John Abraham (actor)
John Abraham in March 2013
|Born||better source needed]
17 December 1972 [|
Kochi, Kerala, India
|Occupation||Actor, Film producer, Model|
|Height||6 ft 1 in|
|Parents||Abraham John and Firoza Irani|
|Relatives||Susy Mathew (cousin)
Alan (younger brother)
John Abraham is an Indian film actor, producer and former model. After modelling for numerous Advertisements and companies, John made his film debut with Jism (2003), which earned him a Filmfare Best Debut Award nomination.
This was followed by his first commercial success, Dhoom (2004). He received two Filmfare Award nominations, for his negative roles in Dhoom, and in Zinda (2006). He later appeared in the major critical success Water (2005). He was nominated for a Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actor for the film Baabul (2006). Since then, Abraham has starred in many critically and commercially successful films including Dostana (2008), New York (2009), Force (2011), Shootout at Wadala (2013), and Madras Cafe (2013).
In 2012, he produced his first film Vicky Donor, which was a critical and commercial success, and earned him a National Film Award for Best Popular Film Providing Wholesome Entertainment. He then established his own production house, John Abraham Entertainment. His second movie as a Producer was Madras Cafe, which garnered fantastic critical acclaim. His athletic, muscular and well built physique has acquired him the status of being one of the most handsome and influential sex symbols in Bollywood.
Early life and education
John Abraham was born to a Malayali Nasrani father and a Parsi mother. His father, Abraham John, is an architect from Aluva, Kerala; his mother is Firoza Irani. Abraham's Parsi name is "Farhan" while his father being a Marthomite Syrian Christian named him "John." He has a sister Susy Mathew and younger brother.
Abraham studied at Bombay Scottish School in Mumbai. He got his bachelor's degree in economics from Jai Hind College. John also received an MMS from Mumbai educational trust, Mumbai (MET) 
John Abraham started his modelling career appearing in the music video of the song "Surma" by Punjabi singer Jazzy B. He then joined a media firm Time & Space Media Entertainment Promotions Ltd., which however closed because of financial problems. Later, he worked for Enterprises-Nexus as a media planner. In 1999, he won the Gladrags Manhunt Contest and went to the Philippines for Manhunt International, where he runner up second place. he later modelled in Hong Kong, London and New York City. He also appeared in a number of commercial advertisements and in other music videos for singers including Pankaj Udhas, Hans Raj Hans and Babul Supriyo. To improve his acting skills, Abraham joined the Kishore Namit Kapoor acting laboratory and completed an acting course while juggling modelling assignments.
In 2005 he starred in the supernatural thriller Kaal and the comedy Garam Masala both of which did well at the box office. Later that year, he had a role in Water, which portrayed the tragic fate of Hindu widows in British India of the 1930s. The film was written and directed by independent Canadian film-maker Deepa Mehta. It was popular internationally, and was nominated for the 2006 Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film at the 79th Academy Awards. Abraham attended the ceremony along with the film's crew and makers but the film lost to Germany's The Lives of Others.
In the summer of 2006, Abraham performed at the "Rockstars Concert" along with fellow Bollywood actors Salman Khan, Zayed Khan, Kareena Kapoor, Esha Deol, Shahid Kapoor and Mallika Sherawat. In that same year, he starred in the films Zinda, Taxi No. 9211, Baabul and Kabul Express. Among these Taxi No. 9211 and Kabul Express were substantially successful.
Nikhil Advani's multi-starrer Salaam-e-Ishq: A Tribute to Love was Abraham's first release in 2007. The movie failed to do well at the Indian box office, though it did well in the overseas markets. His last two 2007 releases included the thriller No Smoking and the sports film Dhan Dhana Dhan Goal.
He has a fashion line— branded JA Clothes — which primarily features his favorite article of clothing, jeans.
In 2011, was seen in the films Aashayein and Jhootha Hi Sahi. Both of the films turned out to be box office failures. Lately, Abraham has appeared in films Force (2011), Desi Boyz (2011), and Housefull 2 (2012). His first film of 2013 was the multi-starrer Race 2 which was commercially successful, though his second release the coming-of-age romantic comedy I, Me Aur Main, under performed at the box office. His next release was Shootout at Wadala, in which he was portraying the role of gangster Manya Surve. The film emerged a success at the box office.His latest movie Madras Cafe, which also is a second movie for him as a producer garnered much critical acclaim, also the collections of the movie saw an upward trend after the terrific word of mouth.
