Johannes de Peyster
|Johannes de Peyster|
|23rd Mayor of New York City|
|Preceded by||William Merritt|
|Succeeded by||David Provost|
New York City
Johannes was born in New York City in 1666 to Johannes and Cornelia Lubberts de Peyster. Johannes married Albany, New York, native Anna Bancker (sister of Evert Bancker). In addition to his stint as mayor, he served in the colonial assembly.
Johannes's brother Abraham de Peyster served as mayor from 1691 to 1694. Johannes was succeeded as mayor by David Provost, their brother-in law. Johannes's son, also Johannes, served as mayor of Albany. According to some sources, Johannes was known as "Johannes de Peyster II" and his son as "III".
- Wilson, James Grant (ed.) The memorial history of the City of New-York, Vol. II, p. 54 (1892)
- Allaben, Frank. John Watts de Peyster, Volume 1, p. 18-19 (1908)
- Manual of the corporation of the city of New York, p. 395-96 (1853)
- Garrett, Erwin Clarkson. Army ballads and other verses, p. 273 (1916)
- Lamb, Martha J. & Burton Harrison. History of the City of New York, Vol. I, p.398-402 (1896 ed.)
- Johannes De Peyster, New York State museum website, Retrieved October 31, 2011