|Born||16 May 1918
|Died||22 December 1997(aged 79)|
|Years of service||1938–1945|
|Unit||2nd SS Panzer Division Das Reich
4th SS Polizei Panzergrenadier Division
|Battles/wars||World War II|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross
German Cross in Gold
Iron Cross 1st Class
Iron Cross 2nd Class
Eastern Front Medal 1941/42
Wound Badge in Gold
Panzer Badge in Gold
Close Combat Clasp in Silver 
Johannes Scherg (16 May 1918 – 22 December 1997) was a Hauptsturmführer (Captain) in the Waffen SS during World War II who was awarded the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross, which was awarded to recognize extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership by Nazi Germany during World War II.
Johannes Scherg was born in Würzburg on the 16 May 1918. After finishing school and his labour service, he volunteered to join the SS in 1938 serving with the SS-VT in Munich with the SS Regiment Germaina.
World War II
In 1941 he was selected to become an officer and posted to the SS-Junkerschule at Bad Tölz graduating in September 1941. Promoted to Untersturmführer (Second Lieutenant) he became a platoon commander in the 1st Company, 2nd SS Panzer Reconnaissance Battalion, Das Reich Division serving on the Eastern Front.
Scherg was promoted to Hauptsturmführer in May 1945, and captured by the British Army at Lauenburg. He was handed over to the Americans who in turn handed him over to the French in 1947. He was held captive by the French in the Military Prison at Bordeaux until he was released in June 1951.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939–1945 – Die Inhaber der höchsten Auszeichnung des Zweiten Weltkrieges aller Wehrmachtsteile [The Bearers of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939–1945 — The Owners of the Highest Award of the Second World War of all Wehrmacht Branches] (in German). Friedberg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 978-3-7909-0284-6.
- Williamson Gordon, German Military Police Units 1939-45, Osprey Publishing, 1989. ISBN 0-85045-902-8
- Huseman, Friedrich. In Good Faith: The History of 4. SS-Polizei-Panzergrenadier-Division: Volume 1, 1939-1943. J.J. Fedorowicz, 2003 ISBN 0-921991-74-6
- Mitcham, Jr.Samuel, Retreat to the Reich, Stackpole books 2007. ISBN 0-8117-3384-X
- Henschler Henri & Fay Will, Armor Battles of the Waffen-SS, 1943-45 Stackpole Books, 2003. ISBN 0-8117-2905-2