Tschopp at the 2006 Deutschland Tour.
|Full name||Johann Tschopp|
1 July 1982 |
|Height||1.75 m (5 ft 9 in)|
|Weight||62 kg (137 lb)|
|Current team||IAM Cycling|
|Rider type||Climbing specialist|
BMC Racing Team
|National Mountain Bike Marathon Championships (2005)
Giro d'Italia 1 stage
Tour of Utah (2012)
|Infobox last updated on
4 May 2014
Johann Tschopp (born 1 July 1982 in Sierre) is a Swiss professional road bicycle racer for UCI Professional Continental Team IAM Cycling. He has been a professional since 2004, competing with the Phonak, Bouygues Télécom and BMC Racing Team squads, during which time he has raced twice in the Giro d'Italia. He is an especially good climber since he is lightweight (1.75 m, 60 kg) and his training environment is mainly mountainous. He has already a quite important record in cyclo-cross and mountain bike marathon.
In August 2012, Tschopp won the Tour of Utah's overall classification thanks to his victorious performance on the queen stage of the race, the fifth one. He got out of the bunch on the lower slopes of the last climb leading to the Snowbird ski resort, passed all the scattered breakaway riders and crossed the uphill finish with an advantage of 43 seconds on his nearest pursuer. This ride netted him the leader's jersey previously worn by Garmin-Sharp rider Christian Vande Velde. Tschopp and his teammates managed to hold on to the general classification lead on the last trial, stage 6, which was another mountainous affair, and celebrated the victory.
Tschopp left BMC Racing Team at the end of the 2012 season, and joined a new team from his native country, the IAM Cycling team for the 2013 season. In the Tour of Oman, he took the sixth place in the general classification of a field that included the likes of Chris Froome, Alberto Contador and Joaquim Rodríguez, who finished ahead of him. In Paris–Nice, Tschopp won the mountains classification jersey thanks to his participation in numerous breakaways. He had a commanding lead at 64 points, 40 points more than his closest rival.
In November 2014 Tschopp announced that he would retire from road racing to return to mountain biking in 2015.
- 2nd National Mountain Biking Championships
- 2nd Sierre–Loye
- 3rd National Cyclo-Cross Championships
- 2nd Overall Österreich-Rundfahrt
- 5th Overall Tour de l'Ain
- 5th Overall Tropicale Amissa Bongo
- 1st Stage 4
- 5th Overall Tour de Langkawi
- 1st Stage 20 Giro d'Italia
- 1st Overall Tour of Utah
- 1st Stage 5
- 3rd Overall Paris–Corrèze
- 1st Mountains classification Paris–Nice
- 2nd Trofeo Matteotti
- 6th Overall Tour of Oman
- 9th Overall Critérium International
- 9th Overall Glava Tour of Norway
- 1st Mountains classification Tour de Romandie
- 9th Overall Tour of Oman
Grand Tour general classification results timeline
WD = Withdrew; In Progress = IP
- Mignot, Alexandre (9 August 2012). "Tschopp et Rasch signent chez IAM Cycling" [Tschopp and Rasch sign with IAM Cycling]. Cyclism'Actu (in French) (Swar-Agency). Retrieved 11 August 2012.
- Pat Malach (13 August 2012). "Tschopp takes the stage and overall lead in Snowbird". Cycling News (FuturePublishing Limited). Retrieved 13 August 2012.
- Kyle Moore (12 August 2012). "Leipheimer solos to Tour of Utah stage six, Tschopp hangs on to the overall". Velo Nation (Velo Nation LLC). Retrieved 13 August 2012.
- "2013 Tour of Oman results, stage 6". VeloNews (Competitor Group, Inc.). 16 February 2013. Retrieved 10 May 2013.
- "Paris-Nice 2013: Sylvain Chavanel wins the stage in Nice in the sprint". Velo Wire (Thomas Vergouwen). 9 March 2013. Retrieved 11 May 2013.
- "Tschopp switches from road to mountain bike in 2015". cyclingnews.com. 20 November 2014. Retrieved 24 November 2014.