John Abraham (actor)
|This article's listed sources may not meet Wikipedia's guidelines for reliable sources. (May 2012)|
John Abraham in March 2013
17 December 1972 |
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
|Occupation||Actor, Film producer, model|
|Partner(s)||Priya Runchal (2012–present)|
|Parents||Abraham John and Firoza Irani|
|Relatives||Susy Mathew (sister)
Alan (younger brother)
John Abraham (born 17 December 1972) is an Indian film actor, producer and former model. After modeling for numerous advertisements and companies, Abraham made his film debut with Jism (2003), which earned him a Filmfare Best Debut Award nomination. This was followed by his first commercial success, Dhoom (2004). He received two Filmfare Award nominations, for his negative roles in Dhoom, and in Zinda (2006). He later appeared in the major critical success Water (2005). He was nominated for a Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actor for the film Baabul (2006). In 2012, he produced his first production Vicky Donor which was a critical and commercial success. He then established his own production house, John Abraham Entertainment.
Early life and education 
John was born in Mumbai to a Malayali father and a Parsi mother. His father, Abraham John, is an architect from Aluva, Kerala; his mother is named Firoza Irani. Abraham's Parsi name is "Farhan" while his father being a Marthomite Syrian Christian named him "John". He has a sister Susy Mathew and younger brother, Alan. Abraham studied at Bombay Scottish School, Mahim in Mumbai. He got his bachelor's degree in economics from Jai Hind College. John also received an MMS from Mumbai Educational Trust (MET).
John Abraham started his modelling career appearing in the music video of the song "Surma" by Punjabi singer Jazzy B. He then joined a media firm Time & Space Media Entertainment Promotions Ltd., which, however, closed because of financial problems. Later, he worked for Enterprises-Nexus as a media planner. In 1999, he won the Gladrags Manhunt Contest and went to the Philippines for Manhunt International, where he won second place. Following this, he was signed by Carrie Models in Singapore and did some modelling there; he later modelled in Hong Kong, London and New York City. He also appeared in a number of commercial advertisements and in other music videos for singers including Pankaj Udhas, Hans Raj Hans and Babul Supriyo. To improve his acting skills, Abraham joined the Kishore Namit Kapoor acting laboratory and completed an acting course while juggling modelling assignments.
In 2005 he starred in the supernatural thriller Kaal and the comedy Garam Masala both of which did well at the box office. Later that year, he had a role in Water, which portrayed the tragic fate of Hindu widows in British India of the 1930s. The film was written and directed by independent Canadian film-maker Deepa Mehta. It was popular internationally, and was nominated for the 2006 Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film at the 79th Academy Awards.
In the summer of 2006, Abraham performed at the "Rockstars Concert" along with fellow Bollywood actors Salman Khan, Zayed Khan, Kareena Kapoor, Esha Deol, Shahid Kapoor and Mallika Sherawat. In that same year, he starred in the films Zinda, Taxi No. 9211, Baabul and Kabul Express. Among these Taxi No. 9211 and Kabul Express were substantially successful.
Nikhil Advani's multi-starrer Salaam-e-Ishq: A Tribute to Love was Abraham's first release in 2007. The movie failed to do well at the Indian box office, though it did well in the overseas markets. His last two 2007 releases included the arthouse thriller No Smoking and the sports film Dhan Dhana Dhan Goal.
He has a fashion line— branded JA Clothes — which primarily features his favorite article of clothing, jeans.
In 2011, was seen in the films Aashayein and Jhootha Hi Sahi. Both of the films turned out to be box office failures. Lately, Abraham has appeared in films Force (2011), Desi Boyz (2011), and Housefull 2 (2012). His first film of 2013 was Race 2 which was a multi starrer and a comercial hit while his second release was I, Me Aur Main, which did average business. He is currently working on Shootout at Wadala, in which he will be portraying the role of Manya Surve.
His debut film as a producer was titled Vicky Donor (2012) and featured Ayushmann Khurrana, Annu Kapoor and Yami Gautam. Abraham also appeared in an item-number for the film. It opened to positive response, and turned out to be a critical and commercial success. He is currently working on his second production, Madras Cafe which will also be directed by Shoojit Sircar. Abraham has also announced his ideas on Hamara Bajaj, an upcoming reality film he is planning with most of the cast & crew of Vicky Donor.
