe Espada as special assistant". Sun Sentinel. Retrieved February 15, 2014.
- Rodriguez, Juan C. (September 22, 2013). "Miami Marlins reassign third-base coach Joe Espada". Sun Sentinel. Retrieved October 8, 2013.
- "Overachieving Marlins third-base coach Joe Espada true to Puerto Rican roots | marlins.com: News". Miami.marlins.mlb.com. September 21, 2013. Retrieved October 8, 2013.
- "Twins Spring training notebook". Star Tribune. April 1, 1999. Retrieved October 8, 2013. (subscription required)
- Career statistics and player information from The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)
- MLB.com Biography