John David Roy Atchison
John David Roy Atchison (August, 1954 – October 5, 2007) was an assistant U.S. Attorney in Florida's northern district who gained notoriety when he was arrested for suspicion of soliciting sex from a 5-year old girl.
Atchison was born in 1954 and held both a bachelor's degree from the University of Florida and a law degree from Cumberland Law School at Samford University in Birmingham, Alabama. He was admitted to the Florida Bar in June 1984 and the Georgia Bar in June 1985. Since the late 1980s, he worked in the U.S. Attorney's office in Pensacola, Florida, working on tax and financial crime cases. He was married to and had three children with Barbara Atchison and lived in Gulf Breeze, near Pensacola.
On September 16, 2007, Atchison was arrested at the Detroit Metropolitan Airport in a sex crime sting operation undertaken by the Macomb County Sheriff's department. He was charged with "enticement of a minor to engage in sexual activity using the Internet", "aggravated sexual abuse" and "traveling across state lines to have sex with someone under the age of 12". At the time of his arrest, he was carrying presents for his intended victim, including a doll and a pair of earrings. Also in his possession was a jar of petroleum jelly. Following his arrest, he tried to kill himself via hanging with a sheet in his jail cell on September 20, 2007. Atchison had been removed from a suicide watch the previous day after assuring his lawyer and a judge that he would not harm himself. He was not injured in the suicide attempt, which another inmate reported about 4 a.m.
- "John David Roy Atchison".
- "Mr. John D Atchison".
- "Fed Caught In Sex Sting Found Dead In Cell". CBS News. October 5, 2007.
- Bunkley, Nick (September 21, 2007). "Prosecutor Attempts Suicide After Arrest in Pedophile Case". The New York Times. pp. A16.
- Bunkley, Nick (September 21, 2007). "Prosecutor Tries to Kill Himself After Arrest in Pedophile Case". The New York Times. Retrieved May 6, 2010.
- Ward, Lee (October 5, 2007). "Atchison Commits Suicide". Wizbang Blue.