Personal life 
During the filming of Jism in 2002, Abraham began to date his co-star Bipasha Basu. They were in a relationship till early 2011 when the couple officially broke off. While together, the two were often referred to as a supercouple in the Indian media. He is now in a relationship with Priya Runchal, an NRI financial analyst and investment banker from USA native to McLeodganj, whom he met in Mumbai, in December, 2010.
Social causes 
|2003||Jism||Kabir Lal||Nominated – Filmfare Award for Best Male Debut|
|2003||Saaya||Dr.Akash / "Akki"|
|2004||Lakeer – Forbidden Lines||Saahil|
|2004||Dhoom||Kabir||Nominated – Filmfare Award for Best Performance in a Negative Role|
|2005||Garam Masala||Shyam / "Sam"|
|2006||Zinda||Rohit Chopra||Nominated, Filmfare Award for Best Performance in a Negative Role|
|2006||Taxi No. 9211||Jai Mittal|
|2006||Baabul||Rajat||Nominated, Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actor|
|2006||Kabul Express||Sohail Khan|
|2007||Salaam-e-Ishq: A Tribute to Love||Ashutosh Raina|
|2007||Hattrick||Special appearance in the song "Wicket Bacha"|
|2007||Dhan Dhana Dhan Goal||Sunny Bhasin|
|2009||Luck by Chance||Himself||Special appearance|
|2009||Little Zizou||Arjun||Special appearance|
|2009||New York||Samir / "Sam"|
|2010||Jhootha Hi Sahi||Sid|
|2011||7 Khoon Maaf||Jimmy Stetson|
|2011||Mere Brother Ki Dulhan||Himself||Special appearance|
|2011||Desi Boyz||Nick Mathur / "Hunter"|
|2012||Vicky Donor||Special appearance in the song "Rum Whisky"|
|2013||Race 2||Armaan Malik|
|2013||I, Me, aur Main||Ishaan Sabharwal|
|2013||Shootout at Wadala||Manya Surve|
|2013||Madras Cafe||with Saya Lynx||Releasing on August 30, 2013|
|2012||Vicky Donor||National Film Award for Best Popular Film Providing Wholesome Entertainment
Nominated – Filmfare Award for Best Film
|2013||Madras Cafe||coming soon|
Awards and nominations 
- 2013: National Film Award for Best Popular Film Providing Wholesome Entertainment for Vicky Donor
- Filmfare Awards
- 2004: Filmfare Award for Best Male Debut for Jism
- 2005: Filmfare Award for Best Performance in a Negative Role for Dhoom 
- 2007: Filmfare Award for Best Performance in a Negative Role for Zinda
- 2007: Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actor for Baabul
- 2013: Filmfare Award for Best Film for Vicky Donor
- IIFA Awards
- 2006: IIFA Best Supporting Actor Award for Garam Masala
- 2007: IIFA Best Villain Award for Zinda
- Zee Cine Awards
- Stardust Awards
- Global Indian Film Awards
Other awards 
- 2006: Rajiv Gandhi Award for his achievement in Bollywood
- 2007: Giant International Awards for his contribution to Indian cinema
- 2008: Sexiest Asian Man
- 2009: Lions Club Award
- 2011: India's Sexiest Bachelor by the BIG CBS PRIME
- "John Abraham enters Bollywood with Jism". Times of India. 10 January 2003. Retrieved 3 September 2010.
- "Water (2005)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 3 September 2010.
- Priya Gupta (6 December 2012). "Hrithik is more good-looking than me: John Abraham". Times Of India. Retrieved 2013-02-06.
- "John Abraham Indian actor Model Profile biography Movie list » Psyphil Celebrity Blog". Celebrity.psyphil.com. 17 December 1992. Retrieved 2012-06-13.
- John Abraham (IV) – Biography. imdb.com
- "Pics: John Abraham with his sister Susy Matthew". Indicine.com. 21 February 2012. Retrieved 2013-02-06.
