||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (January 2013)|
9 October 1910|
|Died||23 September 1986
|Years of service||1933–1945|
|Unit||5th SS Panzer Grenadier Division Wiking|
|Battles/wars||World War II|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
Iron Cross 1st Class
Iron Cross 2nd Class
German Cross in Gold
Wound Badge in Gold
Mentioned in official Wehrmachtbericht
SS Long Service Award
Johannes-Rudolf Mühlenkamp (1910–1986) was a Standartenführer (Colonel) in the Waffen-SS during World War II. He was awarded the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves on September 21, 1944.
Mühlenkamp was born on 9 October 1910 in Montigny-lès-Metz, Alsace-Lorraine. He was one of the early members of the NSDAP and the SS, joining on April 1933. Mühlenkamp was given the party number 2 800 042 and the SS service number 86 065. He was first assigned to the 4th SS Standarte Schleswig Holstein in Hamburg before being moved to the 2nd SS Standarte of the SS-Verfügungstruppe in 1934. Then, Mühlenkamp had been selected to become an officer in 1935. He was sent to the SS junker school at Braunschweig.
From April to May 1936, Mühlenkamp completed motorcycle training with the Heers 2nd Panzer Division, being highly successful in pre World War II motorcycle competitions. On completion of his officer training, Mühlenkamp was assigned to the 2nd Battalion of the Germania Regiment (5th SS Panzer Division Wiking) as a platoon leader on November 1937. Mühlenkamp took over command of the Motor Cycle Company on May 1938.
World War II
At the eve of the war, Mühlenkamp was the Divisional Adjutant of the SS-Verfügungstruppe Division, until December 1940, when he was given the command of the Reich Division Reconnaissance Battalion. Mühlenkamp was seriously wounded in the head by artillery shrapnel near Jelnja, Russia. Hospitalized between October and February 1942, Mühlenkamp missed the first Russian winter of the war. On his release from hospital, Johannes Mühlenkamp was assigned to the 5th SS Panzer Grenadier Division Wiking, as Panzer Battalion commander, until March 1943. When the number of soldiers from the battalion have been increased, the battalion was converted into a regiment. On August 1944, Mühlenkamp was given the command of the 5th SS Panzer Division Wiking. He commanded this unit until October 1944. Then, Mühlenkamp was promoted Inspector of Waffen SS Panzer troops in the SS-Führungshauptamt. His last command was the 32. SS-Panzergrenadier-Division from January 1945 to February 1945.
- SS-Standartenführer : 20 Apr. 1944
- SS-Obersturmbannführer : 30 Jan. 1943
- SS-Sturmbannführer : 30 Jan. 1942
- SS-Hauptsturmführer : 30 Jun. 1939
- SS-Obersturmführer : 9 Nov. 1937
- SS-Untersturmführer : 20 Apr. 1936
Decorations and Awards
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- Knight's Cross on 3 September 1942, as SS-Sturmbannführer and Kommandeur, SS-Panzer-Abteilung / SS-Division "Wiking" / LVII.Armee-Korps / 1.Panzer-Armee/Heeresgruppe A
- Oak Leaves (596th award) on 21 September 1944, as SS-Standartenführer and Kommandeur, 5.SS-Panzer-Division "Wiking" / IV.SS-Pz.Korps / Heeresgruppe Mitte
- German Cross in Gold (2 January 1942)
- Iron Cross of 1939
- 1st class (11 November 1939)
- 2nd class (3 October 1939)
- Mentioned in the Wehrmachtbericht (11 July 1944) for his unit's destruction of 103 Soviet tanks at Maciejow
- Wound Badge, 1939 in Gold (13 January 1943)
- Panzer Badge
- SS Long Service Award
- Sword of honour of the Reichsführer-SS
- SS Honour Ring
- Order of the Crown of King Zvonimir, 1st class with Swords (Independent State of Croatia (NDH))
- Alman, Karl (2008). Panzer vor – Die dramatische Geschichte der deutschen Panzerwaffe und ihrer tapferen Soldaten. Würzburg, Germany: Flechsig Verlag. ISBN 978-3-88189-638-2.
- Thomas, Franz (1998). Die Eichenlaubträger 1939–1945 Band 2: L–Z [The Oak Leaves Bearers 1939–1945 Volume 2: L–Z] (in German). Osnabrück, Germany: Biblio-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-7648-2300-9.
- Standartenführer Johannes Mühlenkamp, Kommandeur des SS-Panzerregiments 5 (Wiking), und seine Männer, Publisher: de Krijger, 2005: ISBN 90-5868-146-7.
- Johannes Mühlenkamp on lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de
SS-Oberführer Eduard Deisenhofer
|Commander of 5. SS-Panzer-Division Wiking
August 1944 – 9 October 1944
SS-Oberführer Karl Ullrich