He is currently shooting Dostana 2 with Karan Parekh.
His debut film as a producer was titled Vicky Donor (2012) and featured Ayushmann Khurrana, Annu Kapoor and Yami Gautam. Abraham also appeared in an item-number for the film. It opened to positive response, and turned out to be a critical and commercial success. His second production, Madras Cafe which is also directed by Shoojit Sircar, opened to overwhelming response from the critics, and after taking a positive start at the box-office, the film saw an enormous jump owing to the terrific word of mouth. Abraham has also announced his ideas on Hamara Bajaj, an upcoming reality film he is planning with most of the cast & crew of Vicky Donor.
During the filming of Jism in 2002, Abraham began to date his co-star Bipasha Basu. They were in a relationship until early 2011 when the couple officially broke up Whilst together, the two were often referred to as a supercouple in the Indian media. He is now married to Priya Runchal, an NRI financial analyst and investment banker from USA native to McLeodganj, whom he met in Mumbai, in December, 2010.
In January 2009, Abraham led a group of Indian celebrities in the Mumbai Marathon, an annual event to benefit the United Way. He did not run the marathon, but encouraged the participants by waving at them from the start line.
|2003||Jism||Kabir Lal||Nominated – Filmfare Award for Best Male Debut|
|2003||Saaya||Dr.Akash / "Akki"|
|2004||Lakeer – Forbidden Lines||Saahil|
|2004||Dhoom||Kabir||Nominated – Filmfare Award for Best Performance in a Negative Role|
|2005||Garam Masala||Shyam / "Sam"|
|2006||Zinda||Rohit Chopra||Nominated - Filmfare Award for Best Performance in a Negative Role|
|2006||Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna||Special appearance in the song "Where's The Party Tonight?"|
|2006||Taxi No. 9211||Jai Mittal|
|2006||Baabul||Rajat||Nominated - Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actor|
|2006||Kabul Express||Sohail Khan|
|2007||Salaam-e-Ishq: A Tribute to Love||Ashutosh Raina|
|2007||Hattrick||Special appearance in the song "Wicket Bacha"|
|2007||Dhan Dhana Dhan Goal||Sunny Bhasin|
|2009||Luck by Chance||Himself||Special appearance|
|2009||Little Zizou||Arjun||Special appearance|
|2009||New York||Samir / "Sam"|
|2010||Jhootha Hi Sahi||Sid|
|2011||7 Khoon Maaf||Jimmy Stetson|
|2011||Mere Brother Ki Dulhan||Himself||Special appearance|
|2011||Desi Boyz||Nick Mathur / "Hunter"|
|2012||Vicky Donor||Special appearance in the song "Rum Whisky"|
|2013||Race 2||Armaan Malik|
|2013||I, Me, aur Main||Ishaan Sabharwal|
|2013||Shootout at Wadala||Manya Surve|
|2013||Madras Cafe||Vikram Singh|
|2012||Vicky Donor||National Film Award for Best Popular Film Providing Wholesome Entertainment
Nominated – Filmfare Award for Best Film
|2014||Satra Ko Shaadi Hain||Filming|
Awards and nominations
|2006||Rajiv Gandhi Award for his achievement in Bollywood||Yes|||
|2007||Giant International Awards for he`s contribution to Indian cinema||Yes|
|2008||Sexiest Asian Man||Yes|||
|2009||Loins Club Award||Yes|||
|2011||India's Sexiest Bachelor by the BIG CBS PRIME||Yes|||
|2012||Most Stylish Man - GQ Awards (India)||Yes|||
- "John Abraham enters Bollywood with Jism". Times of India. 10 January 2003. Retrieved 3 September 2010.
- "Water (2005)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 3 September 2010.
- Priya Gupta (6 December 2012). "Hrithik is more good-looking than me: John Abraham". Times Of India. Retrieved 2013-02-06.
- "John Abraham Indian actor Model Profile biography Movie list » Psyphil Celebrity Blog". Celebrity.psyphil.com. 17 December 1992. Retrieved 2012-06-13.
- "Pics: John Abraham with his sister Susy Matthew". Indicine.com. 21 February 2012. Retrieved 2013-02-06.
