||The neutrality of this article is disputed. (September 2013)|
|Jogwa - The Awakening|
Theatrical poster for Jogwa
|Directed by||Rajiv Patil|
|Produced by||Shripal Morakhia|
|Screenplay by||Sanjay Krishnaji Patil|
|Music by||Ajay Atul|
|Edited by||Rajesh Rao|
|25 September 2009|
Jogwa - The Awakening (Marathi: जोगवा) is a National Film Award winning 2009 Marathi film directed by Rajiv Patil and produced under iDream Productions & Screenplay by Sanjay Krishnaji Patil. It stars Uupendra Limaye and Mukta Barve in the lead roles while Priya Berde, Vinay Apte, Sharvani Pillaai and Kishor Kadam essay supporting roles.
The film received five awards at the national film awards for 2008. National Film Award for Best Film on Social Issues, National Film Award for Best Actor for Uupendra Limaye, National Film Award for Best Music Direction for Ajay Atul, National Film Award for Best Male Playback Singer for Hariharan for song "Jeev Rangla" and National Film Award for Best Female Playback Singer for Shreya Ghoshal for the same song.
It contains strong romantic elements, that explores the life of a rural people from Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, and Maharashtra who are the devotees of Goddess Yellamma, known as "Jogtin" (female) and "Jogta" (male); are treated as sex slaves and viewed with a mixture of semi-respect and disdain. Rajiv Patil's substitution of hysterics for nuanced drama means the pic probably has a greater chance of getting its worthy message across to locals rather than fest auds, though Subcontinental sidebars may be roused by the fascinating subject.
Jogwa actually means alms given to a person, usually known as a Jogta or a Jogtin. They are forced by the society to give up everything and serve God. A jogta has to give up the fact of being a man and suppress all his desires. A jogtin is expected to give up herself, she cannot get married, have children or have a life of her own.
This tradition was followed in the rural areas in the ancient times and like any tradition was flexible enough for those in power to misuse it. It is known to be still followed in some villages in Karnataka. Jogwa is a love story between jogta played by Uupendra Limaye and jogtin played by Mukta Barve. The story is adapted and based on three novels - Chaundak and Bhandar Bhog by Dr Rajan Gavas and Darshan by Charuta Sagar.
A heart wrenching tale that exposes the hypocrisies and exploitations of an oppressed society harrowed by archaic traditions and plagued by superstitions in the heart of rural India, Jogwa is a poignant tale of one woman’s inspiring journey to break free from the shackles of discrimination, sexual oppression and servitude and find true happiness.
- Upendra Limaye as Tayappa
- Mukta Barve as Suli
- Kishor Kadam as Yamnya
- Vinay Apte as Basappa
- Anand Alkunte as Mharatya
Film is already internationally acclaimed, praised by critics and audience alike and won awards like Best Director Award, three prominent awards, 12 nominations in various categories at the Zee Gaurav Award 2009 along with 13 nominations for depiction of culture and society and First Special Jury Award and Audience Choice Award at the recently concluded Pune International Film Festival is Jogwa.
|Soundtrack album by Ajay Atul|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|"Man Ranaat Gela Ga"||Shreya Ghoshal||Mukta Barve|
|"Lallati Bhandaar"||Ajay Gogavale||Upendra Limaye, Mukta Barve and others|
|"Jeev Dangla"||Hariharan and Shreya Ghoshal||Upendra Limaye and Mukta Barve
Both singers won National Film Award 2010 for the song.
|"Harinichya Daarat"||Anand Shinde||Upendra Limaye and Mukta Barve|
- Got 37 Awards out of 60 Nominations before its commercial release.
- Zee Gaurav Award 2009 Got 12 Nominations.
- Maharashtra State Government Awards for Best Film, Best Director, Best Actor & Best Actress.
- V. Shantaram Awards for Best Film.
- Sanskruti Kala Darpan Awards for Best Film.
- Maharashtra Times Awards for Best Film.
- International Film Festival,Pune Awards For Best Film.
- National Film Award for Best Film on Social Issues, National Film Award for Best Actor for Upendra Limaye, National Film Award for Best Music Direction for Ajay Atul, National Film Award for Best Male Playback Singer for Hariharan for song "Jeev Dangla" and National Film Award for Best Female Playback Singer for Shreya Ghoshal for the same song.
- Marathi International Film & Theater Awards- Best lyricist - Sanjay Patil
- Marathi International Film & Theater Awards- Best Cinematography - Sanjay Jadhav
- "57th National Film Awards" (PDF).