Johan's Ark, Ark van Noach, or Ark van Johan is a Noah's Ark-themed mobile structure built by Dutch creationist Johan Huibers. There is a small and a large version. The small version is a half size ship modeled after the biblical description of Noah's Ark.
The Bible reports Noah was commanded to build an ark having a length of 300 cubits, a width of 50 cubits, and a height of 30 cubits. Johan's Ark is half the length of that given in the Bible, 150 cubits or 68.5 metres, 30 cubits high and 20 cubits wide. Huibers built the structure in the river port of Schagen, 45 km north of Amsterdam, taking one and a half years. In 2007 he opened the doors to visitors. After a few months the structure was towed by tugboat through canals in the Netherlands and moored in the harbours of Rotterdam and Arnhem.
While the Bible specified that the Ark had to be built from the unknown gopher wood, the interpretation is a steel frame skinned with American Cedar and Pine and built on top of a steel barge. The Ark contains models of various animals, and other displays. Huibers spent more than €1 million on the project.
A full-sized (137 m / 450 ft) version is in Dordrecht, open to the public. This Ark is carried on a platform made up of 25 LASH barges and has a coaster's seaworthiness license. The new Ark is partly financed by income from the first Ark as well as donations and loans.
It features many animal models, including cows, penguins, a crocodile, and a giraffe. It has been approved to allow 3,000 visitors a day.
There are plans to move it to another location elsewhere in the Netherlands or abroad.
- Charter, David (1 May 2007). "Crowds flock to Johan's Ark". The Australian.
- Keeris, Rob (30 April 2007). "Worried about rising seas levels? Dutchman builds working replica of Noah's Ark". USA Today.
- Huibers, Johan (2012). "About Johan's Ark".[self-published source?]
- Editor (29 December 2009). "Noahs Ark is to be rebuilt in Dordrecht" (in Dutch). Dordrecht.net.
- Associated Press – 2 hrs 42 mins ago. "Dutchman launches life-sized replica of Noah's Ark - Yahoo! News". News.yahoo.com. Retrieved 2012-12-10.
- Official website
- Video of ark and Huibers
- BBC Article about the Ark
- Associated Press Article about the Ark
- The Guardian, Article about the Ark
- The Australian, Article about the Ark
- Another Article about the Ark, in USA Today