- Manav Manglani. "John Abraham Gifts Audi Q Life To Sister-in-law On Her Birthday In Bandra". Koimoi.com. Retrieved 2013-02-06.
- "John Abraham gives his sister-in-law an Beater Car". Pinkvilla. 10 October 2012. Retrieved 2013-02-06.
- UTV New Media Ltd. (17 January 2003). "JohnAbraham.com : Official Website With Latest News, Photos, Videos and Updates From The Bollywood Star". Utvjohn.com. Retrieved 2012-06-13.
- "John Abraham". John Abraham. Retrieved 2012-06-13.
- Lover, Movie. "John Abraham Latest Movies Videos Images Photos Wallpapers Songs Biography Trivia On". Gomolo.com. Retrieved 2012-06-13.
- [dead link]
- "Surma' - John Abraham Jazzy B (Punjabi Album) HQ.flv". YouTube. 21 October 2010. Retrieved 2012-07-21.
- "John Abraham-Portfolio Pics- The Times of India Photogallery Page 57". Photogallery.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 2012-07-21.
- "Images: Top models who became actors – Rediff Getahead". Rediff.com. 19 November 2010. Retrieved 2012-07-21.
- "Birthday Boy John Abraham » NDTV Movies". Movies.ndtv.com. Retrieved 2012-07-21.
- "Box Office 2003".
- "Box Office 2004". Dhoom.
- "Box Office". Retrieved 2005-11-12.
- "Bollywood rocks Atlantic City". bollyvista.com. Retrieved 12 May 2006.
- "Box Office". Retrieved 2006-11-05.
- "Box Office 2007". Salaam-e-Ishq. Retrieved 8 May 2007.
- "Box Office". Retrieved 2007-05-05.
- "John Abraham Jeans by Wrangler". Retrieved 2008-02-22.[dead link]
- "John Abraham shoots an item number for ‘Vicky Donor’". Page3bollywood.com. 20 March 2012. Retrieved 2012-06-13.
- Iyer, Meena (30 August 2009). "Yes, I'm racist & Fugly: Bipasha". The Times of India. Retrieved 3 September 2009.
- Udasi, Harshikaa (27 March 2009). "Just come, sizzle". The Hindu (India). Retrieved 3 September 2009.
- "Relationship with John over for good: Bipasha". Mid-Day. 25 July 2011. Retrieved 31 December 2011.
- Times News Network (4 April 2007). "It's London in spring time!". The Times of India. Retrieved 2009-09-03.
- "Break-up with John was not amicable: Bipasha Basu". The Times of India. 4 April 2007. Retrieved 2009-09-03.
- TNN (4 April 2007). "It's London in spring time!". The Times of India. Retrieved 3 September 2009.
- "Priya Runchal". Miss Mahi. 3 June 2014.
- "Wedding bells Kangra Mcleodganj". Times of India. 19 April 2012.
- "Habitat for Humanity". Retrieved 2007-06-29.
- "Habitat for Humanity". Retrieved 2007-06-29.
- "John Donates Rs 10 Lakh to Pediatric Centre of Nanavati Hospital". Retrieved 2007-12-09.
- "John with Soha at Mumbai Marathon". Retrieved 2009-01-19.
- "Ban animals in circus, John urges government".
- "Madhuri wraps 'Gulaab Gang' shoot".
- "John Abraham to take TV viewers through 'A Simple Life'". November 14, 2013. The Times of India. Retrieved December 10, 2013.
- "John's views on the series - John Abraham: A Simple Life". November 18, 2013. NDTV. Retrieved December 10, 2013.
- "Newbie Harshvardhan Rane excited to be launched by John Abraham". India Today. March 22, 2014. Retrieved 2014-05-25.
- "Nowrunning.com". John Abraham awarded Rajiv Gandhi Award. Retrieved 21 August 2006.
- "John Abraham voted sexiest Asian man". Retrieved 2008-12-13.
- "Loins Club Award". Retrieved 19 August 2013.
- "John bags the title of 'India's Sexiest Bachelor'". Glamsham Magazine. Retrieved 16 September 2011.
- http://womenpla.net/john-abraham-marries-girlfriend-priya-runchal/ John Abraham marries girlfriend Priya Runchal
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to John Abraham.|