John Anthony McGuckin
McGuckin was raised Roman Catholic and at 19 became a member of the Passionist religious order. In 1989 he became Greek Orthodox and was ordained a priest for the Romanian Orthodox Church, now serving at the St. Gregory the Theologian Orthodox Chaplaincy in Manhattan. He has written scholarly books on Cyril of Alexandria, Gregory of Nazianzus, and Origen, among others. His work has ranged over the areas of New Testament interpretation, Patristics, Byzantine history, and Orthodox theology. He is a prominent Orthodox theologian, who has taught both in the English-speaking world and in Eastern Europe. His wife, Eileen, is a professional icon painter.
McGuckin attended Heythrop College from 1970 to 1972, graduated from the University of London with a divinity degree in 1975, and received a Certificate in Education from the University of Newcastle upon Tyne in 1979, his PhD from Durham University in 1980, and an MA in educational studies from the University of Southampton in 1986.
Professional life and affiliations
A former Reader in Patristic and Byzantine Theology at the University of Leeds, McGuckin is the Nielsen Professor of Early Church History at Union Theological Seminary and Professor of Byzantine Christian Studies at Columbia University in New York City.
He is a Fellow of both the Royal Society of Arts and the Royal Historical Society. He is director of the Sophia Institute: International Center for Orthodox Thought and Culture, which has its offices on the Union Seminary campus in Manhattan. In 1992, he was given the award of the Brotherhood of Peter Mohyla for his educational services at the Mohyla Academy in the newly independent Ukraine. He was awarded the Gold Cross of Moldavia and Bukovina by Romanian Patriarch Daniel in 2007 for his services to the church and the academy.
- St Symeon the New Theologian: Chapters and Discourses, 1982, reprinted 1996
- The Transfiguration of Christ in Scripture and Tradition, 1986 ISBN 0-88946-609-2
- Selected Poems of St Gregory Nazianzen, 1986, reprinted 1989 and 1995
- St. Cyril of Alexandria: The Christological Controversy, 1994, reprinted 2004 ISBN 0-88141-259-7
- At the Lighting of the Lamps: Hymns from the Ancient Church, 1995, reprinted 1997 ISBN 0-8192-1717-4
- St. Gregory of Nazianzus: An Intellectual Biography, 2000; nominated for the 2002 Pollock Biography Prize ISBN 0-88141-222-8
- Standing in God's Holy Fire: The Spiritual Tradition of Byzantium, Orbis, 2001 ISBN 1-57075-382-2
- Byzantium and Other Poems, Black Gate Press, 1994
- The Book of Mystical Chapters, Shambhala, 2002 ISBN 1-59030-007-6
- The Westminster Handbook To Patristic Theology, 2004 ISBN 0-664-22396-6
- The Westminster Handbook To Origen, 2004 ISBN 0-664-22472-5
- The Orthodox Church: An Introduction to its History, Theology, & Spiritual Culture, 2008
- Curriculum Vitae : Revd. Professor John Anthony McGuckin.
- Faculty page at Union Seminary
- Eileen McGuckin's iconography
- The Road to Nicaea —one of his essays, a description of
- Saint Gregory the Theologian Orthodox Mission English language parish at Union Seminary.