Hans van der Zouwen
Johannes (Hans) van der Zouwen (born 1939) is a Dutch sociologist, and Emeritus Professor of Social Research Methodology at the Vrije Universiteit in Amsterdam, known for his pioneering work with Felix Geyer in the field of sociocybernetics.
In the 1960s Van der Zouwen received his MA in sociology and 1970 his PhD in sociology from the Vrije Universiteit with a thesis about the sociological aspects of volunteer work around the Vrije University. Late 1960s Van der Zouwen had started his academic career at the Vrije University in Amsterdam, where in 1969 he had become chair of the department of Social Research Methodology. From 1971 to early 2000 he was Professor of Social Research Methodology. Since then he is affiliated with the Interuniversity Graduate School of Psychometrics and Sociometrics (IOPS). In the 1990s Van der Zouwen is awarded Honorary Fellow of the World Organisation of Systems and Cybernetics.
Books, a selection.
- 1978. Sociocybernetics : an actor-oriented social systems approach. With Felix Geyer (eds.)
- 1982, Response behaviour in the survey-interview. With Wil Dijkstra (eds.)
- 1986. Sociocybernetic Paradoxes: Observation, Control and Evolution of Self-Steering Systems. With Felix Geyer (eds.)
- 1987. A methodological comparison of the data quality in telephone and face-to-face surveys : a meta analysis of the research literature. With Edith de Leeuw. University of Amsterdam.
- 2001. Sociocybernetics: complexity, autopoiesis, and observation of social systems. With R. Felix Geyer (eds).
- 2002. Standardization and Tacit Knowledge: Interaction and Practice in the Survey Interview. New York: Wiley Interscience. With Douglas W. Maynard, Hanneke Houtkoop-Steenstra, and Nora Cate Schaeffer.
- Kenneth D. Bailey (1994) Sociology and the new systems theory: toward a theoretical synthesis. p. 165)
- D. Ray Heisey (2000) Chinese perspectives in rhetoric and communication. p. 274
- Johannes van der Zouwen (1970) De Gereformeerden en de Vrije Universiteit : sociologisch onderzoek naar inhoud en ontwikkeling van de relatie tussen een instelling en haar recruteringsveld voor steunverlening. Alphen aan den Rijn : Samsom.
- For a listing of his mayor (Dutch) publications, see here