||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2012)|
Linstead performing live in Bahrain, 12 April 2007
|Also known as||Sevaji|
|Born||Toronto, Ontario, Canada|
|Origin||Sosúa, Dominican Republic|
|Genres||New Flamenco, Instrumental, Latin, World, New-age, Jazz, Spanish Guitar, Tropical|
|Occupation(s)||Musician, Guitarist, Composer, Spiritual teacher|
|Labels||Real Music, Earthscape Media, Gemini Sun Records|
|Associated acts||Nicholas Gunn, David Arkenstone, Loren Gold|
Johannes Linstead (also records under the name Sevaji) is an award-winning Canadian guitarist and instrumentalist who fuses virtuoso Spanish-style guitar with Afro-Cuban, Middle Eastern, and Latin American percussion and instrumentation. In 2010, Linstead was named "World Artist of the Year" in the T.O.M.A Awards (The Ontario Music Awards), was the recipient of "Best World Album" and "Best Instrumental Album - Acoustic" in the ZMR Awards, and signed an influential artist endorsement deal with the Yamaha Corporation of America. Further accolades include being named "Guitarist of the Year" in the prestigious Canadian Smooth Jazz Awards (2007), two NAR Lifestyle Music Awards, a nomination for a Juno Award and others.
Johannes Linstead began studying guitar at age eight, when he was given a guitar for his birthday. As he progressed, he gravitated to the classical guitar; the only music he was exposed to as a child. In his teens, however, he also developed a love for other styles, such as rock, flamenco, and jazz. Popular composers and guitarists which have impacted Linstead as a musician include Sor, Tarrega, Giuliani, Randy Rhoads, Steve Vai, Yngwie Malmsteen, Jorge Strunz, Sabicas, Paco de Lucia, Al Di Meola, John McLaughlin and Angel Romero.
Further influences in his music come from travel across the globe, including India, Bahrain, Spain, Cuba, Mexico, and at least two dozen others.
Linstead has studied Hung Gar Kung Fu with Dr. Jopet Laraya and practices Qi Gong, having studied with renown master Weizhou Wu, in an effort to live a holistic life.
In an effort to deepen his spiritual practice Linstead began studying Kundalini yoga in 2001 and became a KRI certified instructor. Linstead was bestowed the name Seva Singh or "Lion of Devotional Service" by Kundalini yoga master Yogi Bhajan. The name Sevara is derived from "Seva" meaning devotional service, and "Ra", the sun aspect which corresponds to his astrological sign. Having become a certified Kundalini Yoga instructor, he teaches whenever his tour schedule permits.
In the autumn 2006, Linstead contributed his song "Journey To Alcazaba" to the album project Artists for Charity - Guitarists 4 the Kids, produced by Slang Productions, to assist World Vision Canada in helping underprivileged kids in need.
In the winter of 2006, Johannes founded Divine Earth, an online humanitarian community where members post information about spirituality, health, and world politics. The philosophy of Divine Earth is that in order to attain a happier and healthy world we must first understand what substandard conditions exist that undermine the individual's ability to find inner peace.
- Tales of a Gypsy (2012) #1 on eMusic.com Flamenco/Tango charts; nominated for 3 ZMR Music Awards.
- Mistico (2009) #1 on eMusic.com World Music and Jazz/Blues charts; winner of "Best World Album" and "Best Instrumental Album - Acoustic" in the ZMR Awards,
- Encanto (Johannes Linstead and Nicholas Gunn) (2007) ranked #6 on Billboard's New Age Chart, 3 nominations in the NAR Lifestyle Music awards, nominated "Best Latin Album" in the IAP Awards.
- Cafe Tropical (2006) ranked #4 on Billboard's New Age chart, #1 on eMusic.com World Music chart, winner "Best Music" from Best Magazine, JUNO nominated for "Best Instrumental Album".
- Mediterranea (2004), ranked in the Top Ten on Billboard's New Age chart, reaching the #6 position and won "Best World Album" in the NAR Lifestyle Music Awards.
- Zabuca (2003), ranked Top Ten, and charted for 34 weeks. The song "Eleni" from this album was heard as part of Switzerland's Stéphane Lambiel's performance in the 2004 World Figure Skating Championships.
- Guitarra del Fuego (2001) was named "Best Contemporary World Album" by NAV Magazine, charting on Billboard for 36 weeks.
- Kiss the Earth (2000)
- Sol Luna Tierra (1999)
JUNO Awards Nominations
2007: Instrumental Album of the Year: Café Tropical, Nominated: Johannes Linstead
Total Nominations: 1
- Sol Luna Tierra (1999)
- Kiss the Earth (2000)
- Guitarra del Fuego (2001)
- Zabuca (2003)
- Mediterranea (2004)
- Café Tropical (2006) Nominated for a Juno Award for Instrumental Album of the Year
- Mistico (2009)
- Tales of a Gypsy (2012)
- Midnight Rhumba (2014)
- The Best Of (2010) (RDF)
As Featured Artist
- We Three Strings (2006) (Johannes Linstead, Bryan Lubeck, Tomas Michaud)
- Encanto (2007) (Johannes Linstead and Nicholas Gunn)
- Live! (2008) (David Arkenstone, Nicholas Gunn, Johannes Linstead and Loren Gold)
- Dreams Go By (2010) (features Monica Fedrigo on Cello)
- Everlasting Joy - Music for Yoga (2011) (Sevara feat. Johannes Linstead)
Other Compilation Appearances
- Bolero Gypsies: New Flamenco - Volume II (2006) (Bolero Records)
- Camino Latino / Latin Journey - Liona Maria Boyd (2002) (Moston)
- Guitar Greats: The Best of New Flamenco - Volume II (2002) (Baja/TSR Records)
- Guitar Greats: The Best of New Flamenco - Volume III (2013) (Baja/TSR Records)
- "Goes down easy". Postmedia News. July 6, 2006. Retrieved 30 June 2012.
- "Johannes Linstead Interview". Guitarhoo!. Guitarhoo.com. October 16, 2005. Retrieved March 9, 2013.
- "Johannes Linstead Fave 5 Record Reviews". Guitarhoo!. Guitarhoo.com. 2008. Retrieved March 9, 2013.
- "Awards". Retrieved 2012-08-30.
- "Slang Productions - Guitarists 4 the Kids". Slang Productions. September 11, 2006. Retrieved March 30, 2014.
- Johannes Linstead | Official Website
- Johannes Linstead on Facebook
- Johannes Linstead on Myspace
- Johannes Linstead on Twitter
- Johannes Linstead's channel on YouTube
- Johannes Linstead's videos on YouTube
- Johannes Linstead on SoundCloud
- Johannes Linstead on Last.fm
- Johannes Linstead at AllMusic
- Johannes Linstead on Amazon
- Johannes Linstead on Real Music
- Johannes Linstead on Yamaha Artists
- Johannes Linstead's eMusic page
- Divine Earth
- Real Music