John B. Conway
John Bligh Conway is an American mathematician. He is currently the department chairman at the George Washington University. His specialty is functional analysis, particularly bounded operators on a Hilbert space.
Conway earned his BS from Loyola University and Ph.D. from Louisiana State University under the direction of Heron Collins in 1965, with a dissertation on The Strict Topology and Compactness in the Space of Measures. He has had 20 students who obtained doctorates under his supervision, most of them at Indiana University, where he was a close friend of mathematician Max Zorn. He served on the faculty there from 1965 to 1990, when he became head of the mathematics department at University of Tennessee.
He is the author of a two-volume series on Functions of One Complex Variable (Springer-Verlag), which is a standard graduate text.
He is the father of John Bligh Conway II, who currently teaches history at the Anglo American School of St Petersburg, Russia. His grandson is Stephen Jonovich Conway, who attends the AASSP too.
Selected publications 
- Conway, John B. (1978). Functions of One Complex Variable I (Graduate Texts in Mathematics 11). Springer-Verlag. ISBN 0-387-90328-3.
- Conway, John B. (1997). A Course in Functional Analysis. Springer. ISBN 0-387-97245-5.
- Conway, John B. (1996). On Being a Department Head: A Personal View. American Mathematical Society. ISBN 0-8218-0615-7.
- Conway, John B. (1991). The Theory of Subnormal Operators. American Mathematical Society. ISBN 0-8218-1536-9.
- Conway, John B. (1981). Subnormal Operators. Pitman Books Ltd. ISBN 0-8218-2184-9.
- Conway, John B. (1973). "A complete Boolean algebra of subspaces which is not reflexive". Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. 79 (4): 720–722. doi:10.1090/S0002-9904-1973-13279-3.
- Conway, John. "The Strict Topology and Compactness in the space of Measures". Transactions of the American Mathematical Society. American Mathematical Society. JSTOR 1994310.
- Gamelin, T. W. (1993). "Review: The theory of subnormal operators, by John B. Conway". Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. (N.S.) 28 (1): 199–202.
- Muhly, Paul S. (1983). "Review: Subnormal operators, by John B. Conway". Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. (N.S.) 8 (3): 511–515.
|This article about an American mathematician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|