John (Lil Wayne song)
|Single by Lil Wayne featuring Rick Ross|
|from the album Tha Carter IV|
|Released||March 24, 2011|
|Genre||Hip hop, hardcore hip hop|
|Label||Young Money, Cash Money, Universal Motown|
|Writer(s)||Dwayne Carter Jr., William Leonard Roberts II, Kevin Crowe, Erik Ortiz|
|Producer(s)||Polow Da Don, Rob Halladay|
|Certification||2x Platinum (RIAA)|
|Lil Wayne chronology|
"John" is a song by American rapper Lil Wayne, and the second single from his album Tha Carter IV. The song features rapper Rick Ross, and it peaked at number 22 on the Billboard Hot 100. "John" was released on March 24, 2011, on iTunes. The song uses the hook from Rick Ross' song "I'm Not a Star" from his album Teflon Don. The song title refers to musician John Lennon. Lil Wayne performed the song at 2011 MTV Video Music Awards to the riff of Black Sabbath song, Iron Man.
The official music video was released on VEVO on May 12, 2011. Birdman makes an appearance in the video, which was directed by Colin Tilley, who directed Chris Brown's "Look at Me Now," which also featured Wayne.
On May 11, rapper Ace Hood released a freestyle over the beat of "John," which was off his "Body Bag Vol. 1" mixtape. Also on May 11, rapper Wiz Khalifa released a remix of "John" titled "Chuck." Rapper Chamillionaire freestyled a verse along with the original lyrics on his Badass Freemixes 2 mixtape. Lil Wyte also released his own version on his mixtape Wyte Christmas on December 26. Tyga also released a version of the track called "Well Done 2" on a mixtape with the same name. Jim Jones also released a freestyle.
- Digital single
|1.||"John" (featuring Rick Ross)||Dwayne Carter, William Leonard Roberts II||Ayo The Producer||4:47|
Charts and certifications
|US Billboard Hot 100||22|
|US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs (Billboard)||19|
|US Rap Songs (Billboard)||12|
|United States (RIAA)||2x Platinum||2,000,000*|
^shipments figures based on certification alone
- "John (feat. Rick Ross) – Single – United States". iTunes. Apple, Inc. Retrieved August 16, 2011.
- "Ace Hood – John (Freestyle)". HipHopDX. May 12, 2011. Retrieved May 15, 2011.
- "John". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2011-04-10.
- Top Hip-Hop and R&B Songs & Singles Charts. Billboard.com. Retrieved on 2012-02-06.
- Rap Songs. Billboard.com. Retrieved on 2012-02-06.
- "American single certifications – Lil Wayne – John". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH
|This hip hop song-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|