The Bible reports Noah was commanded to build an ark having a length of 300 cubits, a width of 50 cubits, and a height of 30 cubits.[not in citation given] Johan's Ark is half the length of that given in the Bible, 150 cubits or 68.5 metres, 30 cubits high and 20 cubits wide. Huibers built the structure in the river port of Schagen, 45 km north of Amsterdam, taking one and a half years. In 2007 he opened the doors to visitors. After a few months the structure was towed by tugboat through canals in the Netherlands and moored in the harbours of Rotterdam and Arnhem.[not in citation given]
While the Bible specified that the Ark had to be built from the unknown gopher wood, the interpretation is a steel frame skinned with American Cedar and Pine and built on top of a steel barge. The Ark contains models of various animals, and other displays. Huibers spent more than €1 million on the project.[not in citation given]
A full-sized (137 m / 450 ft) version is in Dordrecht, open to the public.[not in citation given] This ark is carried on a platform made up of 25 LASH barges and has a coaster's seaworthiness license. The new ark is partly financed by income from the first ark as well as donations and loans.
There are plans to move it to another location elsewhere in the Netherlands or abroad.
- Moye, David (2015). "Noah's Ark Replica Made By Johan Huibers Opens Doors In Dordrecht, Netherlands". huffingtonpost.com. Retrieved 28 April 2015.
- Charter, David (1 May 2007). "Crowds flock to Johan's Ark". The Australian.
- Keeris, Rob (30 April 2007). "Worried about rising seas levels? Dutchman builds working replica of Noah's Ark". USA Today.
- Huibers, Johan (2012). "About Johan's Ark".[self-published source?]
- Editor (29 December 2009). "Noahs Ark is to be rebuilt in Dordrecht" (in Dutch). Dordrecht.net.
- Associated Press – 2 hrs 42 mins ago. "Dutchman launches life-sized replica of Noah's Ark - Yahoo! News". News.yahoo.com. Retrieved 2012-12-10.
- Official website
- Video of ark and Huibers
- BBC Article about the Ark
- Associated Press Article about the Ark
- The Guardian, Article about the Ark
- The Australian, Article about the Ark
- Another Article about the Ark, in USA Today