- Manav Manglani. "John Abraham Gifts Audi Q Life To Sister-in-law On Her Birthday In Bandra". Koimoi.com. Retrieved 2013-02-06.
- "John Abraham gives his sister-in-law an Audi Q3". Pinkvilla. 10 October 2012. Retrieved 2013-02-06.
- "John Abraham – model, actor, jism, dhoom, garam masala, kaal, picture, profile, info and favourites". Nilacharal.com. 17 December 1972. Retrieved 2012-06-13.
- UTV New Media Ltd. (17 January 2003). "JohnAbraham.com : Official Website With Latest News, Photos, Videos and Updates From The Bollywood Star". Utvjohn.com. Retrieved 2012-06-13.
- "John Abraham". John Abraham. Retrieved 2012-06-13.
- Lover, Movie. "John Abraham Latest Movies Videos Images Photos Wallpapers Songs Biography Trivia On". Gomolo.com. Retrieved 2012-06-13.
- [dead link]
- "Surma' - John Abraham Jazzy B (Punjabi Album) HQ.flv". YouTube. 21 October 2010. Retrieved 2012-07-21.
- "John Abraham-Portfolio Pics- The Times of India Photogallery Page 57". Photogallery.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 2012-07-21.
- "Images: Top models who became actors – Rediff Getahead". Rediff.com. 19 November 2010. Retrieved 2012-07-21.
- "Birthday Boy John Abraham » NDTV Movies". Movies.ndtv.com. Retrieved 2012-07-21.
- "Box Office 2003".
- "Box Office 2004". Dhoom.
- "Box Office". Retrieved 2005-11-12.
- "Bollywood rocks Atlantic City". bollyvista.com. Retrieved 12 May 2006.
- "Box Office". Retrieved 2006-11-05.
- "Box Office 2007". Salaam-e-Ishq. Retrieved 8 May 2007.
- "Box Office". Retrieved 2007-05-05.
- "John Abraham Jeans by Wrangler". Retrieved 2008-02-22.[dead link]
- "John Abraham shoots an item number for ‘Vicky Donor’". Page3bollywood.com. 20 March 2012. Retrieved 2012-06-13.
- "Vicky Donor Movie Review". Bollymoviereviewz.blogspot.in. 9 May 2012. Retrieved 2012-06-13.
- Iyer, Meena (30 August 2009). "Yes, I'm hot & sexy: Bipasha". The Times of India. Retrieved 3 September 2009.
- Udasi, Harshikaa (27 March 2009). "Just come, sizzle". The Hindu (India). Retrieved 3 September 2009.
- "Relationship with John over for good: Bipasha". Mid-Day. 25 July 2011. Retrieved 31 December 2011.
- Times News Network (4 April 2007). "It's London in spring time!". The Times of India. Retrieved 2009-09-03.
- "Break-up with John was not amicable: Bipasha Basu". The Times of India. 4 April 2007. Retrieved 2009-09-03.
- TNN (4 April 2007). "It's London in spring time!". The Times of India. Retrieved 3 September 2009.
- "Wedding bells Kangra Mcleodganj". Times of India. 19 April 2012.
- "Habitat for Humanity". Retrieved 2007-06-29.
- "Habitat for Humanity". Retrieved 2007-06-29.
- "John Donates Rs 10 Lakh to Pediatric Centre of Nanavati Hospital". Retrieved 2007-12-09.
- "John with Soha at Mumbai Marathon". Retrieved 2009-01-19.
- "Ban animals in circus, John urges government".
- "Madhuri wraps 'Gulaab Gang' shoot".
- "filmfareawards.indiatimes.com". Filmfare Nominations '05. Retrieved 12 January 2007.
- "iifa.com". iifa Winners '05.
- "bollywoodawards.com". Nomination for Baabul. Retrieved 13 June 2007.
- "Nowrunning.com". John Abraham awarded Rajiv Gandhi Award. Retrieved 21 August 2006.
- "TimesNow.tv". John Abraham awarded Giant award. Retrieved 17 September 2007.
- "John Abraham voted sexiest Asian man". Retrieved 2008-12-13.
- "John bags the title of 'India's Sexiest Bachelor'". Glamsham Magazine. Retrieved 16 September 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: John Abraham|